Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 16 Apr 2023, 15:51

Again a very nice addition to your armies, Rich.
Can't wait to see them all together on a battlefield.
I really need to look for a good book on this part of the history. I know who Louis XIV was, but barely know anything of this era. :oops:
Any suggestions are welcome.

thank you for sharing.
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Apr 2023, 16:08

PatrickJ71 wrote:I really need to look for a good book on this part of the history. I know who Louis XIV was, but barely know anything of this era. :oops:
Any suggestions are welcome.

thank you for sharing.
Patrick

There are a couple of good books on the major battles of the period in the Osprey range - the books on Ramillies 1706 and Malplaquet 1709 are worth buying (the Blenheim book is a bit older and less good).

A classic work on the period which tells you a great deal about the way that warfare was conducted in Western Europe in the early 18th century is 'The Art of War in the Age of Marlborough' by the late David Chandler. For example via https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Warfare-Ag ... 0946771421

I'd certainly recommend this book as a way to 'read into' the period.

James Falkner has written a number of books on the Duke of Marlborough's campaigns in the War of Spanish Succession, any of which are worth reading. A good overview is in his book 'Great and Glorious Days..' Eg via https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Glorious ... C72&sr=1-6
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 16 Apr 2023, 23:29

Thanks to everyone for your really kind feedback! At some point I will take a photo of all the units together...

Patrick, Mark's (Minuteman) suggestions are very good. For an overview of why/how it all started and good background info to what was happening in Europe in the build up to 1704, as well as an ok account of Blenheim, I really enjoyed 'Blenheim-Battle for Europe' by Charles Spencer. It's a good introduction to things without going into too much detail.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 19 Apr 2023, 21:48

Thanks for the tips on the books !
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Rich W on 01 May 2023, 23:40

Next up are some British dragoons. These are Hays dragoons (later the Scots dragoons). I've read conflicting information as to whether they exclusively rode grey horses, but I've gone for artistic license here as I thought they would stand out from all the other red coated cavalry units. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 02 May 2023, 09:09

A fine-looking British (Scottish) Dragoon unit to add to your growing collection of WSS regiments, Rich. Once again you have done a very fine paint job on these figures; the grey horses are particularly pleasing, and I am with you in believing that Grey's dragoons - as forerunners of the Scots Greys - really were mounted on grey horses even at this early stage in their history.

I like this Strelets set very much, and as with some of the other WSS sets in their range, the sculpting of the command group is particularly good. You have done a fine job in painting these, including a very convincing guidon and bearer, and drummer. The officer with telescope takes a bit of positioning to ensure that he not surveying the ground before him rather than the distant view of the enemy, but all in all a very good set and nicely painted here. Well done!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 02 May 2023, 10:05

Wonderfull painted cavalry Rich! Keep them coming! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 May 2023, 20:01

No better or worse than your previous units, Rich, just the same as them, i.e. perfect. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by k.b. on 02 May 2023, 21:43

A beautifully assembled and painted regiment of Scots Dragoons Rich. Well done. Know little of the period or correct horse colours but am certainly not adverse to artistic license where necessary. The red uniform on grey steed is indeed a beautiful combination. The long grass is splendid as is the photography. Congratulations
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 03 May 2023, 13:50

Some more very nice painting, Rich. Such controlled brushwork, highly effective shading. As Santi says, exactly what we would expect to see from you!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 04 May 2023, 23:12

Thanks Mark, Peter, Santi, KB and Bill for all your kind words again.

Mark-yes this is a great set to paint. If only Strelets could have made a French line cavalry unit similar to these then that really would have been perfect.

I've got a unit of Austrian Cuirassiers painted and just waiting to be based, my two units of dismounted dragoons waiting to be based, and I'm half way through another regt of French infantry, who will be manning some barricades very kindly made for me by Mark. But I'm not sure what's next for my painting queue... I haven't painted either of the French mounted dragoon sets-but neither look that appealing and also mean, if I'm trying to stick to Blenheim units, it will be even more red coated cavalry (and I'm a bit bored of red coats now). I've got a box of Bavarian cuirassiers unopened, but again, I'm not very enthused by these at the moment. Hopefully some inspiration will come my way soon!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 06 May 2023, 07:10

Super great riders again. I like all the detail you designed with your brush. I am looking forward to the infantry behind the barricades.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 06 May 2023, 18:40

Rich W wrote:Thanks Mark, Peter, Santi, KB and Bill for all your kind words again.

Mark-yes this is a great set to paint. If only Strelets could have made a French line cavalry unit similar to these then that really would have been perfect.

I've got a unit of Austrian Cuirassiers painted and just waiting to be based, my two units of dismounted dragoons waiting to be based, and I'm half way through another regt of French infantry, who will be manning some barricades very kindly made for me by Mark. But I'm not sure what's next for my painting queue... I haven't painted either of the French mounted dragoon sets-but neither look that appealing and also mean, if I'm trying to stick to Blenheim units, it will be even more red coated cavalry (and I'm a bit bored of red coats now). I've got a box of Bavarian cuirassiers unopened, but again, I'm not very enthused by these at the moment. Hopefully some inspiration will come my way soon!

Rich - yes, absolutely so far as the 'missing' French Line cavalry set(s) which should have been a part of this great WSS range some time ago, IMHO. I wonder now with the sad death of Anton whether Strelets will be able to add such a set or sets to the range? Having said that, with some work the 'Late War French Dragoons' can serve as a French Line cavalry regiment 'in reserve'...as indeed I think you showed us a while ago. I am also wondering whether the forthcoming Dutch Cuirassier set might provide a basis for a more aggressive French cavalry unit, with a little trimming of cuirasses and a suitable paint job? May be time to experiment with this when I get my hands on a set or two?? :-D

Wishing you inspiration with the various units you have in your paint queue! And after all, if the WSS inspiration is not there, there are always other periods to dabble in. For my own part I might be 'doing' some late-medievals in the next few weeks as an antidote to red-coated, tricorne-wearing British infantry !! ;-)

Posted by chen on 31 May 2023, 14:10

It is so delightful to follow this thread, watching the progress of such a splendid looking army getting ready to make war. :thumbup:
chen  China

Posted by Rich W on 31 May 2023, 23:59

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Next up...The French regiment of De Lassay defending the village of Blenheim. A huge thanks to Mark (Minuteman) for sending me this excellent barricade!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Jun 2023, 05:22

Very nice indeed.

Good to see your troops in action.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Jun 2023, 08:40

Great work Rich. You have done a very fine job in depicting men of the de Lassay Regiment, defending their barricade at Blenheim. I very much like the mix of poses, and you have done a very good job indeed in hand-painting the geometric design of the regimental colour; not easy with all those small triangles! The officers and musician - in his distinctive crimson coat - are also outstanding.

Another fine addition to your impressive and growing range of units which took part in the battle of Blenheim.

PS: And the barricade has painted up well too! Good to see this 'in action' so to speak.

Posted by Iceman1964 on 02 Jun 2023, 18:13

Great painting and great details !
Best compliments Rich !!!
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Konrad on 02 Jun 2023, 18:23

And again I am deeply impressed by the quality of your work.
Every fig is on the same level as everyone else.
Great!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 02 Jun 2023, 22:07

You're getting better and better! These are so good painted! Love them And that barricade to! :love: :thumbup:

Can we have some information about the barricade? Is it scratchbuild or something that you can buy in one piece? :eh: Is there a picture of it unpainted?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery