Gallery

Will's War of Spanish Succession

Posted by Minuteman on 29 Sep 2022, 10:01

More fine work, Will. Another brigade of mounted troops to add to your burgeoning WoSS armies. Well done!

This latest set of British Dragoons works very well, in my view, not only for the WoSS; but also for a couple of decades after as well. It is therefore very suitable, for instance, for anyone modelling or wargaming the 1715 Jacobite Rising.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 29 Sep 2022, 13:27

Minuteman wrote:More fine work, Will. Another brigade of mounted troops to add to your burgeoning WoSS armies. Well done!

This latest set of British Dragoons works very well, in my view, not only for the WoSS; but also for a couple of decades after as well. It is therefore very suitable, for instance, for anyone modelling or wargaming the 1715 Jacobite Rising.

Funnily enough I was having thoughts about using my Strelets Jacobites for the 15. Always useful to be able to cross over armies between periods.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 11 Jan 2023, 16:58

No surprise for my first units of the year, I have created 4 units of Austrian Cuirassiers, all wearing the helmet more commonly worn when fighting the Ottomans. The figures themselves are a mixture of the Strelets Austrian and Bavarians so I could create some consistent charging and resting units for both nationalities.

Left flank - regiments Taffe (front) and Commercy (rear)

Right flank - regiments Jung Hesse Darmstadt (front) Zanthe (rear)

Posted by Minuteman on 11 Jan 2023, 17:09

That's a good-looking mass of Austrian cuirassiers, and certainly an inspiring sight as a cavalry wing (or part of) arrayed on the wargaming table. Fine work!

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Jan 2023, 20:31

These look good individually & in mass. Clever use of existing sets to get the uniform poses per regiment you want. A proper wargames' formation.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 11 Jan 2023, 21:43

Ochoin wrote:These look good individually & in mass. Clever use of existing sets to get the uniform poses per regiment you want. A proper wargames' formation.

donald

The only slight mismatch if anyone notices is the musket being carried either butt up or down.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 12 Jan 2023, 00:02

Very nice Will! Good use of both sets here. These are in my pile to do, but for some reason I'm lacking the enthusiasm to start on them. What's next on your to do list for the WSS range?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 12 Jan 2023, 07:42

Rich W wrote:Very nice Will! Good use of both sets here. These are in my pile to do, but for some reason I'm lacking the enthusiasm to start on them. What's next on your to do list for the WSS range?

No surprise, the Bavarian Cuirassiers, all four units

Posted by Minuteman on 12 Jan 2023, 12:39

Rich W wrote:Very nice Will! Good use of both sets here. These are in my pile to do, but for some reason I'm lacking the enthusiasm to start on them. What's next on your to do list for the WSS range?

Ho hum, me too Rich. :( A combination of the cold snap a couple of weeks ago (turning the garden studio into an ice box), January 'blues' and some health issues has slowed my productivity a lot. But I'm sure we will both get our enthusiasm back...although I very much doubt that we would ever match Will's prodigious productivity.

Decision time for me so far as WoSS is concerned is: Do I paint some one off Austrian cuirassiers (not in my original Orbat, but now the Austrians have arrived they are if that makes sense); or try to finish the Maison du Roi cavalry; or embark on 7 battalions of British infantry??

Posted by Rich W on 15 Jan 2023, 02:38

Mark, I think hold off finishing the Maison du Roi, as that would appear to be Strelets next release (based on the fact they've shared some artwork for it). And 7 battalions of the infantry sounds a daunting task!!!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 15 Jan 2023, 08:27

Rich W wrote:Mark, I think hold off finishing the Maison du Roi, as that would appear to be Strelets next release (based on the fact they've shared some artwork for it). And 7 battalions of the infantry sounds a daunting task!!!

I thought it was the French Musketeers of the Guard in the next release that only contained 2 companies in their distinctive tabard?

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Jan 2023, 10:55

Fire at Will wrote:
I thought it was the French Musketeers of the Guard in the next release that only contained 2 companies in their distinctive tabard?

Yes, that's correct and it is clearly possible to build the Maison du Roi cavalry (for tabletop/wargaming purposes) almost in its entirety without the Musketeers, who formed a fairly small part of it...although they do add a little extra panache and colour to an already colourful guard corps of Louis XIV's army.

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Jan 2023, 10:58

Rich W wrote:Mark, I think hold off finishing the Maison du Roi, as that would appear to be Strelets next release (based on the fact they've shared some artwork for it). And 7 battalions of the infantry sounds a daunting task!!!

Well, it has to be done sooner or later...and while sorting the units yesterday I realised that I had enough figures to create a Hessian brigade as well :-D That makes more than 10 battalions....

Posted by sansovino on 15 Jan 2023, 14:46

I envy really you with your great WSS-army: wonderful painted, selected and created. Please more of it! It´s purely impressive....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 Feb 2023, 17:56

Another batch of cuirassiers for the War of Spanish Succession completed, Bavarians this time. The mix of figures are the same as the Austrians, using the figures from both Strelets cuirassier sets. I only extra is a commander, and I've also painted his Austrian counterpart (at the rear). With four units I could represent all of the Bavarian cuirassier regiments.

Regiment Arco at the front and Weikel behind

Regiment Costa at the front and Wolframsdorf behind

That completes my WSS project until Strelets manages to make any more new sets.

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Feb 2023, 22:53

Very nice! Completes your collection for now? Reeeeeeally? I’m doubting it… :-D
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 08 Feb 2023, 23:39

Great work again. In the time it's taken you to paint all those Bavarians I haven't finished my one box of my British dragoons I started (what feels like) ages ago...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Feb 2023, 11:15

More fine work Will. There is no doubt that these cuirassiers look very good en masse, and the Elector of Bavaria would be proud to lead these four regiments into battle!

Let us hope that Strelets are able to continue to release new sets, in the face of adversity. Hopefully the French Musketeers to complete the Maison du Roi cavalry, and the Dutch cuirassiers.

Posted by Peter on 15 Feb 2023, 22:37

Nice work again Will! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 21 Feb 2023, 11:31

Please make a picture of the whole range!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous page

Return to Gallery