Gallery

My no longer friend Mar updated and improved

Posted by Santi Pérez on 05 Dec 2022, 21:10

Some of you may remember my post from February 2021 entitled “My friend Mar”. It was about a figure I made taking a co-worker named Mar as model. I was happy with the result, as she was when I gave her the gift.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24458&hilit=My+friend+Mar

One year after that first project, I decided to make another portrait of her, but this time more likesome the real person.

Said and done, I made it and was very satisfied with the result achieved. It really looked a lot like real Mar. I gave it to her on the occasion of her birthday last May and once again she also seemed happy to receive the gift and thanked me very much.

Why then the title of this post?

Well, just before summer vacation, there was a disagreement between Mar and I, which caused us to say an angry goodbye. I thought that when we got back from holidays the problem would have been forgotten and we would be friends again as before. But I was wrong. When we got back in September, I was surprised that she had decided to stop talking to me. :(

And that’s still the situation now, quite unpleasant indeed. Although I still don't understand the reason very well, I have already managed to accept it and that is why I have decided to post this latest project dedicated to what I thought was my friend Mar.

Let's get down to business! :-D

A first picture to compare the new vignette with the previous one:

Image Image

This has been the first time I have used a 3D printed figure. This was the original figure, from Shapeways Miniatures:

The only change the original figure needed was changing her hair to resemble Mar's. I made the conversion, as always, using white wood glue. I also had to make new heels out of thin copper wire coated with PVA glue, as the original ones were broken during handling. This was the result:

Perhaps it can be better appreciated with the figure primmed in white:

And now, as I use to do, the usual sequence of images showing the figure in the three stages of the painting process, from four different angles.

Front view:

Image Image Image

Right view:

Image Image Image

Back view:

Image Image Image

Left view:

Image Image Image

With the figure finished, I needed an appropriate setting to complete the vignette. Taking in mind that Mar is a Physics and Chemistry teacher, what better than a periodic table of the chemical elements behind her?

The periodic table is an image taken from the internet, reduced to scale and printed on self-adhesive paper, while I made the support for it from four pieces of cardboard, reinforced with PVA glue, glued in position and painted white. Then I placed all the elements on a round base:

Image Image Image

And here are several pictures of the finished vignette viewed from different angles, beginning with the first one for scale purposes:

This was the final presentation I prepared for the gift. Firstly, I mounted the base on a cork and then I covered it with a dome cut to size from a small glass jar:

I hope you like this project. Thanks for watching. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Dec 2022, 00:53

Your precise painting never fails you. Aso quite the adept at making anatomically correct figures and very exacting about proportions. Kudos Santi. I got nothing to say about your relationship with this person except Good luck? But your modelling is fantastic my friend.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Dec 2022, 06:19

Nice figure Santi Peréz. You put a lot of work into it. Wonderful result. Sorry that you had a misunderstanding with your friend.

Friendships between co-workers and men and women can be tricky sometimes due to all the different dynamics involved. I wish you the best.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by sberry on 06 Dec 2022, 08:31

This figure looks absolutely fantastic, like all your work. And being a chemist myself, I also love the periodic table in this vignette - that's definitely something you don't see that often in 1/72 scale.

The story behind these pictures is sad, and there is no simple advice that one could give you. Painting those tiny figures in our hobby is very tricky - but maintaining friendships and good relations to other people can be even more tricky...
sberry  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Dec 2022, 10:09

Agree with the others. Both about your work and the relationship. And I really love what you do! Even if it is not in marzipan! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Dec 2022, 10:28

Santi, I am sorry to hear of your disagreement with Mar. I hope that one day she will again become more friendly towards you and that you will be on better terms.

This is an excellent model, and thank you for the explanation of how it was put together. I very much like the details eg: periodic table. Fine work, and with a story to go with it.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by blacksmith on 06 Dec 2022, 11:16

It's hard to work with somebody who doesn't speak to you, especially if you're found of that person. I wish you the best.
Oh, and the vignette is fantastic, as usual :)
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Konrad on 06 Dec 2022, 12:48

I'm sorry to hear that your good relationship has ended.
Maybe you can find a way to make up.
I would wish you that,my dear friend.
Your figure turned out very beautiful as always.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kekso on 06 Dec 2022, 18:26

Santi Pérez wrote: Although I still don't understand the reason very well

I have rough idea what's the reason... she's a woman :mrgreen:

Nice work BTW. :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 06 Dec 2022, 23:54

Really nice Santi!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 07 Dec 2022, 11:56

Sorry to hear this Santi! :(

But this is another very nice piece of work of you! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Dec 2022, 21:26

I have to thank you very much for your words in the two aspects discussed in my post, my dear friends.

First of all, it's great to have so many good people by your side (even if it's through the forum) supporting you in an unpleasant situation. :thumbup:

And, on top of the above, it's even better to have the admiration for your work from hobby colleagues of such recognized prestige as all of you. :love1:

You always have to see the positive side of things and I am very optimistic. Even if I don't manage to recover my previous friendship with Mar (which I think is most likely), at least it helped me to produce two interesting vignettes. Plus, I know every time she sees them they'll remind her coworker, that's me. :mrgreen:

I just want to clarify that this time the central figure of the vignette has almost no conversions on my part, apart from the transformed hair and the added heels. ;-)

Best regards, my friends. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Dec 2022, 23:25

Kekso wrote:
I have rough idea what's the reason... she's a woman :mrgreen:

Nice work BTW. :thumbup:

Yep, men are from Mars, women from Venus. Small wonder we don't understand each other!

:sweatdrop:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Dec 2022, 14:54

I'm going to stay with three of the opinions that you have put here. Two funniest (Kekso's and Harry Faversham's) and one more serious (sberry's):

Kekso wrote:...I have rough idea what's the reason... she's a woman...

Harry Faversham wrote:...Yep, men are from Mars, women from Venus. Small wonder we don't understand each other!...

sberry wrote:...Painting those tiny figures in our hobby is very tricky - but maintaining friendships and good relations to other people can be even more tricky...

Best regards to all. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Dec 2022, 18:06

Not that i have vast experience but I am over 60 and have been married twice. Sad as it is my experience is when a woman says it's over then it is. They stopped caring which is not easy to digest (blow to my ego anyway) but it's like nature - you can't change it. Accept, forgive anything related and move on or you only hurt yourself. Anything meant to be will when the time is right. I know this must bother you immensely or you wouldn't have shared it here. It can be very hard to care for people who don't return the same, I learned the hard way.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Dec 2022, 20:30

Bessiere wrote:...I know this must bother you immensely or you wouldn't have shared it here...

You are right, Bessiere. It has been hard for me to digest, especially since I'm not able to guess the reason that caused that inexplicable reaction. :shock:

Fortunately, you always have the opportunity to make new friends wherever you are. :winky:

And, more fortunately, I have been very lucky with my wife, who must be the closest and most important person in my life, along with our daughter. We have been together for almost 32 years (she's 59 and I am 60), the last 28 married (a complete exercise in mutual patience, tolerance and adaptation). :mrgreen:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Dec 2022, 22:52

We're very similar, I'm 63 and have been with my wife for 27 years. Glad this wasn't over a love interest as they can be soul-crushing affairs. Its great to be married to your best friend.
Cheers,
Besseire

Posted by Bill Slavin on 11 Dec 2022, 02:54

But tough when a good friend freezes you out of their life, especially if it's not clear why! I love that you created these vignettes - such a kind and thoughtful gift.

Best wishes,
Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by santifernandez on 11 Dec 2022, 21:03

nice job and a not so nice story, I hope you can fix the matter with your partner even if it is difficult.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 13 Dec 2022, 19:33

I am late but nevertheless impressed by your work. The story behind is interesting. May I ask you what's your work? Chemistry is a great field of operations. I love the period system in the vignette. It makes it special.
MABO  Europe

Next page

Return to Gallery