Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2023, 13:37

C M D,awesome inspiring display. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by k.b. on 14 Jan 2023, 14:35

Lost for adjectives to describe your work Chris. Every picture tells a story and those stories are beautifully woven together…..
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 14 Jan 2023, 14:35

Lost for adjectives to describe your work Chris. Every picture tells a story and those stories are beautifully woven together…..
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 14 Jan 2023, 17:10

Great story-telling and even better photography, very impressive indeed. The way that you manage to capture different light levels, depending on whether the picture depicts a scene of action with heavy gun-smoke haze, or as here contrasting with the command group in clear sunlight, is really exemplary.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 14 Jan 2023, 20:50

I subscribe all the above opinions, Chris. Each new chapter of this story makes the interest in it grow more and more. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 15 Jan 2023, 02:40

Masterpiece again. I love finding all the little details hidden away in each photo.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sansovino on 15 Jan 2023, 14:49

Every of your projects is impressive. It´s a pleasure to watch your battles and perfect scenery imagination.
Wow, wow, wow!
sansovino  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Jan 2023, 15:52

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

I utilised another part of the battlefield by the Sherrick farm to illustrate Sumner at the head of Second Corps, without smoke.

The thinking was that having crossed the Antietam river on the top bridge in the autumn sunshine his command is now to be plunged into the maelstrom of the East Wood area.

Just out of interest, I included one professional ‘sniper’ / sharpshooter to Jackson and Longstreets commands respectively. They get one shot per move and Mansfield has so far survived four attempts to get him, unlike his real namesake.

Hooker on the other hand was hit by a confederate shell, and rolled a non saving dice throw. Seeing as he later commanded the Army of the Potomac I decided to have him down as wounded and his horse killed.

The action so far has been remarkably similar to the original, although that might change with an extra eight hundred plus Union troops arriving at Nine O’ clock.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Feb 2023, 17:52

Timeline 9.00AM

The rout of the Union First Brigade of Second Union Division, Twelfth Corps , (Lt. Colonel Hector Tyndall ) has brought an abrupt halt to the Second Brigade’s ( advance ( Colonel Henry. J. Stainrook) seriously disorganising it. This chaos has been added to with the demise of Major General Joseph Mansfield, paying the price of leading from the front, by a Confederate sharpshooter.

(Der Feldmarschall rolled a six, so no chance).

However, Hood’s excellent work has left Colonel W.T. Wofford’s Brigade dangerously exposed by the Miller cornfield boundary. He is now at the mercy of Union artillery as he withdraws.

Major General Edwin Summer’s powerful Second Corps, led by the Second Division, Major John Sedgwick commanding, is now advancing towards the blazing Mumma farm past the Roulette farm complex.

This advance is shielded by sharpshooters from the Massachusetts and Minnesota Sharpshooters acting as skirmishers.

Major General George. B. McClellan, noticing that the sulking General Ambrose Burnside has not initiated his attack on the Confederate right flank has despatched orders for the assault to commence immediately . He is seeking a ‘concert of arms’ with the Second Corps, but it will take time for this despatch rider to get to Burnside from the Pry house.

Meanwhile, General Robert. E. Lee is conferring with Major General Thomas. J.Jackson and Major General James.E.B Stuart by the Dunkard church as to their response to the Union avalanche that is amassing.

Forwards ….To glory!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 14 Feb 2023, 21:38

So good, Chris! I especially like the panoramic scene of the battle - you do those so well! It’s always a treat to find a new instalment of Sharpsburg posted.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bessiere on 15 Feb 2023, 00:31

Like Hancock you are superb sir. Those take on Keith Rocco overtones as compositions. You have captured many individual personalities that made up that day extremely well. Top shelf work Mr D. I'm in awe that you can play and create work of this level at the same time. Exceptional.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 15 Feb 2023, 06:49

I haven't been on Benno's for a while so when I do it's such a treat to see progress with Chris's masterpiece. This is terrific stuff, beautifully composed and realised.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Feb 2023, 11:42

Splendid! I do very much applaud the quality of the photography and picture composition, which must take some time to plan and execute. I also very much like the pictures of command groups, giving an impression very much of senior officers trying to make decisions in the heat of battle....noting also that a roll of 6 on the dice seems to consign them to an early end and a journey to a miniature plastic Valhalla.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 15 Feb 2023, 18:30

Thank you all once again for your lovely comments, it helps keep the motivation going.

With respect to Mr M’s observation, my rules state that only an artillery direct hit or personal sharpshooter ( from a specific sharpshooter figure) can remove Brigadiers and above. Saving throws are used for shell or round shot hits and I dice for the horse or the man first to see who has been hit first if mounted.

For not so elevated souls, officers are removed at a rate of one in every six dead in a firing or melee round, unless hit by the above mentioned shot, shell or sniper.

The Confederates in my refight have one specified sharpshooter for Jackson and Longstreets commands respectively, representing their historical scarcity.

Mr Jackson’s ‘asset’ is embedded with Woffards Brigade, and having been allowed one shot per move has, finally hit Mansfield after five attempts at short range, ( needing a four,five or six).

My lovely wife took the killing throw and seemed very pleased with herself!

I had better watch out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by dykio on 15 Feb 2023, 20:18

Dear Chris,

i always am anxious to have a look at an update for this tread because it is realy brilliant. and i have to confess that i dont comment as often as i should. but now i just have to

I think this is realy one of the best pictures i have ever seen. i think this realy captures all the horrors of this war. the composition, the figures the background....just astonishing and unbelieveble that this is 1/72 scale. incredible.

i take my hat of and make a big bow for you sir :notworthy: :notworthy:

This advance is shielded by sharpshooters from the Massachusetts and Minnesota Sharpshooters acting as skirmishers.

dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 15 Feb 2023, 22:51

Another nice episode! Keep them coming Chris! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 15 Feb 2023, 23:41

Epic stuff again Chris! Some great photos to enjoy there!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Feb 2023, 09:27

Thank you Mr Dykio for your kind comments on that picture.

The scene was based on as Mr Bessiere spotted, a Keith Rocco picture.

The sharpshooter was beautifully painted by my good friend Thomas Mischak and the rest are my conversions as usual.

Many thanks to Richard and Peter too.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by k.b. on 16 Feb 2023, 13:25

Absolutely breathtaking as usual Chris. Like everyone else I love seeing everything you do. Your photography, composition, conversions….. I could go on and on.
But perhaps what I love the most is seeing groups of command figures placed on your landscapes.
Thanks once again for showing.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Mar 2023, 18:26

Timeline 9.15 AM

The Union second Division, Major General John Sedgwick commanding has fully deployed off the route of march and is advancing towards the Dunkard church, past the blazing Mumma farm.

The Third Division, Brigadier General William B. French commanding is following on by the Roulette farm hence covering the second Division’s left flank.

The following, First Division of Second Corps, Major General Israel B. Richardson commanding, contains the Irish Brigade under Brigadier General Thomas F. Meagher.

The Reverend William Corby gives absolution to these troops before they enter the fray.

At the head of fifteen thousand infantrymen, Major General ‘Bull’ Sumner is determined to destroy the battered Army of North Virgina once and for all.

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery