Gallery

Upgrading my Napoleonic Austrian Artillery

Posted by Fire at Will on 28 Oct 2022, 08:21

The only source of a decent Austrian Limber in 20mm is in the Austrian Cavalry Artillery set, which is virtually unobtainable at sensible prices, so when I found an STL file for $3.50 I had to get it and print off as many as needed to replace my old Airfix limbers, so here is the result after rebasing as well.

The limber is not perfect as the gun pivot is over the centre of the axle and as a result the ammunition box is too far forward, but it was close enough for my purposes and better than what I had been using.

I did attempt to adjust the file using 3D builder, but the task was beyond the capabilities of my PC.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 28 Oct 2022, 09:55

Most important is, that you are content, with the result. I think it is really cool what you can do witht the 3D printer. :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Oct 2022, 11:00

These look good. I applaud your efforts & if there are minor discrepancies, most people won't notice & the rest won't care.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MikeRC97 on 28 Oct 2022, 12:29

Great stuff as usual Will.

If you don’t mind me asking - where do you buy STL files? I’ve yet to invest in a 3D printer but I know it’s just a matter of time before I do.
MikeRC97  

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Oct 2022, 12:30

Hi,

It might be too late but Rupert at Drum and Flag has these on sale at £6.99 a box.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 28 Oct 2022, 14:38

C M Dodson wrote:Hi,

It might be too late but Rupert at Drum and Flag has these on sale at £6.99 a box.

Best wishes,

Chris

Typical, just looked at Models2u and they are in stock there as well at £6.29

MikeRC97 wrote:Great stuff as usual Will.

If you don’t mind me asking - where do you buy STL files? I’ve yet to invest in a 3D printer but I know it’s just a matter of time before I do.

I don't buy many as most are freely available, you just have to find them on Thingiverse, etc. I originally started with this article, which is still relevant and has useful links.
https://home3dprints.com/3d-printing-model-tanks-for-tabletop-gaming/?fbclid=IwAR2TYWZKn8YbnyB0iilyXaSgWjrQhF_rSSk7mu5XbK4HgNL_vu3yKxmvjlQ

Most purchases have been on Wargaming3D, but I tend to check around as they are often available in other locations, sometimes cheaper depending on exchange rates.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Oct 2022, 16:07

I have an extra box I was sent by mistake. Not a big fan of the horses in the set nor trying to fit the harness bits to the horses and limber. The riders look a bit oversized in relation as well and the rubbery plastic all mine came in was awful to try to work with. But either you go cheap and buy HaT plastic or pay for metals. Yours look great Will, you take a lot more care in the groundwork than I do.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Fire at Will on 29 Oct 2022, 14:20

I was putting away the rebased limbers and realised that using them with non rebased gunners would look odd so I decided to do them as well.

The 6 foot guns all have HaT crews, but still have my old Airfix gun conversions (RHA barrels, axles and wheels and French artillery trails)

The 3 horse guns have Hinton Hunt crews and Revell SYW guns

While doing it I realised that I had 9 guns but only 8 limbers, luckily I had printed a couple of spare limbers.

Posted by Rich W on 30 Oct 2022, 00:03

You're a very busy man Will! Excellent updates again!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery