Gallery

Regimento de Toledo

Posted by Bill Slavin on 21 Aug 2021, 14:07

Here is another unit painted up earlier this summer that I finally got around to photographing. It was great to get back to painting some Spanish, although I probably have quite enough now :eh: . The beauty of the Spanish Napoleonic army is that you will never run out of units to paint, with all their diversity. These guys are in the standard 1805 pattern white line uniform with bicornes, which was still prevalent up until the mid Peninsular War.
The grenadier bearskin banners are my own creation, based on the Toledo civic crest, which I did using my homemade decal process (not painted!!) The figures are all HaT. I have a few more pictures and a brief history of the unit here on my blog if you are interested:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2021/08/regimento-de-toledo.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Aug 2021, 16:50

Wonderful stuff and the work of the bearskin decorations is especially good.

There is always a nice atmosphere with your lighting and pictures.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 21 Aug 2021, 22:05

Looks really good and indeed the bearskin-decoration is the cherry on the cake!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 27 Aug 2021, 17:14

Wonderfull painted unit! :thumbup:

Reminds me that I have some of these figures lying around somewhere. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2021, 21:43

Great looking troops. :thumbup: Bravo! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Rich W on 28 Aug 2021, 10:16

As always Bill, really nice work. They do look very good masses together.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 28 Aug 2021, 13:51

Nice to see a new addition to your Spanish army, Bill. And so well painted and researched as all your units. It's really a pleasure to the sight. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

Great work again. Sometime you could put together all your units of every army (French, British and Spanish) and take photos of the whole. With no doubt all of us would become speechless looking at them. :shock:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Aug 2021, 16:16

I did not realize you had such an ingenious system for creating the elaborate decoration on the back of the grenadier headgear thingie.

Very cool! If anyone ever doubted your passion for the Peninsular Wars project, they can be convinced at last when they see your sheets of tiny shapes, ready to be applied.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 29 Aug 2021, 00:03

Splendid job Bill. These are first HaT Spanish troops I've seen painted up and it almost prompts me to want to do my own but I should probably finish the armies I started on first. For a complete Spanish army I would think a lot of conversions would be necessary. I rarely like White uniforms but you've made these look really great. Cheers, Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 29 Aug 2021, 14:06

Thanks, all, for the kind comments.

Bessiere wrote:For a complete Spanish army I would think a lot of conversions would be necessary.

Thanks, Bessiere. You are right, when doing the Spanish you need to get creative but there are lots of people who have already gone down that path. The HaT figures for the regular army (line infantry, light infantry, grenadiers and command), all sculpted by the same sculptor, I'm sure, are all very good and give you everything you need for line troops with no conversions necessary. Surprisingly, the HaT Guerrillas, although a mixed bag of rougher sculpts with a number of figures that could only serve as guerrillas, give you a large number of top-hatted militia which I have now started to expand upon with use of the HaT Austrian Landwher troops. There are also some figures in kilts and odd shakos that I eventually identified as Valencian Cazadores.
Cavalry is more complicated, but the HaT Prussian dragoons are dead ringers for the Spanish line as are the Prussian gunners. But you will never have figures that represent every corner of the Spanish army during those chaotic times, which of course is part of the appeal.
Another part is mining the rich history of this neglected part of the Peninsular War outside of the British involvement, with a surprisingly large number of batt;es that lend themselves to balanced small scale scenarios.
Have I convinced you? :-D
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 04 Sep 2021, 06:47

Thanks for these informations again. At the moment I prefer to look at your excellent project and keep my eyes on another part of the Napoleonic world, but who knows? Maybe sometimes I will take my Spanish troops out of their HäT boxes. Then I will be happy to know where I can find a detailed guide into units and painting!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe

Return to Gallery