Gallery

Nappy French Light Infantry Conversions - Campaign Style

Posted by Bill Slavin on 04 Feb 2023, 16:44

Here are some more photos of recent work. This time it is a rag tag bunch of French Legere, conversions to a more of a campaign style that I plan to mix in with my existing French HaT Legere, which are lovely sculpts but very parade-groundy.
Most of these are HaT Nassau conversions with the remiander altered HaT Legere. I will show a blurry WIP here to give you a sense of what needed to be converted - mostly longer coat tails - but I have a lot more pictures documenting the conversions here on my blog:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2023/02/french-light-infantry-conversions.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 04 Feb 2023, 17:12

These look very good! I agree with you regarding the relative merits of the two HaT sets you are using here; the Nassau set is one of my favourite sets from this manufacturer - possibly even my favourite - and eminently suitable for French infantry. Your conversions are very effective.

Fine looking French Light infantry for the dry and dusty battlegrounds of the Iberian Peninsular.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 04 Feb 2023, 17:48

Good use of the Nassau set which I agree is very finely sculpted. Size-wise they're a perfect match for the French chasseur sets. What do use to sculpt with Bill? I'm having some issues with greenstuff being too soft. Lovely unit and unique like so much of your work.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 04 Feb 2023, 18:52

Thanks, Minuteman and Bessiere, for the kind words. Yes, the Nassau set is a very nice set and I inherited quite a few figures!
Bessiere, the putty I use is the Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick type. I've never used greenstuff so I'm not certain how they would compare.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Feb 2023, 06:38

Very nice article and conversions Bill.

It is always a treat to see what you have been up to.

The Franznap heads bring personality to the figures.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 05 Feb 2023, 10:16

Very nice conversions! But even if they are styled like for a parade, I really like the HäT French Light Infantry very much! Perfect series of boxes.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 05 Feb 2023, 10:41

A delightful unit of figures to add variety to your French Army. Am not a huge fan of HAT but recognise that the Nassau figures are some of their very best. Beautifully blended together with other figures and several terrific conversions they form a ragged, motley looking unit ready to grace any battlefield. Keep ‘em coming Bill!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by PhilC on 05 Feb 2023, 11:13

Oh oh, highly impressive as always, Master Bill. The figs are nicely painted and rather original for Nappies, the conversions are excellent and make me wish to dive into this period once again, but, over all, there is a unique atmosphere in your pictures that I love - maybe the yellow light and the dark background, the tall grasses in the foreground. Beautiful!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 05 Feb 2023, 15:01

Excellent work Bill!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 05 Feb 2023, 15:08

MABO wrote:Very nice conversions! But even if they are styled like for a parade, I really like the HäT French Light Infantry very much! Perfect series of boxes.

I would agree, Jan, the HaT French Light Infantry sets for this period are among the best and do a really good job of covering all aspects in their series of boxes. I perhaps would have preferred the chasseurs with shakos rather than colpacks, which would have given the option of also using them as crabiniers in some battalions, but that is a small quibble.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Santi Pérez on 05 Feb 2023, 20:50

Another great addition to your peninsular French army, Bill, in this case of a unit with less uniformity than others but with the same fantastic level of finishing. :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 06 Feb 2023, 00:37

Excellent additions!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery