Gallery

The Emperor's Service Squadron's

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Jan 2023, 01:04

The true chaos of large battles recreated in miniature so we can sit like angels on the clouds and look down upon history as its being made. Grand dioramas seem to suggest that to me anyway.
I just noticed the leopard shabraque on the Red Lancer officers mount. Superb! Apologies for failing to mention the excellent layout which in all probability is how troops were actually deployed and moved through the area. Arranging the units then the figures within each group while creating a larger whole is multitasking of the highest order. Visually stunning each section alone by itself but when all brought together? A maze of human activity during a few hours of conflict that defined the end of an era and beginning of another. It set the course of European history for a century but when you look closely you discover it's a landscape of individuals very much like ourselves, each performing a part that determined the outcome. Were we alive back then any one of those models might represent us. Odds were 1 in 3 you would die or be wounded. A few found fame but most would be emotionally scarred from being there for an afternoon facing death squarely in the face. I get so many random thoughts from viewing the sections, sorry for any babbling.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 18 Jan 2023, 17:46

Thank you Bessiere, it's kind comments like that which keep me motivated!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jan 2023, 18:29

Thank you for so many pictures of that awesome project.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 24 Jan 2023, 15:29

Very impressive! Can't stop watching the images! :love:

But I have a question. If that building in the back is the last HQ of the Emperor, it is situated at the wrong side of the road.
You can find more info here: https://www.dernier-qg-napoleon.be/en/home/
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 25 Jan 2023, 23:23

Hi Peter, you are referring to Le Caillou which is well to the south. Napoleon spent the night at Le Caillou before moving north to spend most of the battle at Rossomme (which no longer exists) and then later he came further north still to Decoster's House and then to La Belle Alliance, the inn shown in this picture. The building you can see to the south of La Belle Alliance is Trimotion, which is on the west side of the road. Off these sections of the diorama are, in turn: Decoster's house, La Maison Rouge, Rossomme and then much further south Le Caillou. Rest assured, La Belle Alliance sits on the east side of the road and is correctly positioned. Further more, Le Caillou is also on the east side of the road. The diorama is exactly modelled on the Siborne model.

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Jan 2023, 14:39

Somehow I missed this when it was first posted. An absolute feast for the eyes and a jaw-dropping amount of work. Thank you for sharing this - I am glad to see that this glorious project continues to go forward.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 27 Jan 2023, 00:29

Thank you Bill, much appreciated!

Posted by Peter on 31 Jan 2023, 23:06

Captain Sibourne wrote:Hi Peter, you are referring to Le Caillou which is well to the south. Napoleon spent the night at Le Caillou before moving north to spend most of the battle at Rossomme (which no longer exists) and then later he came further north still to Decoster's House and then to La Belle Alliance, the inn shown in this picture. The building you can see to the south of La Belle Alliance is Trimotion, which is on the west side of the road. Off these sections of the diorama are, in turn: Decoster's house, La Maison Rouge, Rossomme and then much further south Le Caillou. Rest assured, La Belle Alliance sits on the east side of the road and is correctly positioned. Further more, Le Caillou is also on the east side of the road. The diorama is exactly modelled on the Siborne model.

Thank you Captain! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 05 Feb 2023, 11:32

Impossible not to keep coming back to this thread for inspiration captain.
Thank you and congratulations. Truly mind-blowing!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Previous page

Return to Gallery