Game Reports

Last battle

Posted by blacksmith on 28 Dec 2022, 18:12

This is it, the end of the campaign, the final battle in which Eilif and his king Einar fight an all or nothing battle for survival against the Orcs.

For this battle Eilif has brought everything he could muster from his lands plus three units of Elves, one Mountain Giant and a wizard. The Orcs have also brought all his forces plus four units of big Orcs, three Trolls and two wizards.

I deployed first and then I rolled for the Orcs deployment. I got Penetrate Center, so the Orcs deployed in a very similar way to me, with the shock troops in the centre and cavalry in the wings.

Bottom left, the Elves and one cavalry unit, centre king Einar with his bodyguard (huscarles), the wizard and the Giant, on the right a unit of archers and Eilif' Rangers backed by another unit of cavalry, and finally four more units of Fyrd. In front of them the Orcs deployed as commented and with a unit of skirmishers up front.
Turn 1. Humans 2 - Orcs 6. Orcs don't activate. Humans advance and fire to the Goblin skirmishers. They cannot resist two units of Elves with long bows, one of Rangers and another of archers plus the wizard, and they are all eliminated.
Turn 2. Humans 2 - Orcs 5. Orcs activate first and move forward, then humans charge and the battle is joined.
The Elf archers make one unit of Orc cavalry flee the battlefield and kill a few Orcs on foot. In the centre, king Einar charges one Troll and suffers many casualties, the Giant goes for the Troll in the middle but the combat is inconclusive, the third Troll results wounded but most of the fyrd unit goes down in the process; The Trolls resisted quite well the melee because they had a spell of protection that the Wizard casted on them. Eilif and the archers don't charge but shoot and kill many Orcs. The right flank advances forward unchallenged.

Same moment from a different perspective. At the bottom you can see the Orc cavalry fleeing from the battle.
Turn 3. Humans 6 - Orcs 3. Humans don't activate and the rest of the Orcs charge and the humans received them in Shieldwall. The evil sorcerer casts a unit of undead!
The Orc general is slained by the archers in melee as his units suffered many casualties during the charge!
A general of view of the massacre.
The Orcs are already doomed and in the following turn they are finished. Einar charges and kills the wizard, making the undead unit to disappear, the Giant kills the last Troll, the elves wipe out all the Orcs on the left flank, and the two units of cavalry finish the weakened units of Orcs.
A feast for the crows and new lands to colonise for the Einar and his people!
Happy Christmas!
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by MABO on 28 Dec 2022, 23:04

Amazing battlereport, thanks for sharing. :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 29 Dec 2022, 00:44

Your Dark Alliance figures look as superb as always! Thanks for sharing!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 29 Dec 2022, 02:39

That was an excellent battle report Javier! Just wondering did you use a two hour wargame rule set for your game. It also looked by the placement of your lichen that you gridded your game board. Did you use that as a movement system? I just love different wargame rules and approaches.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by blacksmith on 29 Dec 2022, 10:48

PaulRPetri wrote:That was an excellent battle report Javier! Just wondering did you use a two hour wargame rule set for your game. It also looked by the placement of your lichen that you gridded your game board. Did you use that as a movement system? I just love different wargame rules and approaches.

Yes, I used Great Hall Burning from Two Hour Wargames (I think now is being sold by Rebel Minis), but GHB is meant for historic Dark Age in Britain and all the fantasy part is home made.
Yes, the movement in GHB is by squares and I used the lichen to grid the table.
Cheers Paul,
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by PaulRPetri on 29 Dec 2022, 15:09

Thanks for the information Javier your game looked fantastic! I have a horde of those figures painted and stored in my dungeon I need to figure out a game to get them on the wargame table. I have experimented with the Two Hour game system in the past maybe I will give this game a try.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by blacksmith on 29 Dec 2022, 20:47

PaulRPetri wrote:Thanks for the information Javier your game looked fantastic! I have a horde of those figures painted and stored in my dungeon I need to figure out a game to get them on the wargame table. I have experimented with the Two Hour game system in the past maybe I will give this game a try.

If you have any doubts with the ruleset you can ask me anytime.
Cheers,
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 30 Dec 2022, 13:02

An impressive LoTR-genre battle, all very inspiring.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 09 Jan 2023, 20:15

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Game Reports