Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by Rich W on 04 Jun 2023, 01:56

Thanks all for your encouragement!

Peter-Mark kindly made the barricade for me, I just painted it and added it to the base. He would be best placed to tell you how it was made. But I can tell you that there are lots of lovely little details on there and I'm delighted with how it all turned out!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 04 Jun 2023, 19:55

It's a pleasant novelty to see this unit in diorama form, as opposed to all the previous ones, deployed in formation. What doesn't change is its superb paint quality. Great work, Rich! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Jun 2023, 14:18

Rich W wrote:Thanks all for your encouragement!

Peter-Mark kindly made the barricade for me, I just painted it and added it to the base. He would be best placed to tell you how it was made. But I can tell you that there are lots of lovely little details on there and I'm delighted with how it all turned out!

I offered to create a scratch-built barricade for Rich, as he had already asked on this Forum if there were any commercially-available ones for his French Blenheim-period infantry to defend. As I was already creating some barricades for my own WSS collection, it was easy to add another one to the set that I have been creating.

I am attaching some pictures of the barricade that I created for Rich. Basically, I took the view that a town/village like Blenheim would provide its defenders with wagons, sacks of grain or corn (effectively, sandbags), lots of timber and logs, bits and pieces of furniture, barrels etc. So I took these items and miniaturised them with the help - in this case - of a slightly converted Austrian (Napoleonic) ammunition wagon from the HaT set; timber planks etc from lolly sticks; barrels from Italeri and Renedra; and Miliput sacks, plus a few other scratch-built bits and pieces. These were assembled on an art-card base with a profiled plaster (quick drying filler) contoured surface. The various items were stuck into place, then given an all-over PVA brush (helps to strengthen the whole thing) and then a grey undercoat. Rich then applied his splendid artwork and added the figures, for the image of French infantry that he has recently posted.

When I have time I'll post more images and information on scenery, barricades and so forth that I am creating for the early eighteenth century (WoSS) period.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 06 Jun 2023, 17:11

Thank you Rich and Mark for this information about the barricades! I like those WIP pictures. :thumbup:

And I'm looking forward to more of this kind of pictures, of how you create them! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 16 Jun 2023, 23:56

Next up...A squadron of Austrian cuirassiers, specifically from the Alt-Hanover regiment. I do feel the horses are too small for these figures when I compare them to my other units, but nevermind!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 17 Jun 2023, 11:34

Another great job.
And always a whole unit.
All in the same very high quality.
I particularly like your horses this time.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Jun 2023, 20:02

Super painting on these impressive armoured horsemen Rich. Well done!

I like the detailing on the saddle cloths and pistol holsters, and you have painted the armour very well. The imperial flag is excellent. The kettle drummer is also notably impressive.

I have to admit that I yet to get my set(s) of these off their sprues and on to their horses. But I see what you mean about the horses not being quite big enough. I fear that this is because of some 'scale creep' with the riders themselves, which PSR measure at around 25.5mm. As such they are a fair bit bigger than the British cavalry, who were the first to be mounted on these Strelets horses, I may have a look at various other horses eg: the Revell SYW Austrian Dragoon mounts and see what they look like.

Posted by dykio on 20 Jun 2023, 19:48

wauw Rich,
this is realy inspiring and i think this last batch is realy one of your best. Super job :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 Jun 2023, 18:54

Those cuirassiers are different from your usual British and French mounted units, Rich. What's not different is the fantastic paint job you've done on the figures. :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by atalante on 26 Jun 2023, 18:42

I really like this type of painting, bright and contrasting colors, congratulations. I may have worked more on the highlights of the horses.
atalante  France

Posted by Rich W on 01 Jul 2023, 11:10

Thanks for all your generous feedback again.

Mark-yes definitely worth a look at different horses for these chaps when you get around to it. I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming my Bavarian and 'German State' cuirassiers will have the same issues.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 08 Jul 2023, 07:02

Another "Wow" unit, Rich. I am cought by the black-lining job you did. Very cool. I hope for more pics of other units here and I am sure they will come.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Rich W on 01 Aug 2023, 23:18

I've finally got around to basing some of my dismounted dragoons defending the barricades of Blenheim (or more precisely, the barriers between the village and the river. These troops are part of the Mestre de Camp General squadrons and were painted quite some time ago now. Thanks to Mark's previous barricade I was able to get some inspiration (e.g. I copied) from his in order to make my own version!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 02 Aug 2023, 08:45

It looks fantastic Rich! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Konrad on 02 Aug 2023, 09:07

What more can i say?
A very nice scene.
Very nicely done.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Aug 2023, 10:02

This looks very good indeed, Rich. Well done !

You have done a marvellous job in creating the barricade, which looks very realistic. I like the detail you have added of a stack of timber and some bales behind the firing line, presumably to allow the defenders to fill in gaps caused by cannon fire etc.

The Mestre de Camp Dragoons themselves look very good, with some fine and detailed painting on display here. I know that you observed in a post some time ago that all the French Dragoon regiments defending Blenheim Village wore red uniforms...but when red looks as good as this, what can be wrong?

Keep up the good work! :yeah:

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Aug 2023, 11:00

Excellent work indeed.

The painting is lovely and I feel that your units have a real look of the period.

Personally I like my troops to be dirtied up to reflect the rigours of field life but each to their own as they say.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

It’s a labour of love.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 Aug 2023, 19:17

Peter wrote:It looks fantastic Rich! :thumbup:

I join Peter's opinion, very well condensed in so few words. Another great job, Rich. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 05 Nov 2023, 01:26

After a break from my WSS armies, I had another dip back into the era. Here is the Bavarian regiment of d'Arco Kuirassiers. I believe they would have worn tricornes rather than these helmets, but what can you do...(apart from do head swaps which I couldn't be bothered to do!). Hope you enjoy them.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 05 Nov 2023, 07:47

They look very nice. SInce I am not in details concerning the appearance of the horsemen of this period. I am not irritated by the helmets. Cool to see, you are still working on this projekt.
MABO  Europe

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery