Gallery

War of Spanish Succession armies

Posted by Minuteman on 21 May 2021, 19:57

Thank you Rich ! War of Spanish Succession figures are the only thing on the painting table right now, so I am trying to maintain a focus on these and to complete a few more units before I become distracted (inevitably)....

The Strelets Royal Horse Grenadiers is a good set, and the only figure I felt I could not use was the chap firing his pistol off to the side. Quite why Strelets included this pose in a set with entirely moving horses I don't know; a pose looking forward with pistol held upright would be as easy to mould and would be more useful. The horses in my Horse Grenadiers box were OK quality-wise, but I have had some other boxes with the generic WoSS horses where there has been some plastic spalling and also a few horses where the mould has been incomplete. I find that a hot modelling knife and a little gentle welding solves the spalling problem, and some filler (eg: Miliput) solves the incomplete moulding issue, but I don't think that Strelets themselves know quite why this is afflicting just a few of the WoSS horses. It's a relatively minor problem though.

The blue I used for their coats is Tamiya Flat Blue (XF-8). I like this colour, despite the problems with Tamiya acrylics, notably that they dry too fast and tend to be quite dark. However, this XF-8 blue seems to me to be about right as a French blue. For the tones, a little added black for shaded areas and a little pale blue for the highlights.

One or two of the sabres are on the short side, and the sabre of the Grenadier in the centre of the photo below is a replacement blade made of flattened wire and fitted into a drilled hole in the hilt/hand. glued in with a dab of 5 minute epoxy.

As for the scarlett-coated Gendarmes and Chevauxlegers, these are a Vallejo Flat red base with Scarlett highlights, and lots of gold lace. All very bright.

But these three units only constituted three (admittedly large) squadrons of the French cavalry force. There remains a need for line cavalry and line dragoons, and Strelets will at least (hopefully) be providing the latter, and also the remaining Maison du Roi cavalry, in their forthcoming summer releases.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 May 2021, 19:58

Massed Formations, win the day every time with me.
:thumbup: Well done they are all a pleasing splendid sight. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 22 May 2021, 20:53

Very much appreciated!

As with almost all small-scale figures, creating a mass effect works very well with these Strelets WoSS figures. The formations are linear, but deep enough to get that effect of 'mass'. And the uniforms are, in their own way, just as colourful and impressive as their Napoleonic successors 100 years later...

Plenty of painting being done right now, and still to do.

Posted by MABO on 28 May 2021, 18:20

Good looking cavalry!
MABO  Europe

Posted by dombom on 17 Jun 2021, 08:09

Very nice painting job ;-)
I like them a lot. Keep doing like this.
dombom  Germany

Posted by Emperor on 17 Jun 2021, 18:12

Great work...I was absent from forum couple of days and I see everybody was busy with project and there are some great stuff to be seen...Again great pictures with so many great figures...
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 18 Jun 2021, 10:35

What a cavalry charge! Fantastic job
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Nov 2021, 15:12

It has been a slow summer in terms of completed units marching off the painting table, but I have managed to complete a number of further units for my War of Spanish Succession armies, and others which are 'almost complete'.

I have been working on some of Marlborough's cavalry, using the excellent Strelets British Cavalry set. This set has figures suitable for an all-out charge, and other figures and horses for a more restrained 'in advance' mode. But, for now, here are some units in 'charge mode', led by British General of Horse Sir Henry Lumley at the head of his own regiment (yellow facings), Woods Regiment of Horse (Green) and Hay's 'Grey' Dragoons (Blue):

The question is....where are these men in red coats charging? Or more specifically, who are they charging?

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Nov 2021, 19:45

What a wonderful sight!!!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Nov 2021, 21:01

PaulRPetri wrote:What a wonderful sight!!!!

I just think the same, Minuteman. You have achieved an amazing fantastically painted unit. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Nov 2021, 21:05

Sir Henry Lumley has launched his first line of British cavalry at a deadly foe, a man in command of some of the finest cavalry in Europe, a man known as much for his big hats as his big ego...none other than Max Emmanuel, Elector of Bavaria ('The Blue King') who now leads a brigade of his horsemen in a counter charger against the English Horse and Scottish Dragoons:

Amongst the Bavarian horse are the regiment of 'Prinz Phillip' Karabinere, and the dragoon regiment 'Grenadiers a Cheval'

With the Kuirassiers of the regiment 'Costa' providing a formidable and menacing foe for the British horse...

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Nov 2021, 22:20

Boy Strelets figures have sure come a long way and your painting puts their figures in the best possible light!!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Nov 2021, 08:37

There is a real ‘presence’ with your lovely units that really evokes the period.

Fantastic work .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Nov 2021, 09:16

Not only Strelets figures have come a long way, but Strelets horses! Great to see this mass of cavalry!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Nov 2021, 20:03

Many thanks Paul, Santi, Chris and Susofrick.

Strelets have, indeed, come a long way in the last few years. I have some of their old Great Northern War cavalry and artillery sets and I am wondering whether I am able to use these alongside the excellent War of Spanish Succession sets they are now producing. I suspect that the style and sculpting is so different that I will not, and the old Strelets figures will be consigned to the 'spares box'.

I should have added to the pictures I have just posted, that the Bavarian cavalry have been a bit of a labour of love. They are based on the two excellent sets of Zvezda GNW cavalry, which suffer only from the horses: the Swedish set has horses which are charging way too fast, and the Russian set has horses that are in need of some good summer-time fodder (they are too thin!).

The Costa cuirassiers are a project I started in early 2021 and which have been 'on the table' for more months than I originally planned. They are Zvezda Swedish cavalry, mounted on a mix of Italeri Prussian cuirassier (1806) horses, which are big and suitably imposing: (I added Miliput Fine pistol holsters) and some of the Swedish GNW dragoon mounts. Heads are Tumbling Dice ECW 'lobster pots' from their very useful ECW 'cavalry heads' accessories pack.

Inevitably, as I was a couple of months into the Costa cuirassiers 'project', Strelets announced (unexpectedly) that they would be producing what looks to be a superb set of Austrian Cuirassiers in body armour and helmet. It was one of those 'Doh!!!'; moments. But the Strelets set, when it is released, will be fantastic and I'll be creating some units of Austrian/Imperialist cuirassiers based on these.

The Bavarian Horse Grenadiers are simply Italeri GNW Russian Dragoons with hat swaps - I used HaT Saxon 1806 grenadier headgear, and simply painted these with an overall very-dark brown with a red 'busby bag' to look something like a bearskin. It may not be exactly right, but the look is what I am after and these Horse Grenadiers look suitably imposing I think.

Zvezda figures will (probably) provide the bulk of the Dutch cavalry, and some French cavalry units...but these are still very much in the pipeline.

Posted by Konrad on 02 Nov 2021, 20:35

I am really impressed with the size and quality of your army.
Quite a great job.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2021, 22:48

Konrad wrote:I am really impressed with the size and quality of your army.
Quite a great job.

I can only agree with these words! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 03 Nov 2021, 00:31

Brilliant stuff Mark, thanks for sharing. These are great conversions on display. Your WSS armies are coming together very nicely (and quickly!), I am jealous! The Bavarian units look especially good, seems you've got the colours for the jackets spot on in my opinion.

I'll look forward to your next additions, just don't leave it so long between posts next time!!!

Fingers crossed Strelets manage to get a small release before Christmas (like they managed last year).
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Nov 2021, 20:44

Rich W wrote:
I'll look forward to your next additions, just don't leave it so long between posts next time!!!

Fingers crossed Strelets manage to get a small release before Christmas (like they managed last year).

Thank you Rich, I will try not to. Dutch infantry up next, I hope.

Like you, I (and the Duke himself) will be watching out for any movements so far as pre-Christmas Strelets WoSS releases are concerned!

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Nov 2021, 21:42

A small thought, in the Osprey Ramillies book it mentions Marlborough escaping from the French cavalry despite a fallen horse because he preferred to wear gaiters rather than high riding boots. Strelets need to prove a figure like that in one of their future sets.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery