Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by Rich W on 29 Apr 2021, 23:25

Some much needed reinforcements for the Guards regiment. They will begin their advance on the village soon...

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 30 Apr 2021, 07:06

Excellent painting Rich !! The red coats and the blue facings look just the right shades here, and the detailing you have achieved on the lace and the grenadier caps is very well done indeed. I also particularly like the drummer (super face) and the use of the mounted officer from the British cavalry set as an aristocratic mounted Guards officer.

The photos showing the rear view of some of these men is good too: The Strelets British infantry figures are carrying quite a bit of kit, which requires quite a lot of straps to carry it, and painting all this in 1/72 scale is a fit fiddly. But you have achieved all this really well.

However will the defenders of the village resist such a well turned-out unit??
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 30 Apr 2021, 16:31

The progress you made in 13 months of painting is fantastic! Just had a look at your first post in this topic and this one. The difference is like day and night! Go on Rich, one day you win the painting competition! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 30 Apr 2021, 16:51

I suggest you forward these pictures over to Strelets-R so they can display them on their website.

They are that good. Not good for Rich W standard, good for anyone's standard.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Santi Pérez on 30 Apr 2021, 23:21

Another batch of fantastically painted figures, Rich W. Very well done. :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Chariobaude on 01 May 2021, 14:16

wondefull painting, i like your style : it makes the minis almost alive!
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 02 May 2021, 06:48

The Guards regiment is the best paintjob I have seen from you until now. So I would like to underline, what Peter has already said! Keep astonishing us, please!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 04 May 2021, 23:06

Thank you all for such lovely comments.

The Foot Guards begin their advance on Blenheim. Their opposition will be the Strelets dismounted dragoons (when they eventually get released). Next up, firing lines for North's regiment.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 05 May 2021, 08:10

They look fantastic on that base! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 05 May 2021, 10:55

These British Guards look quite magnificent Rich. Well done indeed!

Everything about this diorama (for want of a word) looks 'right'. The infantry are in four distinct ranks, the Strelets poses have been thoughtfully used to create the ranks, the 'command' figures - especially the Ensigns and the drummers - are great, the mounted officer is leading from the rear (well, it's safer when mounted), the casualties add to the feeling that the unit is closing with the enemy, and the basing is very good. The standard of painting is extremely good all 'round.

All very fine and, indeed, inspiring. You, like me, are waiting for the arrival of boxes of those new French Dragoons...

Posted by Bluefalchion on 05 May 2021, 16:08

Rich W--

I am not surprised that you got this good at creating painted armies of this high a standard, because you were asking all the right questions when you joined us.

What I am surprised about is how very quickly you reached this level. It is really great to see.

Posted by Minuteman on 05 May 2021, 19:26

Bluefalchion wrote:Rich W--

I am not surprised that you got this good at creating painted armies of this high a standard, because you were asking all the right questions when you joined us.

What I am surprised about is how very quickly you reached this level. It is really great to see.

But then, a true talent knows no bounds...it is simply very good to see this quality of painting.

Posted by MABO on 05 May 2021, 21:24

Very good with the bases!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 17 May 2021, 22:43

Thank you all again. I hope you like the next batch, which are the start of a firing line of North's regiment outside of the village.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 May 2021, 22:59

Fantastic painting Rich. Just wonderful!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 18 May 2021, 09:58

Some more very good paintwork on these infantry. Well done Rich! The colours again look 'right' to me, the muted light yellow works particularly well on the facings and the really excellent drummer's coat.

This looks to be shaping up to present an English infantry firing line in the authentic three locked ranks which is calculated to strike fear in to the heart of any Frenchman (or Spanish Walloon, or Bavarian for that matter!) facing it. Most inspiring!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 18 May 2021, 13:32

Love it! These guys look great, Rich. I like your handling of the faces and shading with your under painting (washes, too, I expect) - really effective, and very controlled brush work, even up close.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 May 2021, 13:56

I don't love the left side of the faces on the kneeling and firing figures--it looks like there is some excess plastic running from the base of the nose down to the chin, making him look like a Pirates of the Caribean fish-man character. Very difficult to remove excess plastic in that spot without mangling the figure.

But I do love everything else. The officer, NCO, and drummer really stand out. You have done a marvelous job on the uniform and equipment details--buttons, buckles, straps, cuffs, sheaths, rifles, and the like.

Will you tell me how you did the faces? Apart from the one mentioned, they are a strong suit for this batch.

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 May 2021, 14:11

Very nice indeed.

These Stretlets figures are very well sculpted and the possibilities,with I believe, another eleven sets will be tremendous.

Great painting and visuals.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 10 Jul 2021, 14:06

Thanks for all your kind comments again.

Here are more of North's regiment in firing line. As the British fired in platoons at this time (although sources also say that platoon fire was ditched in fire fights due to it's complexity) I've now got 3 platoons in different stages of the process. A few reinforcements are under the brush now to bolster these units a little more. I hope you like them.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery