Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by Fire at Will on 05 Nov 2021, 08:26

Thanks for posting, great work. This is probably one of the units I'll be painting when I get around to it. I am waiting till we get the mounted version so I can paint both at the same time for consistency.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 05 Nov 2021, 09:06

Again wonderful painted soldiers. It seems that your honeymoon hasn´t you distracted to expand your troops.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 05 Nov 2021, 09:12

Hi Rich, first of all congratulations and all the best from Bavaria for you and your wife......marrying means halving one's rights and doubling one's duties...... ;-)

Very impressive and great painted figures. Do you use contrast colors by Warhammer for the uniforms? The War of Spanish Succession is also a very interesting topic for me, as some of the fights took place in my area. You and Strelets did a great job!
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Nov 2021, 10:34

A superb paint job on these Mestre de Camp General dragoons, well done Rich!

I'd say that this is one of the best WoSS sets that Strelets have so far released, and with plenty of detail in the sculpts they are satisfying to paint. Red does seem to have been such a predominant colour for French dragoons of this period, for some reason.

These will look very good amongst the buildings and barricades of Blenheim village.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 09 Nov 2021, 00:44

T. Dürrschmidt wrote:
Very impressive and great painted figures. Do you use contrast colors by Warhammer for the uniforms? The War of Spanish Succession is also a very interesting topic for me, as some of the fights took place in my area. You and Strelets did a great job!

I've never used any contrast paints, do they make it easier?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 10 Nov 2021, 21:53

Rich W wrote:
I've never used any contrast paints, do they make it easier?

Hi Rich,

well....yes and...no. I purchased some of the new Warhammer Contrast paints weeks ago.....first of all they are very expenisve....over 6 Euro per bottle...and the idea is not so new...these are just a kind of high pigmented inks.....but if you paint them over a beige or light grey base the effect is really good.....with some kind of shading in just one step....if you use dark basing for your figures, this wouldn´t work at all....and i find it quite difficult to control....if you overload your brush, the end result turns a bit spotty....so in my eyes it´s a mixed result.

There are lots of youtube testing videos for this "new" painting technique.
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Patrick71 on 12 Nov 2021, 15:53

Nice painting style and I specially like the faces which makes these figures come alive.
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by MABO on 18 Nov 2021, 23:20

I am really late, cause I was away due to a lot of different things at the moment. I also would like to impress my congratulations to your marriage. I am married 25 years next summer. Crazy world.

And on the other hand I would again point out, that you have become a great painter in a short time. I really like your figures. The Dragoons most of all!

Keep up love and painting!
Stay safe!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 21 Nov 2021, 12:37

Thank you Thomas, Patrick and Mabo. Marriage hasn't slowed down the painting too much, but the inevitable child in the future will probably put an end to my hobby for a long time!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Nov 2021, 15:16

Rich W wrote:Thank you Thomas, Patrick and Mabo. Marriage hasn't slowed down the painting too much, but the inevitable child in the future will probably put an end to my hobby for a long time!

Good to hear this Rich ! Putting things into perspective, fatherhood and being a parent has to come before the hobby...and in my experience it will do. But taking a long view also, there are many other compensations, and 'the hobby' is always there to return to when you have a spare hour or two. It's 'the best of both worlds' in many ways.

Posted by Bill Slavin on 21 Nov 2021, 15:20

I have just been catching up on all of the postings you have made in this thread, marvelling once more at the volume and quality of painting you have managed on these figures. I especially admire your brush control on details like the lace and buttons, or cap badges, which holds up so well in the close ups. But beyond that, just your palette and painting style works so well for me. I'm a big fan!!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Nov 2021, 17:59

Rich W wrote:Thank you Thomas, Patrick and Mabo. Marriage hasn't slowed down the painting too much, but the inevitable child in the future will probably put an end to my hobby for a long time!

As I have shared with the group here many times, I have two rambunctious sons living with me. They are currently aged 7 and 4. But they do go to sleep eventually. Then there could be a blessed hour or two of daddy alone time with the brushes.

It’s not enough time to create huge dios like some of the professional modelers on this forum do, but it is quite nice nonetheless.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 22 Nov 2021, 09:26

Bluefalchion wrote:As I have shared with the group here many times, I have two rambunctious sons living with me. They are currently aged 7 and 4. But they do go to sleep eventually. Then there could be a blessed hour or two of daddy alone time with the brushes.

It’s not enough time to create huge dios like some of the professional modelers on this forum do, but it is quite nice nonetheless.

I can attest to that! two children too, 9 and 6, "full of life", this greatly reduces the hours available as the size of the projects, but we can always steal a few hours for our hobby ... My solution: infect my son with the virus (and it's off to a good start ...) :-D
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Nov 2021, 19:26

Chariobaude wrote:
As long as the virus in question is the love of painting miniatures and not some other virus, I have no objection to make.

I can attest to that! two children too, 9 and 6, "full of life", this greatly reduces the hours available as the size of the projects, but we can always steal a few hours for our hobby ... My solution: infect my son with the virus (and it's off to a good start ...) :-D

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Nov 2021, 02:44

Well all I can say is one day I had young kids rushing around and the next moment I had boy girl twins 28 years old and my youngest "Caboose" son is 25. Where does the time go...
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Nov 2021, 03:09

Sorry for the thread hijack. Your War of Spanish Succession figures are extremely fun to look at. Your combination of subtle shading in combination with small details that just pop really works well.

I also am very impressed with the way you have done the faces. Just the right balance of detail and shading. Very convincing, even though I have some of these, and the faces don’t always look the best at the moment you pull them out of the box.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 06 Dec 2021, 01:44

Thanks everyone for your kind words again. You're right, hopefully I'll still manage to sneak in the odd hour of painting when a child does turn up one day!

I've painted some more French dragoons-this time the Vasse Regiment, again defending the village of Blenheim. Really enjoyable figures to paint and in my opinion the second best of their WSS range so far. I've just started some French artillery, but progress is slow!

Thanks for looking!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 06 Dec 2021, 13:52

Ah, nice! Santa's dragoons! :merrychristmas:

Great work Rich! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Dec 2021, 16:15

More fine work on these French dragoons, Rich!! And as Peter observes, that red, green and white colour scheme is indeed very seasonal. :yeah: :-D

I am lagging well behind on my WoSS figure painting, and will have to devote some quality time to these quality sculpts. Your productivity is putting me to shame!

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Dec 2021, 20:43

Another fantastically painted unit added to your WoSS armies, Rich. Great work! :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery