Gallery

Spanish Civil War

Posted by despertaferro on 27 Feb 2022, 22:51

JueHue wrote:A very good 88 build.Which figures did you use for the 2cm flak? I especially like the naked torsos.
Jürgen

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1783
despertaferro  

Posted by Howlin on 27 Feb 2022, 23:33

excellent work! what amazes me is the first post has 14 likes and 48k views! maybe people are so stunned from all the pics they forget to.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 28 Feb 2022, 19:20

Just catching up on your latest offerings, Joan. More terrific additions to your SCW project. Like others, I love the mixture of figures you use, really giving a good feel for the hodge podge ranks, especially among the anarchists. And you make some very mediocre sculpts look fantastic.
It was interesting (horrifying?) to read about your experiences as a young man in fascist Spain. We are currently watching the Portuguese series Gloria, set in the fascist Portugal of the 60’s (my wife grew up in Salazar’s Portugal) and it is difficult to square that with the modern democracies that exist in both countries today. The series does touch on the complex relationship between the west and the Iberian fascist governments visa vi the communists.
Out of curiosity, what is the significance of the milestones (I think that’s what they are) on some of your bases? Just a basing thing or something more?
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Patrick71 on 01 Mar 2022, 20:29

I must admit that my knowledge of the Spanish Civil war is negligible. I just know it happened.
It is thus intersting to read some of the background in your postings and the story about your personal experiences makes me silent and humble.
It explains maybe the grim atmosphere that's captured in your painting style and that makes it so good!
I love the composition of each vignet in which every figure seems to come alive.
thank you sharing.
Patrick
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by koshkimishki on 02 Mar 2022, 15:30

I enjoyed looking at these artillery pieces, mortar, tractor and crews, but I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the Basques of the Indira battallion!!
koshkimishki  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 02 Mar 2022, 21:25

Wonderfull addition to your troops Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by despertaferro on 03 Mar 2022, 12:47

Hi,
thank you very much for your kind words.

Bill,
I would not call Spanish democracy modern, not even full democracy. The transition between dictatorship and democracy was not made like the Portuguese, consequence of a Revolution and erasing all traces of the authoritarian past, but as a result of a tacit pact where it became clear that Franco's elites would not be subjected to any scrutiny or never pay for the crimes they committed. It was a weakness on the part of democratic forces but also a sign of how Spain is a country, like Turkey or Russia, where democracy is an accident that happens from time to time but where it has not deep enough roots to protect it from authoritarian adventures. The result of such a shamefull pact was that there is still a king and a royal family of a dynasty reintroduced by Franco and where the main Francoist families retain all the power and capacity for influence within the ruling hierarchy, mainly among the great fortunes, the administration of justice and the bureaucracy.
I struggled with this during my youth, and, at my 61, I'm still there on the civil fight.

Yes, they are Milestones. It is not very clear on the pictures, but viewed from the top, the basing shows a road's edge, like if the gun was placed along it.

Koshkimishki, the Basque Indara battalion is already on the top of page 2...
despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 17 Mar 2022, 20:51

despertaferro wrote:...Image...

Nice to see a non Vatican "mojón", Joan, hahaha. Another wonderful work, as all of yours. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by k.b. on 26 Mar 2022, 09:19

The sheer magnitude of this project is utterly astounding. The research, selection of appropriate figures for each unit, conversions etc.. All carefully deliberated over well before a paintbrush and tin of humbrol paint are put to such glorious use. Congratulations on this monumental labour of love.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Jul 2022, 18:16

Hi there...

A long time without posting or even visiting this site. Working hard latelly...
I can't see any chance of paintint a thing in the near future, but I'm going to use the little free time I got now to satisfy a old request made by Peter and Kekso.
:-D

I hope you're all ok.

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 22 Jul 2022, 19:26

Wow, it's a stunning mass of figures and vehicles, a real pleasure to the eyes. And I know it represents a lot of work and time invested. My very best congratulations, Joan. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 22 Jul 2022, 22:15

Seeing this huge collection of 1/72 Spanish Civil War models and figures all on one table top is quite awe-inspiring. A remarkable achievement taking great skill and patience over many hundreds of hours; well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Jul 2022, 13:45

:-D Ha, it's great to see an an entire painted army on display! It reminds us all of the colossal amount of time and energy that goes into these creations, something I think most people outside of the hobby can rarely appreciate. And your Spanish Civil War figures are the cream of the crop - sweet to see! :yeah: :yeah:
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Kekso on 23 Jul 2022, 15:51

Nice to see you back Joan. Unfortunetly, I'll have to wait few days to see these pictures on bigger screen.

Thanks for sharing your time to take pictures!
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 23 Jul 2022, 17:47

Bill Slavin wrote::-D Ha, it's great to see an an entire painted army on display!...

You can take note, Bill. Because we all know you have several fantastic armies from the Peninsular War and it would be a wonderful sight to see them all together. :tongue:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 24 Jul 2022, 18:14

Thank you Joan! Those pictures are fantastic! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 25 Jul 2022, 08:47

Really incredible. After all the details of the different units these pictures of the massed painted figures and vehicles are stunning and pointed out what you created already. Congratulations.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous page

Return to Gallery