Gallery

The Emperor's Service Squadron's

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 15 Jan 2023, 18:42

The Waterloo project is proceeding at pace, with the attention recently on the area East of La Belle Alliance showcasing the four Service Squadrons of Guard cavalry, the Engineers and Marins of the Guard, two new carriages and two companies of the Foot Artillery of the Guard. I hope you like them.

It's a work in progress. There are more 2nd Lancers to come and the whole of the Empress Dragoon Squadron. I'm incredibly grateful to my many collaborators on this project.

There is still quite a lot of snagging to overcome, with the figures better blended into the scenery but it is coming along.

If you want more please take a look at my blog here: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 15 Jan 2023, 19:32

WOOOOW ! Tremendous seeing this all come together Captain. These gigantic projects are stuff that dreams are made of for all of us overgrown schoolboys………… dream on k.b.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Jan 2023, 20:32

Another visually impressive feast for the eyes Captain.

Lots going on and the ‘ feel’ of the occasion is excellent.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 15 Jan 2023, 21:14

Excellent composition and some very finely painted figures too. I love little details like the lancer carrying a saddle. It's those kinds of details that really bring it to life for me. Funny how those glue strands are invisible until you take pictures isn't it? Kudos to all who brought this section to life. Like Blucher there is only way to go; vorwarts!
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 15 Jan 2023, 22:54

Thanks everyone, yes damn those glue streaks, they will go when I vacuum clean it (and yes, I do)

Posted by Rich W on 16 Jan 2023, 00:50

Fantastic updates. The sheer scale of it looks tremendous, but the little details are what really bring this to life. So many little conversions that catch the key. For all the bulk painting/repetitive poses that you've had to do to create such large units, the amount of thought that has clearly gone into individual figures is just so impressive.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bendy_Straw on 16 Jan 2023, 08:58

Majestic! I am particularly interested to know where you found the mounted old guard officers, and the generals. I can't seem to find figures like these anywhere except the zvezda and italeri hq set.
Bendy_Straw  Greece

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 16 Jan 2023, 09:59

Thanks Bendy Straw. I'm not yet happy with it as some of the transitions from base to scenery are too stark. The figures are from all the usual metal manufacturers as well as many conversions. Metals being Art Miniaturen, Franznap, Qualicast, Hagen, etc.

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 16 Jan 2023, 18:01

People seem to enjoy the vignettes as well as the massed Napoleonic troops, so here are some close-ups. The camera is cruel in this scale!!

Hope you enjoy!

Posted by Iceman1964 on 16 Jan 2023, 18:41

Astonishing for dimensions and quality ! it's the famous slogan "think big" that become true :-D
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Konrad on 16 Jan 2023, 19:47

My god, what a fantastic work.
My deepest respect!!
What does your wife say about that?
Is this your living room?
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Jan 2023, 20:59

Iceman1964 wrote:Astonishing for dimensions and quality !...

This is also my first thought every time I see pictures of so huge masses of troops, so well arranged and so well painted. :shock:

Captain Sibourne wrote:People seem to enjoy the vignettes as well as the massed Napoleonic troops, so here are some close-ups. The camera is cruel in this scale!!...

I know very well what you mean about this camera cruelty. Despite it your close-ups are as good as the panoramic views. :drool:

My very best congratulations, Captain Sibourne! :thumbup:
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 16 Jan 2023, 21:46

Many thanks! No, not the living room; My wife is long suffering, but not that long suffering...

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 16 Jan 2023, 21:47

Many thanks! No, not the living room; My wife is long suffering, but not that long suffering...

Posted by Bessiere on 16 Jan 2023, 21:52

The camera may be cruel but at close range shows the painstaking work done to paint a plethora of details, none of which can be made in large group shots. Half the story can be told through vignettes which makes for a more personal view to contrast with the larger group events. From a distance I thought i saw Andre the giant ( or Mortier perhaps though out with sciatica?) among the Old guard grenadiers; now I'm sure of it. The Chasseurs and Dutch lancers do look extraordinary.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 17 Jan 2023, 06:24

Thank you Bessiere, your Cuirassiers are obviously not on these sections being more in the fight. I look forward to seeing your vignettes and have just ordered the new Franznap Cuirassier casualties.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 17 Jan 2023, 11:25

Unbelievable numbers of figures!
Can you tell us something about the time represented in the dio?
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sansovino on 17 Jan 2023, 19:52

It´s big, it´s great, it´s glorious! I can´t imagine how many hours you have invested in this super-project. Hope, you will find a site or an institution where you can present this project permantly. It has to go around the world to enjoy still more then only us in the forum.
It´s a great pleasure to study your many scenes and interactions - so the camera-eye in close-up don´t have to disturb you, maestro!
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Jan 2023, 19:59

All quite magnificent! The points of detail are also marvellous, and can sometimes be hidden by the spectacle of the mass formations; I'm thinking here of, for instance, the detail of the Imperial coach, the cuirassier carrying a wounded comrade on his horse, and the figures 'in conference' around a table, tending to the wounded, or just awaiting orders or simply waiting to see what happens next.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 17 Jan 2023, 20:21

Many thanks all, this project certainly favours the juxtaposition of massed troops with the small details. The time of the diorama is 1800 which I calculate to the moment in the battle with the most happening - Hougoumont under attack, the French cavalry charges, La Haye Sainte about to fall, D'Erlon's Corps skirmishing with the Allied left of centre, the assault on Papelotte, the battle for Plancenoit and what you see here at La Belle Alliance.

Next page

Return to Gallery