Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Mar 2022, 09:19

Thank you to everyone for their very kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

The re-fight is essentially as always, a war-game as Bill has alluded to with his dice observation, with the photographs being the documentary evidence of events.

This method provides interesting opportunities for pictures as the action progresses.

The elevated pictures of the Antietam heights are obtained by one of my extensions being raised on wooden blocks.

I must thank my very good friend Thomas Mischak for painting and providing some of the Speira figures seen in these pictures. His painting skill far exceeds mine.

Thank you again.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Mar 2022, 19:03

So your process is part wargame! I wasn’t sure, but had always assumed the shots were reconstructions of the actual battle. I would love to know more about your whole process visa vi the gaming part.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Mar 2022, 19:59

Hi Bill.

The re fights are to a scale of 1 mm equals 1 metre.

The rules are my own using movement and firing tables.

The artillery is ala Charles Grant with a measurement stick and diced variables.

I have pinched the Black Powder movement idea which introduces unpredictable results on occasion. I like the blunder idea too.

The late Peter introduced me to these rules a few years ago.

Morale is a major factor.

I am considering delays to the arrival of the various Corps but the BP movement rule may be enough for my purpose.

Casualties are replaced with suitable figures and the originals can then make up new units saving a lot of painting.

All troops are individually moved. Time consuming but fairly easy on my sand table.

Any unit losing fifty per cent or more is finished for the day.

A bit of paperwork keeps the battlefield clear of dice, markers, coffee cups etc.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Mar 2022, 22:45

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. Outside of the game mechanics, I guess you are photographing after every turn (or when the table tells an important part of the story) covering bases with flocking etc. for the shot? I’m totally fascinated by this as I love the interplay between game and art that you create, and the whole idea of narrative and story-telling within the framework of wargaming. Very cool.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Rich W on 08 Mar 2022, 00:18

Wonderful as always Chris. I look forward to the next instalment. I agree with Bill, very interesting to hear how you're doing it as both wargaming as well as appearing to be as good as any dioramas out there.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 13 Mar 2022, 02:11

Magnificent Chris. Simply magnificent!
Congratulations!!!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by huib on 13 Mar 2022, 12:59

Fantastic work, Chris. You do real storytelling, and your scenes are beautiful and very dramatic.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 18 Mar 2022, 20:57

The terrain and the distribution of the different units are simply perfect. Superb work, Chris! :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Apr 2022, 16:51

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862 6.45 AM to 7.00 AM .
Overview.

The Union First Corps, Major General Joseph Hooker commanding is attacking in a broad sweep from the East to the West woods.

The Union First Division, Brigadier General Abner Doubleday commanding is making good progress into the West woods with the Iron Brigade, led by Brigadier General John Gibbon engaged in fierce fighting.

Meanwhile, Union Sharpshooters of the 2nd United States Sharpshooters under Colonel Henry A V Prost are engaging the Confederate forces under Brigadier General Jubal A Early.

In the centre, the Union Third Brigade of the Third Division, Colonel Thomas Gallagher commanding, has been flanked by Virginians of Winders Brigade.

These crack troops of the ‘Stonewall Brigade’, commanded by Colonel Andrew Grigsby, unleash devastating volleys into the Federals from behind the Hagerstown Pike fence. The shaken Third Brigade is forced to retire as a result.

Meanwhile, First Brigade, Second Division, Brigadier General Abram Duryee commanding has taken significant casualties from Confederates on the Smoketown road and has also been forced to regroup.

However, the rest of Brigadier General Ricketts Union Second Division is clearing the East Woods and pushing the Confederate defenders back towards the Mumma farm.

The Confederate artillery under Colonel S D Lee around the Dunkard church are coming under increasingly effective Union artillery fire.

Major General Joseph Hooker and his Corps staff, positioned by the Miller farm spring house, receive news that the Union Twelfth Corps under the command of Major General Joseph K F Mansfield is approaching the East woods.

Forwards, the Union forever!

