Gallery

New Late Roman Figures

Posted by ToneTW on 08 Feb 2022, 01:24

Thanks Owen I'm pleased to get some miniatures finished! Before Christmas the heap of lead I was mass preparing was never ending, it felt glacial with only doing short sessions!
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 08 Feb 2022, 06:19

Those look really good. How did you get the chain mail to look like that?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by ToneTW on 08 Feb 2022, 09:56

Thanks Bluefalchion! For chainmail I usually have a black base coat followed by a gunmetal metallic paint (old citadel boltgun metal currently). This time I applied a bit of a black wash in certain areas like under the arms, the belt and if the dry brush was a bit too heavy I applied a bit there too.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Feb 2022, 10:21

Very tasty figures.

I'm a little critical of the Newline horses eg front legs moving & rear standing still & why don't they have ears? However, your skill with the paint brush makes me forgive the sculpting.

Have you an enemy organised to fight these fine Late Romans?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by ToneTW on 08 Feb 2022, 21:32

Cheers Donald! The miss casts are something that has been noted, Sean had said that he may have to remould them.

Enemy wise I have some Goths and more Romans! I'm still not sure which direction the project will go, I was even thinking of using the Hat Eld Cid Moors as Arab enemies. I would love some Arthurians! In general I am looking at a more fantasy dark age type project..... a long way down the line though.

After painting some examples I have some painting to do for my friend before returning to the Mid republican era!
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Chariobaude on 17 Feb 2022, 21:13

ToneTW wrote:A few comparison pictures between the Newline and Hat late Romans for Chariobaude to check out, my view is if you are happy mixing the Hat sets with the other Hat sets you should find the Newlines slot in well more pictures on the blog:

https://showparade.blogspot.com/2022/02/late-roman-cavalry-comparison.html

thank you very much tony for answering my question, it helps me a lot!
As you note yourself in your blog, even (especially?) Hät is unable to respect a similar scale between its different sets... Nevertheless it is undeniable that if the two manufacturers can be mixed without problem, their respective miniatures have a different "air".
On the other hand, thanks to you, I realize that I have missed out on a superb set of a late Roman commanding officer on horseback: it is surely thanks to your talents as a painter, but it is undoubtedly the nicest !
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ToneTW on 18 Feb 2022, 01:01

Thanks Charlobaude! Pleased it was useful, I have just this evening received the Newline Guard Infantry and Cataphracts. I'll not get them painted in good time but I will get some pictures of the raw casts posted as soon as I can.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Marvin on 19 Feb 2022, 17:06

Excellent work. When I first started painting 1/72 I began with late Roman figures and these bring it all back - the yoke on the clothing, the draco, the cataphracts, the Chi rho symbols, etc, etc. These show me what could have been achieved it I'd stuck at it and not been seduced by the colourful Napoleonics.

Very skilled work indeed. :thumbup:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 20 Feb 2022, 06:51

Very good painted cavalry, Tony!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Michael Robert on 22 Feb 2022, 21:00

Hello Tone
I like your painted figures of these late Romans very much. Also good to see the offers from Tumbling dice - never looked at these figures before. The comparison with Hat is interesting. Seems that shortly the new sets Linear-A could also fit well into this period. So a new page of history will open more and wide to us. Chariobaude will be less lonesome in this period of time :-)
Keep up your great work
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by ToneTW on 23 Feb 2022, 01:13

Thanks! The Linear A masters look fantastic I will hopefully get those sets when the time comes, I am still needing to get their Successor sets which is my main era! But going of the sculpting style of Linear B's Mithridatic set the sculpting style will match well with the Newline sculpts.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Chariobaude on 24 Feb 2022, 21:48

Michael Robert wrote:Hello Tone
I like your painted figures of these late Romans very much. Also good to see the offers from Tumbling dice - never looked at these figures before. The comparison with Hat is interesting. Seems that shortly the new sets Linear-A could also fit well into this period. So a new page of history will open more and wide to us. Chariobaude will be less lonesome in this period of time :-)
Keep up your great work
Michael

we need more late roman freaks !! :xd:
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Feb 2022, 07:30

Chariobaude wrote:[
we need more late roman freaks !! :xd:

You, sir, have offended me.

I'll have you know I am NOT a "Late Roman freak".
I am, however, a "Late Roman Weirdo".

donald :xd:
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by koshkimishki on 02 Mar 2022, 15:31

Very nice work!
koshkimishki  United States of America

Previous page

Return to Gallery