Gallery

Indo Greek Kingdom (Yavana) Cavalry

Posted by Xantippos on 05 Sep 2021, 15:20

This are some soldiers I painted a very long time ago, but only made pictures this last week.

They depict some of the many Indo Greek Kingdoms that appeared after Alexander, properly the Yavana kingdom more likely.

Inspired by Rome II, and as much historical sources as possible. Not much is known about them, Greeks in the area intermixed gradually until losing their language and culture.

I had these spare Macedonian Cavalry with some damage, and I thought it would be cool to paint them and modify them a bit. I added two foot slingers that had around, and made some slight modifications to make them more "Hindi", and with their skin colour, considering there had been intermixing for a good few centuries.

Hope you like them :P .

-

-

-

-

-

To see close ups, click twice on the pictures ;) .
Xantippos  

Posted by Peter on 08 Sep 2021, 21:00

Real nice painted cavalry! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PhilC on 08 Sep 2021, 21:34

Very nice indeed! This mix of Indian and Macedonian cavalry is very interesting, and very well painted.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 09 Sep 2021, 01:27

Ah, I see the Indian influences in the shields in particular, the blue and white pattern stands out to me the most. I can also see you've darkened the skin.

I think you may be either the first or one of the first to portray the Indo greeks in 1/72 scale! I think we share a love of esoteric subject matters!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Xantippos on 12 Sep 2021, 15:14

Many thanks ;) . OwenChpw, I love new subjects :) . For me, although I like the main "actors" in history, after a bit I grow tired of them, and there are so many tribes and kingdoms that were relevant and haven't been depicted in the hobby! the list is so vast I could go on and on. Timurids, White Huns, Kushan, Mughal Empire, just to speak in the related area. Plenty of info for this peoples, for example, exists, and even if yes, you could more or less reuse existing figures to depict them with some conversions, it's not the same, and if you wish to have all of them, you would be ending up having to make huge conversions!

Something I've learnt, is that hardly one can be the first ;) , but I can guess not many people have done, at least in 25mm.
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 13 Sep 2021, 01:44

Xantippos wrote:Many thanks ;) . OwenChpw, I love new subjects :) . For me, although I like the main "actors" in history, after a bit I grow tired of them, and there are so many tribes and kingdoms that were relevant and haven't been depicted in the hobby! the list is so vast I could go on and on. Timurids, White Huns, Kushan, Mughal Empire, just to speak in the related area. Plenty of info for this peoples, for example, exists, and even if yes, you could more or less reuse existing figures to depict them with some conversions, it's not the same, and if you wish to have all of them, you would be ending up having to make huge conversions!

Something I've learnt, is that hardly one can be the first ;) , but I can guess not many people have done, at least in 25mm.

Yeah, I gravitate to more obscure topics as well for some reason. I like the Romans and hoplites of course, but then I hear about Indo Greeks or pre-Samurai Japanese and I just like the mystery. I've always been interested in the Mughals as well. I think India is a very overlooked topic in ancient and medieval 1/72, and I think it's just a natural extension of cultural focal points. Most miniature manufacturers are European and so naturally focus on topics in the Western eye. I've noticed Asian miniature manufactuers (which is a whole other world and very hard to access as an English speaker) tend to focus on Asian subjects for example, with many sculpts of the Ming or Song dynasty. I hope that India gets covered in more detail at some point.

I think some armies will necessitate huge conversions because they will never reach wider audiences. I have a plan for Medieval Burmese and I'm certain I'm going to have to convert every single model lol.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dombom on 13 Sep 2021, 06:38

Beautiful job you have done there ;-)
I like them a lot and that indian greek mix is very interesting.
Where did you get that wonderful "sun shield" from?
Looks really cool.
dombom  Germany

Posted by Xantippos on 08 Oct 2021, 14:58

Owen, certainly. So, do this chinese manufacturers produce in plastic, or are just resin, 3d print, metal, etc? the language and interests present a huge barrier. It is good that Caesar did about 5 sets of ancient Chinese, as without them, we would have very very little of them.

The shield is an authentic Versace button, off an old shirt from my mother :) .
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 09 Oct 2021, 09:31

Xantippos wrote:Owen, certainly. So, do this chinese manufacturers produce in plastic, or are just resin, 3d print, metal, etc? the language and interests present a huge barrier. It is good that Caesar did about 5 sets of ancient Chinese, as without them, we would have very very little of them.

The shield is an authentic Versace button, off an old shirt from my mother :) .

From my experience most Chinese manufacturers are 3d printing now, they've made quite a few good sculpts. I'm trying to acquire them but it's a bit tricky.

Oh that's such a good idea! A button!

Posted by tullo on 11 Oct 2021, 14:19

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :thumbup:
tullo  Germany

Return to Gallery