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Apr 2022, 18:27

Another fantastic chapter of this wonderful story, Chris. You always leave us wanting to see more. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 06 Apr 2022, 19:25

It's just like a movie, exciting work here! Go on Chris! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Apr 2022, 19:58

Stunning work Mr. D, my highest compliments to you. As you may have guessed I am enamored by your exploding caisson - brilliantly executed! I am mystified by your ability to plan and execute such a number of highly detailed scenes complete with authentic structures and landscape. Your attention to detail is consummate and as I've said before your images may as well be still pictures taken during the action itself. Especially in these times of pervasive technology seeing the results of your meticulous hand crafting is most inspiring.

FWIW I live about 2 miles from Ft Early and reside in the town he spent his life in. The battle of Lynchburg was a small affair but critical in keeping the supply lines to Richmond open from the West. Early, Gordon and Breckinridge chased Union Gen Hunter over the Blue Ridge mountains. Lynchburg was saved by train whistles blowing and crowds cheering in a successful bluff to convince Hunter reinforcements were arriving by the hour. Magruder's tactics still worked like they did against McClellan.

Epic?amazing?fantastic?; words fall short to describe your work.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Apr 2022, 04:11

Epic in every way. Well presented too. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Apr 2022, 08:26

More fantastic modelling, painting, presentation and photography. A spectacular set of images !!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Apr 2022, 09:09

You really are the master of TV-shows/movies in this scale! Totally fantasicsupermarvelous!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by John Simmons on 07 Apr 2022, 15:56

Somehow it keeps getting better and better. Your posts are always the highlights of my days -- perhaps a sad fact, but true nonetheless -- and I keep returning to them again and again. Thanks again for sharing all the ingenious, clever modelling and wonderful presentations.

John
John Simmons  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 07 Apr 2022, 20:26

Another great addition to the tale, Chris. Like Bessieres, I especially liked the very dramatic exploding caisson.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 May 2022, 16:40

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862 7.15 AM

Timeline 7.15 AM

Captain John Pelham has been forced by heavy Union counter battery fire to re locate from the Nicodemus Heights to the Hauser Ridge behind the West Woods.

Union artillery under Captain J Albert Munro have also repositioned themselves by the Miller farmhouse to support the first Divisions attack.

First Division, Brigadier General Abner Doubleday commanding are engaged with Confederates by the West woods. Serious losses are now slowing the advance.

The Union Third Division under Brigadier General George G Meade are continuing their advance towards the Smoketown road although the impetus is slowing, again due to heavy casualties.

Major General Thomas J. Jackson is conferring with Brigadier John B. Hood as to wether his last reserve, currently breakfasting in the West Wood, should be committed.

Confederate wounded seek solace behind the Dunkard church.

Colonel S.D. Lee’s artillery reserve are still in action despite mounting losses from effective Union artillery fire.

Confederates from Brigadier General Roswell S. Ripley’s Brigade are defending the Mumma cemetery adjacent to the Smoketown road as the Union advance from the East wood continues.

These are the last fresh unit the Confederates have in this area.

The First Corps assault is now flagging due to the losses incurred.

However, the Twelfth Corps, Major General Joseph K. F. Mansfield commanding has started to arrive between the North and East woods and is preparing to deploy.

An ADC from Major General Joseph Hooker delivers orders to expedite this deployment, to maintain the pressure on the battered Confederate line.

Mansfield, inexperienced and recently appointed to command is eager for the fray!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 03 May 2022, 17:32

Things are looking shaky for the Confederates!
Thanks again for bringing this battle alive in miniature, Chris. As always, your staging, buildings and terrain are spectacular, and your figures fill it with the chaos of battle (and at times, horror - is that a head being blown off??! :shock: )

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bessiere on 03 May 2022, 18:07

Bravo Mr D! A gorgeous selection of battle scenes you have created and photographed with consummate skill. I had an ancestor with Hood's brigade so I follow this thread with particular interest. How he survived the war is anyone's guess but since he opened a general store after the war family has surmised he may have been in the commissary.
Bessiere  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery