Gallery

Cuirassiers trumpeter

Posted by Bendy_Straw on 09 Feb 2023, 14:12

Just another quick post after I finished the trumpeter for my 1st cuirassiers. Kinda messed up the horse this time, god is white hard to master... Now I only have the officer to paint, as well as the two new general miniatures from franznap which I immediately bought as soon as they were available (I always wanted a French cuirassier general mini on that scale).

Bendy_Straw  Greece

Posted by Bill Slavin on 09 Feb 2023, 14:32

A beautiful paint job, as always, Bendy. And I thought you did a great job on the white horse - I agree, they are very hard to paint and I change my approach every time I paint one! Currently I'm leaning towards a beige underpainting with brown wash to lessen the contrast, and an off white for the top colour to give the figure a bit of warmth. But what you have done is great, really working your dry brush with the musculature to give it shape and depth.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Konrad on 09 Feb 2023, 14:56

Very nice painted figs!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 09 Feb 2023, 16:50

Very good paintjob. Very crisps, precise and clean.

My only thing is: The greycoat and stuff behind the Cuirassier was all blue with white stripes and not red. As far as I know?!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Feb 2023, 17:30

Bravo Bendy. Very nice addition to your cuirassiers. I can't find anything to criticize but might be so bold as to suggest experimenting by adding touches of pink to the muzzle. On white or grey horses it was a very common feature. You are doing what i wish I had the patience to do; paint each figure to perfection before moving on. well done and my respects.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Feb 2023, 18:51

That is a very impressive piece of painting and the photography also displays considerable skill.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bendy_Straw on 09 Feb 2023, 19:48

Here are some pics I use as reference

As I understand it the colour is according to each regiment, so red for the 1st.
Bendy_Straw  Greece

Posted by Bendy_Straw on 09 Feb 2023, 19:49

Thank you for the kind words Bessiere. I don't think I understand what you mean, could you perhaps provide some images?
Bendy_Straw  Greece

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Feb 2023, 20:54

You've got yourself another masterpiece with a so superb paintjob, Bendy. Now your Cuirassier unit looks splendid. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

Best regards. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by ells10 on 09 Feb 2023, 22:06

Nice mate very nice, well done.
ells10  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 09 Feb 2023, 23:37

Superb again. And I think you've got the white of the horse perfect-I wish I could paint horses like that!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Feb 2023, 00:49

Bendy_Straw wrote:Thank you for the kind words Bessiere. I don't think I understand what you mean, could you perhaps provide some images?

Pink makes a nice contrast like this one; https://pethelpful.com/horses/Your-Visu ... -on-Horses
I know for myself I gave much more attention to the riders and horses became an afterthought. I'd like to have both of equal quality and expression for my own painting. It can be tricky to add markings and get them to look right. Seems to help to stay with the more common markings.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 10 Feb 2023, 01:01

Bendy_Straw wrote:Here are some pics I use as reference

As I understand it the colour is according to each regiment, so red for the 1st.

Yes, you are right. seems to me that maybe this changed till the end of the period. Thanks for the pics! :oops:
MABO  Europe

Posted by k.b. on 10 Feb 2023, 03:54

Very nicely painted figure once again Bendy. I personally agree with you that the painting of your rider works much better than the horse….. but as Bill mentioned, grey and white horses are notoriously hard to paint (especially in small scales). I believe it’s because one needs to adjust the camera settings, maybe the white balance , to show up the very subtle changes in grey and white but the problem is that those settings are different to those needed for the rest of the figure. As such one doesn’t just need to be an expert painter to get the grey/white tones of the horse looking good, but one also needs to be an expert photographer. At the end of the day I believe it’s all down to practise, and trial and error!
Ps/ Can’t wait to see your officer and Franznap’s Cuirassier Generals to finish off the unit!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by dykio on 15 Feb 2023, 20:53

Wauw...the rider is really really a masterpiece :shock: :shock: :shock: .

But in al hounestly i think the horse doesnt realy match wel with the rider. Although there is realy nothing wrong with the horse it just looks like its a different style and somehow it just doesnt mix right and distracts from the figure. Which is realy a shame because the rider is so well done.
I hope i dont offend you with my commend it is just my opinion and to be honest i never paint white horses because they are so difficult :-D

regards

dykio
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 15 Feb 2023, 22:56

Another piece of art! :shock: :love:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bendy_Straw on 16 Feb 2023, 03:15

No offense taken! You are correct, since I used a new technique on the white horse and it is the only one in the unit painted like that.

https://youtu.be/JCJBC-AaKUI here is the link for anyone interested, a very nice alternative to painting horses, faster and gives a better look imo if you do it right.
Bendy_Straw  Greece

Return to Gallery