Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by Rich W on 03 May 2022, 23:09

It's hard to think of new positives to describe your work Chris. Excellent photos. The casualty figures always look so good and natural and enhance each scene. Looking forward to the next instalment!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 04 May 2022, 22:09

Magnificent and monumental...and still only two hours into the battle! Very fine indeed. :yeah:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 08 May 2022, 09:21

This reads like a book and looks like a movie! Fantastic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 May 2022, 20:20

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments which help keep the enthusiasm going.

Bill is right in that the poor chap has indeed lost his head. He was formerly a Hat British light Bob, converted to a Belgian for Quatre Bras and now has ended his days at Antietam .

Many of the casualties as per the ‘ work in progress’ section, are converts from previous Napoleonic actions.

The problem is that there are never enough for an action as large as this.

Mansfield is about to test Jackson’s battered command and the colossus known as Second Corps with another eight hundred figures is on the way .

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by huib on 16 May 2022, 11:32

Wow, it´s all so dramatic and realistic. Really admirable how you manage to catch these war scenes.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Jul 2022, 10:06

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg ) 17th September 1862

Timeline 7.30 AM

The Union First Corps, Major General Joseph Hooker commanding, has been fought to a standstill with massive casualties being sustained.

The battered Confederate left wing has engaged all its units in defeating this assault with the exception of Brigadier General John B Hood’s Division, currently in the West Wood.

However, the Union Twelfth Corps, Major General Joseph Mansfield is now deploying with the First Division, Brigadier Alpheus S Williams commanding advancing through the East Woods.

It’s sister Second Division, Brigadier General George S Greene commanding is making progress towards the Miller cornfield.

Major General George B McClellan has established his HQ at the Philip Pry house. His plan to use successive echelon assaults on the Confederate is proceeding to plan and although he has little faith in its commander, he has issued orders to the Second Corps, Major General Edwin V Summer commanding, to join the fray.

Unfortunately, this Corps is two miles away from the scene of the action and will not arrive before nine AM at the earliest.

Jackson has requested reinforcements and General Lee has authorised the deployment of Mc Laws Division, Major General Lafayette McLaws commanding.

This division is transiting through Sharpsburg towards the West wood, it’s progress invisible to the Union observers due to the topography of Cemetery ridge.

Major General Mansfield has only recently assumed command and many of his troops are newly recruited. However, they are enthusiastic and keen to get to grips with their rebel foes .

The Union forever, forward!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 27 Jul 2022, 11:40

I'm always amazed at how you pull it off.
You feel like you are there.
A big movie theater!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 27 Jul 2022, 19:07

Fantastic! The movie goes on! :thumbup:

Great work again, Chris! And lots to see! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 28 Jul 2022, 00:01

Another brilliant instalment!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 28 Jul 2022, 00:32

Your work is truly inspiring Chris. I've always dreamt of doing this with my minis. The problem is the speed at which i paint. I'd need at least half a dozen incarnations before I'd be able to put these many figures on a table, never mind the research behind the battles, landscaping etc, etc, etc.

All i can say is a huge thanks for your storytelling and magnificent battlefield reproductions. We almost feel like we are there, an eyewitness to living history. (Please note that all of us here have incredibly vivid imaginations, which should by no means detract from my comments).
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 28 Jul 2022, 11:52

Konrad wrote:I'm always amazed at how you pull it off.
You feel like you are there.
A big movie theater!

I totally agree with Konrad's thought. It's delicious to follow the story that you are telling us, accompanied by those wonderful images. Thank you very much, Chris. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 28 Jul 2022, 20:07

Again, some more of your cinematic scenes.
What you post here, very few can make it.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Minuteman on 29 Jul 2022, 16:57

More very fine work! Quite apart from the excellent buildings, scenery and figures, I very much like the composition of these photographs and the sense of perspective along lanes crowded with troops, and units arrayed in ranks on the smoky battlefield.

Very much looking forward to seeing more!!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 30 Jul 2022, 14:04

Another fantastic instalment, Chris, this one full of tension as the next phase of the battle unfolds. I especially liked the poignant scene of the three soldiers with hands on chest around their fallen comrade. Very nice.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Aug 2022, 00:14

Absolutely Magnificent!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by John Simmons on 01 Aug 2022, 14:56

This is more truly wonderful stuff, Chris. I continue to marvel at the perspective you manage to achieve in your photography. I especially love the tableau with the three soldiers mourning their fallen officer. I think you may have made Sharpsburg look a little more rural than the contemporary photographs indicate. But thank you once again for bringing to life these scenes for all of us ACW fans out there.

Best,
John Simmons
John Simmons  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Aug 2022, 19:48

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

It is the enthusiasm of the members which provides the motivation to do better.

John raises an interesting point about the rural status of Sharpsburg in 1862.

The outskirts shown are taken from the photographic evidence of Alexander Gardner and are depictions of the actual buildings on display. Initially. I was a bit intrigued by its shabby nature as the surrounding farms display great wealth.

However, the town, as it extends down the road towards the church of Saint Paul's does indeed have houses of greater status including the fine eminence of the Jacob Grove house, Lee's supposed HQ.

In reality he was camped outside of town by the Shepherdstown road.

I have chosen to only model the Lutheren church area due as it is literally on the edge my table.

Lots to do.

Best wishes,

chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Sep 2022, 15:49

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) September 17th 1862

Timeline 7.45 AM

Overview.

The Union Twelfth Corps Major General Joseph K.F. Mansfield commanding is advancing through the Miller cornfield and East Woods towards the Smoketown Road and Mumma farm.

First Corps Major General Joseph Hooker commanding has exhausted its offensive capacity and has taken up a defensive role stretching from the cornfield towards the Nicodemus Heights.

Confederate artillery are subjecting the Union advance to a withering bombardment. The Union artillery response is muted due to the difficulty in deploying the Twelfth Corps guns as the infantry advance.

Brigadier General John B. Hood’s Confederate division is deploying by the Dunker church with a view to counter attack the flank of the Union advance.

Colonel A.H. Colquitt’s Brigade from Major General Daniel H Hills Division is advancing from the sunken lane area to support Brigadier General Roswell S. Ripley’s North Carolina Brigade by the Mumma farm.

Ripley aware that he is outnumbered decides to order the burning of the Mumma farm in order to deprive the Union troops of cover and also disrupt their advance.

The battered Confederate line along the Smoketown Road braces itself for the next assault with trepidation .

Posted by Bill Slavin on 05 Sep 2022, 02:29

Another terrific bit of visual story-telling, Chris. I especially like the second photo, with that panoramic depth of field that you so masterfully create in your photos. Mind-blowing as always! So much action and it's only 7:45 a.m.!!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Sep 2022, 23:13

Bill Slavin wrote:Another terrific bit of visual story-telling, Chris. I especially like the second photo, with that panoramic depth of field that you so masterfully create in your photos. Mind-blowing as always! So much action and it's only 7:45 a.m.!!

Bill puts it very well, and I entirely agree. The quality of the photography here continues to amaze and delight; the sense of distance in particular is quite striking...and presumably this within the confines of your garage, Chris?

Applause also for the quality of the modelling here. I very much like the first image of the Union 12th Corps infantry advancing through the Miller cornfield, a battered fence and casualties in the foreground. But each of these images has many examples of high quality scenics and figure modelling. Fantastic!

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery