Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by Egbert on 06 Sep 2022, 10:09

Hey Chris,
what you are showing us here is once again great cinema.
and not to be outdone in terms of realism...
The perfection in detail can hardly be surpassed.
You really thought of everything!
I particularly like the corn field with the fences in front of it!
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Sep 2022, 18:36

Add another one to the list of admirers of your work, Chris. I love all in your presentation. It's an amazing job! :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 05 Oct 2022, 08:27

Hello Chris, I reserved this topic for a moment when I can binge watch the next episodes. Everything has been said already: This is really a great show and a lot of work. Btw. It helps me to look at the film from the
American Battlefield Trust "Civil War Animated Maps in Chronological Order" for an overview. Perfect combination for me.

https://youtu.be/_8ybkoGmHww

Continue the epic work!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Oct 2022, 11:54

Thank you once again everyone for your kind comments.

I have Mabo’s link which is very good as it outlines the key elements if the original action.

I have attempted to photograph the whole battlefield in order to give a situational awareness but with the trees etc anything other than an aerial shot is impracticable.

An aerial shot starts to look like a diorama in my garage, which is not the intended aim of the project.

I am currently filming Hood’s intervention against Mansfield’s 12th Corps advance.

The Mumma farm is ready for combustion and Summer is on the way!

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 05 Oct 2022, 12:34

Let them come, Chris!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Oct 2022, 10:53

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg ) 17th September 1862

Timeline 8.00AM

The second Division, Twelfth Corps , Brigadier George S Greene commanding is advancing towards the Smoketown Road.

This Division has many raw recruits with little training resulting in potential command and control difficulties. This has been reflected by a dice loading on movement rolls for Twelfth Corps along with an unformed status at the end of each move.

Brigadier General John B Hood’s veteran Division is deploying in order to take the Union advance in the flank.

Contemporaneously, the First Division, Twelfth Corps Brigadier General Alpheus Williams, again with a high proportion of new recruits, is advancing out of the East Woods in order to outflank the Confederate position by the Mumma farm.

As the battle rages the wounded seek assistance in increasing numbers.

Confederates and Union alike are being tended by the Mary Loacher farmhouse in the West wood.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by santifernandez on 18 Oct 2022, 17:30

I follow your work from the beginning, it's like traveling to the past... congratulations.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 18 Oct 2022, 18:25

Another fine episode of this story! Keep them coming Chris! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2022, 20:39

If anyone disputes the artistic potential of modelling in this scale, your work, Chris, would correct them.
The figures, terrain, composition, lighting - it's all simply marvellous.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Oct 2022, 21:00

I get the same feeling viewing Mr D's work that I do when I see great historical paintings, it really brings them to life for me. Gen. GS Greene will later go on to save the Union's arse on Cemetary Ridge at Gettysburg on the second day of fighting.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by John Simmons on 19 Oct 2022, 16:35

More wonderful work, Chris. I love picking out the various plastic figures we all know so well and seeing how you convert and pose them to create something special and uber-realistic. The terrain and structures are extraordinarily convincing as well, as always. Congratulations on another terrific installment.

John
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Oct 2022, 13:38

I was saving this as my Saturday morning treat. Another terrific instalment, Chris, with some very beautiful shots there. Your trampled wheat fields are fantastically realized.
Your reference to the game mechanics reminds us that this is a game you are playing out, which is always hard to believe and adds another whole layer to the complexity of what you achieve. And still only 8 am!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Nov 2022, 10:34

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) September 17th 1862

Timeline 8.15 AM .

The Confederate reserve artillery commanded by Colonel Stephen Dill Lee has suffered fifty per cent casualties from the Union ‘batteries of position’ and is being withdrawn out of range. Any unit suffering more than fifty per cent casualties can not continue and hence this course of action in order to keep the unit in action.

The raw First Union Brigade, Second Division, Twelfth Corps, Lt, Colonel Hector Tyndale commanding has thrown an excellent movement roll which has allowed it to wheel into position facing the veteran Texans of Col. William Tatum Wofford’s confederate Brigade, which were attempting to out flank them

Unformed, with a raw unit status their volley is poor and their ranks are torn by the Confederate fire. However, this is a big unit and has the benefit of an enthusiastic General Mansfield in attendance. Their morale holds and the firefight continues.

Meanwhile the Union First Division, Twelfth Corps Brigadier General Alpheus S Williams is now advancing up the Smoketown Road with the battered Confederates conducting a fighting withdrawal.

The Union Forever….Advance!

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2022, 20:57

Great the movie goes on! :-D

Lots to see! :P
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bill Slavin on 04 Nov 2022, 00:58

So good. I never get tired of your stuff, Chris. It brings to life what we all imagine on our gaming tables.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by k.b. on 04 Nov 2022, 05:51

Your work never fails to inspire.
One can easily be fooled into thinking that one is looking at photographs of re-enactors refighting the battles of the ACW.
The groundwork, buildings, landscape, smoke, variety of miniatures, the storytelling in each and every photo. WOW!
Pure magic Chris.
Thank you
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 04 Nov 2022, 09:51

More really splendid images. These magnificently composed scenes always remind me of the ACW battle paintings of the great American military artist Don Troiani. Great work!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 04 Nov 2022, 17:15

It's always a joy to see another episode of this story.
Beautiful pictures that are full of action and capture the right atmosphere.
Thank you for sharing and keep 'm coming!
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Nov 2022, 19:51

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

It really helps motivate me to up my game and catch up with Wolfgangs standards.

The action is quite fluid and I have set fire to the Mumma barn with pleasing results and no damage to the garage.

Next up the Mumma house itself.

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Bill Slavin on 05 Nov 2022, 02:19

C M Dodson wrote:
The action is quite fluid and I have set fire to the Mumma barn with pleasing results and no damage to the garage.

Next up the Mumma house itself.

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris

I doubt Mumma was so pleased…. :-D
Bill Slavin  Canada

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery