Gallery

Beginner field airfield in 1/72 (with my first Figures)

Posted by agrippa on 21 Oct 2022, 07:53

I wanted to show you my field airfield in 1/72. It shows my first steps in dioramas and model building in general. I built my first model 14 months ago. I started with a piece of Styrodur where I basically just wanted to try out different floor types. It wasn't actually supposed to be a diorama. You can see the result of these tests here. There are some premieres: First diorama, first etched parts (Kübelwagen), first towel, my first figures, the first flowers, first resin, the first barrels and much more . It all took a long time because unfortunately I have very little time to devote myself to this wonderful hobby and most of it is really new to me.
There are still a lot of improvements and mistakes that I want to make better with the next "diorama" but not with this one anymore. At some point it is good and something new has to be done. For the next diorama I want to build a scene with a tank, I want to build a British Sherman in France but I still have to do a lot of research. If anyone has a good source for biulders and information please write. Criticism and suggestions for improvement of everything you see are welcome. I also have pictures of the construction if anyone wants to see the misery.
Thanks for reading and for watching
Regards

agrippa  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Oct 2022, 12:36

Very nice indeed with a real ‘feel’ of the time.

The Stuka is brilliant as is the composition.

If you used Thomas’s outdoor photo technique these would look even better.

However, you do need a nice outdoor space and the weather as well!

I tried it but the town I live in means the views are not the best.

The whole thing is really lovely although ( I have been schooled by the excellent eye of Mr Crynns) ) I notice a non Luftwaffe registration on that excellent kubelwagen.

Ho ho.

For British tanks and painting etc try John Bonds blog.

He knows his stuff and the work is exceptional.

http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/2018/04/lat ... nting.html

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 21 Oct 2022, 13:00

What do you mean with "Beginner"?
Very nice work.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by agrippa on 21 Oct 2022, 13:21

thank you for your feedback!
if you notice something please write it down! I am grateful for any information where I can improve

@CM Dodson
the wrong registration comes from the fact that a major of the army instructs the gentlemen from the air force.
Yes, the subject of photography is still very much in need of improvement. I will improve myself.

thanks for the link.

@Konrad
"beginner"? I mean that all you see is the first time I do something like this.
I made one figure before these guys but that was rubbish.
I'm doing everything for the first time in my life.Except for the plane, i made two planes before...they look horrible :D
I've only just now noticed a lot of the mistakes.
Forget the windshield of the Kübelwagen, the wheel of the bomb-wagon is hanging in the air, no oil stains in the bearing, misplaced grass ....the list keeps getting longer
The plate should actually only be an exercise for future dioramas. It later became a diorama, I would do it differently today.
I'm currently gathering information on the British in France, either 1940 or 1944 I'm still undecided.
agrippa  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Oct 2022, 14:09

Hi,

I spotted the registration and your explanation is excellent.

I never spotted the windscreen!

It matters not, as this is really lovely. The camera never lies and I am well accustomed to seeing swords sticking out of heads etc that I never spotted when taking the pictures .

Keep up the good work, your standard is already exceptional in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Bessiere on 21 Oct 2022, 20:03

Nice work. Nothing about this looks "beginner", everything is well painted and arranged. You have a good knack for putting together such scenes. It looks like a forward AB on the Russian front early summer '41 when even Stukas could fly unmolested. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 21 Oct 2022, 21:05

If my first jobs would be like this, I would be really happy. In my eyes this really looks very nice and the models are on a good level. More weathering is possible but depenvds on the idea you have of the whole scene. So I will follow your next project with great interest.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 22 Oct 2022, 10:54

A fine little diorama, with lots of very good painting and modelling on show. Well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 22 Oct 2022, 17:54

First of all: Welcome on this forum! :thumbup:

And you did a great job on that diorama. My first work here didn't look that good as yours. ;-) :thumbup:

And yes I would like to see the misery, I mean the building process! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Iceman1964 on 22 Oct 2022, 18:31

I agree with the ones before me much, much better of my first diorama (it was an horrible Napoleonic guard parade). Go on with the second diorama, anxious to see it ;-)
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Santi Pérez on 22 Oct 2022, 19:51

First of all, welcome to the forum, agrippa. :-D

agrippa wrote:..."beginner"? I mean that all you see is the first time I do something like this...

Wow, in that case I can't even imagine what you will achieve once you improve your painting style and diorama making techniques. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great work. My very best congratulations! :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Oct 2022, 01:04

I would agree with the rest of those on this forum - an amazing first go! Nothing “beginner” about it and I look forward to seeing more in the future. No one has singled out the figures so I will - very nice tonal work on the flesh and faces and nice shading on the clothing.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 23 Oct 2022, 09:33

Wow, this is a very impressive start and it doesn´t look like beginner at all. The overall composition, weathering, groundwork, figure painting.....everything very very convincing.

Keep up the good work!
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by tullo on 23 Oct 2022, 17:40

hello
first of all welcome
no no misery very nicely painted
greetings

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :-D 8) :mrgreen:
tullo  Germany

Posted by JurgenH on 23 Oct 2022, 20:24

Hi
You built a wonderful dio there. everything fits together nicely. They staged the zvezda airfied set well.
I also like the stuka very much. A tip maybe. Nets and mats were often laid on field airfields so that the plane and the equipment did not sink into the mud after a thunderstorm.
Are you interested in personal contact in Germany?
Jürgen
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by agrippa on 24 Oct 2022, 13:44

Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for the figures, it's the set of Zvezda German Airfield ground crew, The other figures are from a very very old Preiser set (pilots) and CMK (Major Frankenstein's hand).
There is still a lot to improve, especially the accuracy with which I work.

Major Frankensteins Hand
the figure on the right had a gap on the shoulder that I forgot to fill with putty.
He got a towel.

With the Stuka, I first tried pre-shading. That was good at the bottom.
unfortunately I painted the top when it was too warm in summer. As a result, the right side of the wing is extremely rough and the paint has not turned out nice there.

I like the Kübelwagen best, that was the last thing I did. At first I just wanted to let the two pilots drive it to the airfield. When I realized that I only had a wrong license plate, the major came to the diorama.
The biggest problem here were the etched parts.
they're so tiny...*PLINK* one of the hooks has disappeared into the carpet.
I never found it again.
It must now be a piece of flattened copper wire.

@JurgenH
That's one of the things I'll definitely do differently next time. Either a wooden floor or nets. See above, that was never planned and just grew. I became more and more dissatisfied with the fact that I didn't plan anything before.

Contact would definitely be great.
agrippa  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Oct 2022, 14:10

Fabulous stuff and those figures/ painting are brilliant.

As stated I love the kubelwagen.

The towel idea is great. One tip on join lines is to paint some PVA to fill it.

Welcome !

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by JurgenH on 24 Oct 2022, 18:45

Hi Thomas you have a PM
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by Rich W on 29 Oct 2022, 23:57

What a fantastic first diorama to share with us! Really good work on the figures, vehicle and groundwork.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery