Gallery

Austrian Curassiers regiment von Buol - Lace Wars

Posted by Michael Robert on 06 Apr 2021, 20:44

Here a quick contribution as a reply to sansovino's post.
In French we say "chiche"

These are not painted to any good standard - just to have my regiment of curassiers.
Actually, I find that the quality of the figures does a lot to motivate good painting. So I admire even more those who produce nicely painted minis from poor models.

Von Buol's regiment - mainly active on the Balkans.
Here we go

:oops:
I will post better painted minis of new Streletz later. Promised
Many greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Apr 2021, 20:55

Nice painting Michael! You either love the older Strelets sets or you don't. For some reason I like the older ones and yours look wonderful!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 07 Apr 2021, 07:18

You take the ring and painted the outdated set from Strelets. So congrats to the result. I think this could make up a cool unit when arranged for wargaming or a vignette.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 07 Apr 2021, 12:45

Great paintjob done on these figures Michael! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sansovino on 07 Apr 2021, 15:32

A very interesting attack! Thanks a lot for ypur post. Your cuirassiers fit indeed very well to the Balkan Wars. I had totally forgot which figures had been sculpted in the past from Strelets - quite different to the new WSS-sets. I like it!
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Apr 2021, 14:37

Hello,
thank you for encouraging me. Much appreciated. :yeah: Clearly another age of Streletz figures, but still a lot of fun. Streletz nostalgia on horses
Now, we wait for new "real" and updated WSS curassiers to ride onto the scene. Usually, that happens just after having painfully converted your own. Probably another reason why I didn't go down the road of sansovino. :mrgreen:
Again, all your comments and likes make me happy. I definitely should publish more (anther imagebox just abandoned - I have now the 4th image host)

Many greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Apr 2021, 15:23

What is the 4th image host?
Is that something to do with those Photoimage Pirates?
Whatever the case might be,
i'll move forwards now at the proverbial Trot!
Upon your choice of painting those classic Strelets figures, Bravo!
They look fit for muster, and ready to rumble! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 10 Apr 2021, 19:22

They could use some mild wash but they're very good already.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Apr 2021, 04:03

I am having trouble finding good sources of info on the WSS uniforms and equipment. How did you know what color to paint these rough-and-ready but perfectly usable table top riders?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Michael Robert on 11 Apr 2021, 13:06

Dear Bluefalchion,
there were already some discussions on how to find information on WSS uniforms, a Blenheim battle site and Kronoskaf were mentioned. I for my part use the following resources:
First, I look at contemporary paintings. Then I use the Funcken books for the 17th century. They do not really cover the Lace wars. However, they give typical colours and patterns which I kind of extrapolate to the earlier period by looking at the evolution of fashion. Finally, I also use German uniform drawings of which I post some here.
What is good about the Lace wars is that you can actually interprete a lot yourself. For instance, colours were not refined. "White" is just bleached cloth - no comparison with titanium dioxide white of modern times. Blue is just about anything wih the tinge because earlier blues bleached so rapidly. Reds - a bit better but much less bright. Only officers, rich nobles, and guards had access to bright colours. That means to me that I choose colours variants to my taste. You just need to know the "regiments colour" and what was coloured, sleeves, inside frocks, chaussettes, that's it. A bit more about lace colour and the flag and you have everything. All the rest is interpretation. Any button counter has no chance to challenge me seriously :mrgreen:

Here the pictures from German source 19th century

Happily painting along
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Return to Gallery