Gallery

War of Spanish Succession armies

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Nov 2021, 23:40

Fire at Will wrote:A small thought, in the Osprey Ramillies book it mentions Marlborough escaping from the French cavalry despite a fallen horse because he preferred to wear gaiters rather than high riding boots. Strelets need to prove a figure like that in one of their future sets.

Yes, that's a good point. In James Falkner's book on Ramillies the author goes even further and suggests that Marlborough had to make a run for it and sought cover in a nearby Swiss (mercenary, in Dutch pay) infantry 'square', coming close to being taken by pursuing French cavalry.

A 'Marlborough' figure in one of the future Strelets sets would be very good. An interim modelling solution may be to use the lower half of one of the forthcoming French Dragoon set figures and graft on a suitable upper half to serve as Marlborough; or use most of a dragoon officer and head swop. In the case of my Marlborough I simply used one of the British cavalry officers, repositioned the head and did an arm swap, and then painted the gaiters on ie:

Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 05 Nov 2021, 09:17

A very nice result ..... more of it or other modellings!
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Patrick71 on 12 Nov 2021, 16:10

What a great lot of painted cavalry units.
Impressive work and impressive painting.
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Minuteman on 12 Nov 2021, 20:09

Patrick71 wrote:What a great lot of painted cavalry units.
Impressive work and impressive painting.

Thank you Patrick, much appreciated.

I tend to paint in brigade-sized batches, which means two or more 'wargames style' regiment-sized units at any one time: the nominal scale I use for WoSS is 1:20, but this may flex a little. I have never been one for hard-and-fast rules on how many figures should form a regiment/battalion/squadron etc.

With this approach it is inevitably a case of painting a fairly large batch of cavalry, then a batch of infantry, then more cavalry, then maybe artillery and so on. The 'brigade' which is nearing completion is 5 battalions of Dutch infantry...they may get posted here in the next few weeks, but then again Strelets may surprise with several new WoSS cavalry sets before end-December and this may then create a 'diversion' on the painting table. And there are also four battalions of almost-complete French infantry that are clamouring to be photographed and have their 'moment of glory' too! We will see.

But all very positive, and a great range of figures to collect and paint.

Posted by Minuteman on 13 Jun 2022, 21:58

A combination of 'other projects' and various other duties has meant that it has been longer than I anticipated since I provided an update on progress with my War of Spanish Succession armies. Nevertheless, I have managed to keep going - slowly - and the result is some Dutch infantry, shown in the following pictures (with more to come soon I hope).

The Dutch were key combatants in the WoSS against France and her allies, and Dutch troops fought with considerable valour throughout the conflict, gaining a fine reputation and fame. This military reputation was, of course, based on a long period prior to 1700 during which the Dutch had fought to protect their homelands, backed by the resources of a large and prosperous commercial empire.

A number of important military innovations were introduced by the Dutch, one of which was 'platoon firing', adopted latterly by the British and Prussians (at least) in time for the War against France in the early eighteenth century. Platoon firing enabled linear formations to sustain a rolling sequence of musket fire which, while it may not have been any more accurate than the fire by ranks practised by the French, Spanish and their allies, appears to have had a considerably greater morale effect.

Starting off then...a firing line made up of the regiments of Salisch (red flag) and Slangenburg (blue flag)

Under the formal linear tactics of the day, initial dispositions of armies for battle would typically be made up of two, sometimes three, lines; so here is the 'second line' of this particular Dutch battle formation, made up of the regiment of Nassau Friesland (blue coats) and van Pallandt (grey with yellow facings)

Brigade Colonel Werdmuller encourages his regiments forward

In common with their British allies, the Dutch tended to attach light artillery to their infantry to further support their firepower

Whilst these infantry support guns were light enough to manhandle once in the front line, a horse was used to pull the gun up to this point....with a civilian drover more often than not; this man (and his trusty horse) has 'done his bit' and is now off to a place of relative safety....

There are more Dutch to come, but for the time being I should add that the figures here are largely Zvezda, purchased many years ago and before the excellent Strelets range of WoSS figures became available. My British and Danes are Strelets figures, and to differentiate them - and to use up some of my 'stash' - I used the Zvezda GNW sets for native Dutch regiments. They are fine figures, but lack the variety of poses and character of the Strelets figures.

The flags of regiments Slangenburg and Nassau Friesland are by Maverick Models, who produce a large range of WoSS flags in 1/72. The Salisch and van Pallandt flags are my own, hand-drawn/painted and then reduced down on a printer.

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Jun 2022, 10:44

Excellent pictures, painting and reporting.

You have brought these troops to life.

There is something about this period of military evolution that is most interesting.

Best wishes ,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 14 Jun 2022, 13:16

A really fine addition to your WOSS figures! I especially liked the base with the gun being rolled forward by hand. And thank you for the background as well - a fascinating and well-informed glimpse into the armies of this period.
Oh yes, and great special effects on the firing muskets!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Michael Robert on 14 Jun 2022, 16:27

Lots of good stuff, Minuteman, lots of good stuff,
Zvesda and Strelets finally do match quite well for this period (if it were only in real life... :( )
I have also mixed the artillery sections.
Good painting, basing and the slight conversions like flagbearers I like, too.
Absolutely, the Dutch were a very important contingent in the WSS, and most of the figures work for several nations. You show that quite nicely as well.
Thanks for posting and keep up the effort
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 14 Jun 2022, 22:19

Great painting Minuteman!! What an outstanding collection!!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 14 Jun 2022, 23:05

Many thanks for these kind comments, which are very much appreciated. The collection is growing slowly, and I'll post pictures of more units once they emerge from the painting table.

Posted by Bessiere on 15 Jun 2022, 04:12

You have developed a bold and unique style of painting Minuteman, they look fantastic. I'm a fan of that cannon being pushed. Looks like the small one from the Zvezda Peters Artillery.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 15 Jun 2022, 17:26

This looks great...You have painted many figures and they are great painted...
Emperor  

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Jun 2022, 23:12

Bessiere wrote:. I'm a fan of that cannon being pushed. Looks like the small one from the Zvezda Peters Artillery.

Thank you Bessiere, and Yes, you are correct. The Zvezda GNW Artillery of Peter the Great set includes 3 of these guns, lovely little models although a tad fiddly to put together.

It is difficult to be precise about the design of light guns used for infantry support at this time, but knowing that similar 'galloper' guns had been used in the later C17th, it seems reasonable to suppose that this sort of gun carriage would have been used by British and Dutch infantry in the WoSS. I have come across one source which indicates that they were. And besides, with several of the Zvezda GNW artillery sets to put to good use, I have plenty of these guns!

Posted by Konrad on 16 Jun 2022, 08:39

I see a lot of really nicely painted figs here.
A colorful and clean army they've got there, mister. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Rich W on 17 Jun 2022, 11:15

Excellent stuff Mark! These all look superb. There are so many clever little conversions which give them their unique look. Where did you get the fusilier/grenadier caps from? I've got boxes of the Zvezda GNW infantry waiting in my pile, maybe in another 10 years they will be next...

What's next in your painting queue to show us?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Jun 2022, 17:47

Rich W wrote:Excellent stuff Mark! These all look superb. There are so many clever little conversions which give them their unique look. Where did you get the fusilier/grenadier caps from? I've got boxes of the Zvezda GNW infantry waiting in my pile, maybe in another 10 years they will be next...

What's next in your painting queue to show us?

Thank you Rich, much appreciated.

The two Zvezda GNW infantry sets (Russian and Swedish) are good as far as they go, but the poses are somewhat limited. A bit of minor conversion is required to create variety in units built of these sets therefore. So in the case of these pictures this involved some head repositioning, a few bare heads, some swapping of top halves with bottom halves, and some converting of Swedes (with coat turn-backs) to Dutch (without turn-backs). No too taxing, and worth it to give the units a more realistic look.

The Dutch grenadier caps are in fact spare fusilier caps from the HaT SYW Prussian infantry sets. These seem to me to work reasonably well as 'generic' grenadier caps for some of those WoSS armies that did not give their grenadiers either bearskins (eg: Bavarians), or 'dragoon caps' (French).

As for the painting queue and what is next: More Dutch infantry, some more French infantry, artillery for both...and a slightly converted Airfix Waterloo farmhouse! Then...the British infantry, unless Strelets manage to get their long awaited remaining French Maison du Roi cavalry out...maybe this summer?

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Patrick71 on 18 Jun 2022, 13:20

Handsome and large armies that you exhibit here and your commentary is very interesting because I don't know much about this period myself. I am always impressed by large numbers of beautifully painted figures.
thanks for sharing.
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Santi Pérez on 18 Jun 2022, 18:55

Outstanding work, Minuteman. Amazing figures and great report. Well done! :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 06 Aug 2022, 00:02

Any more WSS updates for us Mark?! I need my regular progress reports on your WSS armies!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 06 Aug 2022, 02:25

An outstanding display.

Having decided I cover sufficient Horse & Musket periods, your WSS project is a sore temptation.

Can I also comment on the quality of the photos?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery