Gallery

Zama 202 BC - Kill the beast

Posted by krugi3 on 22 May 2021, 15:15

Hello!

Another little diorama is finished - this time I can present you the battle of Zama in 202 BC.

Historical Background
In the first years of the second Punic war (218 - 201 BC) the Carthagian army under the command of Hannibal won several battles (Trebbia, Lake Trasimene, Cannae) with a terrible death count for the Romans. Only when they adapted their strategy and learn from their errors the Romans were able to turn the tides of war. After successes in Spain they finally landed in Africa to bring the war to the Carthaginian homeland. Hannibal was recalled from Italy and took command of the army, his Roman opponent was Publius Cornelius Scipio. The armies clashed at Zama in the year 202 BC. The Carthaginian army was superior in numbers, but consisted mainly of raw troops - the Romans war seasoned and highly disciplined troops and were supported by Numidian cavalry (before an essential ally and a major factor in the Carthaginian tactics), Hannibal started the fight with an attack by his war elephants but with little effect and than a terrible close combat between the two armies began. On the flanks both cavalry formations clashed and the Carthaginians were thrown back. The same tactics that Hannibal used at Cannae were now effectively carried out by Sicpio and his cavalry attacked the Carthaginians from the rear. That was the final blow and the remaining Carthaginians fled the field of battle. Scipio received for his victory the agnomen Africanus, Hannibal was on the run and left Carthage - he died between 183 BC and 181 BC (the causes are much debated and range from assassination, suicide with poision to fever after an accident)

The moment depicted is the attack of Hannibal's elephants against the Roman battle lines, the were supported by some light infantry. The Roman light infantry on their turn tried to kill the beasts or to confuse them as much as they would turn in panic. They Romans succeeded in this and the remaining elephants who effectively broke through the light infantry simply run through the gaps of the Roman formations without making much damage.

The diorama
The figures are from Zvezda and especially the elephant derserves a seperate praise - perfect work! I added a little detail in creating a convincing throat (otherwise it looks like an unrealistic hole), some small gaps between the parts have to be covered with putty. The real problem was a quite realistic colouring of the elephant. I tried many different colours and I really can't tell how I finally achieved this effect (black, light grey, dark grey, khaky, medium brown, dark brown - in several layers, partly only drybrushed).

The majority of Hannibal's elephants were young African forrest elephants, much smaller than the Zvezda specimen and most probably without towers. This exemplar is an older Indian elephant (there were a few available) with a tower. The mahout in front of the tower controls the movement of the elephant and the fighting crew tries to shield the flanks of the beast. Additional light infantry also has this job. The main function was the sheer might and weight of the elephant to disrupt the enemy lines, but it isn't possible to steer the animal directly into a wall of soldiers with spears to their front - the elaphant simply stops or even worse he got afraid and turned and crashed blindly through his own soldiers. A scared elephant is hard to stop and the mahout carried a hammer and a chisel blade for this moment - to ram it down through the forehead of the animal as a final solution.

Actual pictures of the Zama region shows this rather redbrown soil as the more often seen desert colours in paintings.

Here can see the final diorama:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86bA7C3oZLI
Pictures: http://tkr172.blogspot.com/

And here a few teasers:

Greetings from Austria
Thomas Krug
krugi3  Austria

Posted by Iceman1964 on 22 May 2021, 17:57

Great job ! The elephant is great and also the soldiers are extremely well painted . Best compliments
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Minuteman on 22 May 2021, 19:31

This all looks quite superb Thomas !! The huge war elephant is clearly the main point of focus in this diorama, and is modelled and painted very well indeed. The human figures almost come as 'extras', but they are also very well painted and deployed. Very inspiring...and a little bit terrifying as well...those javelin-armed infantry must have a lot of courage!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 22 May 2021, 20:35

Very realistic scene.
The elephant looks very lifelike.
The Dio is very dynamic, the painting of the figures is very detailed.
Congratulations on this successful job.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Ben90 on 22 May 2021, 21:35

A great job! The nice photography really brings it all together...
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 May 2021, 23:49

Very cool. The elephant especially looks great. I like the pattern you have painted on the forehead - is that where the chisel goes in?
A wonderful diorama and interesting write up. Thank you.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 23 May 2021, 00:01

Wonderful work! :thumbup: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Pocho Azul on 23 May 2021, 01:12

Great scene, and cool photography too!
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 May 2021, 08:57

Dramatic stuff indeed.

The U tube item is rousing tuff too.

Great work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 May 2021, 08:58

Apologies, that should read stuff.

Senility stalks the morning.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by sberry on 23 May 2021, 10:40

A great contribution once again! (Not of the same monumental scale as Mylae, but we all know that it is not possible to produce a work that large and impressive every other week...)
A composition full of action and the painting style is crisp and clean – a typical Thomas Krug scene, I would say.
I think those Zvezda figures are the best that are available for the Punic Wars era. I really appreciate HäT’s effort to produce a large and complete series on this topic, but in terms of sculpting and poses, the Zvezda range is better.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Peter on 23 May 2021, 15:04

Excellent work again Thomas! :thumbup:

I really like this elephant. It reminds me on the time I painted this elephant myself almost ten years ago! :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8544&p=105188&hilit=zvezda+indian+elephant#p105188
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 23 May 2021, 19:27

Very well balanced diorama with wonderfully painted figures, Thomas. Great work! :love: :love: :love:

My best compliments. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 24 May 2021, 15:47

Hi Thomas, as tanks are my favourite topic, this first "tank" in warfare is very interesting for me. Great work!
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 27 May 2021, 00:58

Fantastic diorama! Very lifelike, love the basing in particular. Thanks for the historical snippets.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Cryns on 18 Jun 2021, 10:48

Very nice work Krugi. It is great to see so much ancient figurines recently here at Benno's.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 05 Aug 2021, 16:03

I agree with others
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery