Game Reports

Shako I SYW version Triology complete

Posted by PaulRPetri on 30 Jan 2022, 16:08

So my three practice games using my version of Shako I for the SYW are complete. I am getting ready to run some large games at the Seven Years War Association convention, (March 31 April 1,2) and my gaming pals helped me out seeing if the rules work. They do as long as I am not on your side!!

So I used a scenario that was in the SYWA Journal sometime in the late 1980's. I have run it before but the disaster that over took the Prussians had not happened before. So here we go with our pictures of battle.

My wife has a great sense of humor.

Trying to tie this together with my wargaming play date.

So the situation was that the Austrian army deployed first and covered a large portion of the table. The Prussian have to take 2 of the 4 terrain features on the Austrian side of the table, two hills, one town, and one stone enclosure.

The first shot shows the Austrian left flank holding a hill. I would attempt to attack this position with zero success. You will notice we did not use the wall of cardboard to screen deployment. Instead the Austrians had the deploy their whole army first then the Prussians having seen this set up deploy theirs.

Austrian center.

The end of the Austrian infantry line on the right of the line. The string line represents the Prussian deployment zone.

The massed Austrian cavalry on the right flank. This turned out to be the complete battle winner. The Prussian cramped position did'nt allow them to match this. In previous games the Austrian cavalry was positioned on both flanks. The Austrian cavalry commander has the Magic Eightball in his hand. Will victory be mine? Magic Eightball YES!!!

The Prussians deploy in mass on the left. Traffic control problems.

My forces advance on the right. We look a bit out numbered. Artillery range stick in lower part of picture.

The Prussian center advances boldly!! The yellow pipe cleaner represents a hit. The Austrian artillery on the hill is blasting away at us.

Another view of the Prussian center advancing. On the top right of the picture an Austrian grenadier uni has received a few hits. Huzzah!

On the Prussian left the disaster begins to unfold. This picture shows a break through by the Austrian heavy cavalry. They have already wiped one Prussian cavalry unit and the begin to bear down on the rest.

The cavalry break through attacks. Notice the pile of yellow hits and orange blown markers!!

Since the Prussian left flank was in danger this halted our main infantry thrust on the left of the line as they had to attempt to turn and face the danger.

This turn of events basically doomed our attack and secured the victory for the Austrians. Our attack in center is met with determined resistance.

My attack on the Right is in danger of being flanked.

My units on the left are in the process of being swiftly eliminated! The pain!

The attack in the center for the Prussians is about to collapse. Keen eyed observes will notice the Austrian grenadiers on the right facing to the flank. They performed a battleline roll up manuaver on me finish off my command. Poop.

The Austrians have gone over to the attack. Another roll up happening on the right of the screen.

This shot shows the Austrian cavalry bearing down on us the Prussians. We lost all of the combats and all of our cavary was put to flight. :oops:

The sad aftermath of the cavary defeat!

I couldnt bring myself to take any more pictures as the entire Prussian army was put to flight.

I would like to thank my gaming buddies for coming out two Saturday's in a row to help me play test the game. I am very happy with the rules even if I was on the losing side both times. The importance of having a solid line of battle is brought forth in the rules and can spell defeat for your army. Which it did for the Prussians in this game. A fun time was had which is the object of the whole thing!!

Thanks for having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 01 Feb 2022, 13:45

Nice battle report and pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 01 Feb 2022, 13:58

Great game...I see painting of battle of Luthene when Fredricks grenadier try to storm Austrian church...
Emperor  

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Feb 2022, 14:06

Well done, Paul.

This looks like a SYW battle. That, alone, shows the rules must worthwhile.

I am pleased to see the Prussians losing ; not out of any antipathy but as they're usually the side to beat, it shows your game presents an equitable challenge to both sides.

I also like your scenario organisation. We sometimes use something similar.
- there are 5 marked objectives (A, B, C etc). hills, villages, crossroads, river crossings etc. These are mostly in the mid-line but sometimes there is one in each deployment zone. Both sides blindly pick 3 letters from a hat. There are two of each letter. Neither side reveals what have become his 3 objectives.

Thus, some objectives won't contribute to victory, some will have only one side needing them & some may be desired by both sides. At the end of X game turns, both sides reveal which were their objectives & the side holding the greater number of their objectives wins.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Feb 2022, 14:29

Hello Emperor. Yes that is the picture of Frederick's lads storming Leuthen church. I have had the very good fortune of visiting the church and the battlefield twice, once in 1994 and then in 2017.

Thanks for the kind comments Peter.

Donald we had some lively debate on the cavalry break through rules in this game. There was talk of giving the winning cavalry more bonuses on the second attack as they felt the second unit was not at a disadvantage. Which it is not. References to Black Powder were used as that is a set that is known to the group. This conversation was brought about when a cavalry unit broke through and in the break through close combat they were beaten allowing the second unit that was attacked, a cavalry unit, a break through attack of its own. My one victory of the day by the way! Unfortunatly comparing rules is like comparing apples to oranges. Anyway no change is coming.

Posted by MABO on 05 Feb 2022, 23:10

Very interesting. Clash of impressive painted armies!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PhilC on 06 Feb 2022, 14:54

PaulRPetri wrote:I am very happy with the rules even if I was on the losing side both times.

That's the fate of all game designers. When I was a child, I played the battle of Stalingrad (Atlantic tanks and figures) with a friend, he always beat me, even when I added some more home-on-a-minute rule to have a chance to win :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Feb 2022, 14:20

I am glad I am not alone PhilC. My main pleasures is researching the armies, painting them and working on interesting scenarios. When it comes to game day just having some fun rolling dice and being with kindred spirits. Winning and losing doesn't play into it for me. Thank goodness or I would have given up the hobby long ago!

Return to Game Reports