Gallery

Dutch 1/2nd Infantry Battalion

Posted by Bill Slavin on 18 Feb 2023, 16:00

I took another step in creating Laval's 2nd German Division that fought in Spain during the Peninsular war with the completion of the 1st Battalion, 2nd Regiment of the Kingdom of Holland. As I was trying to use up toys in the cupboard this group required quite a bit of conversion, with figures from four different sets being employed. Mostly this involved a lot of head swaps, repositioning of all of the plumes to the sides of the headgear and giving them campaign style trousers. I will include one of my not-so-great WIP's to give an idea of the conversions. If you want to read about the entire adventure there are lots more photos, and a bit of history here on my blog.
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2023/02/dutch-12nd-infantry-regiment.html
As always, I think the figures look better en masse than in their close ups, but I was really happy with how these guys turned out, enjoying challenging myself with the conversions and painting the white on white uniforms.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Feb 2023, 19:27

Very nice conversions and finished product Bill.

Talavera was fought in 1809 and I have an interest in something around that time too.

You mentioned trousers for campaigning and I too have seen evidence of this.

Do you think there would be a mix of gaiters/ trousers for this particular year especially?

It would be very beneficial to my thoughts if so.

Best wishes ,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Feb 2023, 23:01

Very nice conversions Bill. Would these be recruits or drafted in to French service?
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 19 Feb 2023, 01:36

C M Dodson wrote:Very nice conversions and finished product Bill.

Talavera was fought in 1809 and I have an interest in something around that time too.

You mentioned trousers for campaigning and I too have seen evidence of this.

Do you think there would be a mix of gaiters/ trousers for this particular year especially?

It would be very beneficial to my thoughts if so.

Best wishes ,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have a good reference book on the French uniform at this time and according to that trousers started showing up around the turn of the century. Linen trousers were officially authorized for wear in 1802 and all of the French troops that were heading to England were budgeted to be provided with these. Breeches were officially abandoned in 1812 by the French.
Related, above the knee gaiters were worn until 1812 when they were universally replaced by half gaiters. However the light infantry had for some time been cutting down their gaiters to the shape of Hussar boots.
So I think a mix would be quite acceptable. If you message me I can send you the reference.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bill Slavin on 19 Feb 2023, 01:40

Bessiere wrote:Very nice conversions Bill. Would these be recruits or drafted in to French service?
Cheers,
Bessiere

Thanks, Bessiere. These would be fighting as Dutch nationals under command of the French, the same as all the other troops of French puppet states that served in French campaigns. All of those states were required to contribute. Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by k.b. on 19 Feb 2023, 10:43

Another terrific bunch of miniatures to add to your collection. Your output is truly remarkable Bill.
Love the cream/off white and must add that your patience with conversions puts me to shame.
Keep ‘em coming…….
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 19 Feb 2023, 12:09

This is a nice converted, painted and based unit! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Feb 2023, 11:03

Fine work Bill ! A very good looking French 'allied' unit. I wonder how committed these Dutchmen would have been to Napoleon's futile cause in the Iberian Peninsular? My guess is 'not very committed', but I may be wrong on this?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 21 Feb 2023, 11:22

Minuteman wrote:Fine work Bill ! A very good looking French 'allied' unit. I wonder how committed these Dutchmen would have been to Napoleon's futile cause in the Iberian Peninsular? My guess is 'not very committed', but I may be wrong on this?

And I am wondering how a young men from the Netherlands must have felt when he was suprised by the fact he has to fight in Spain, far away from home. At a time when one had not yet taken a package holiday as a student.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 21 Feb 2023, 14:30

MABO wrote:And I am wondering how a young men from the Netherlands must have felt when he was suprised by the fact he has to fight in Spain, far away from home. At a time when one had not yet taken a package holiday as a student.

:-D
I have often wondered the same about the poor Portuguese soldiers that were packed off to fight for Napoleon in the snows of Russia, never to be seen again. Garrison duty in Spain, the fate of these Dutch, would have been pretty well the worst straw to draw - small islands in a sea of hostility.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by MABO on 21 Feb 2023, 15:00

Bill Slavin wrote:
:-D
I have often wondered the same about the poor Portuguese soldiers that were packed off to fight for Napoleon in the snows of Russia, never to be seen again.

Another perfect example!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 21 Feb 2023, 20:54

Those figure look magnificent in their white uniforms, similar to their Spanish enemies', Bill. :notworthy:

It's amazing to see how you have used a wide variety of figures from different manufacturers that fit perfectly once painted. As a big fan of conversions, I especially like the photo showing all of them. :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Gallery