Game Reports

Reichenberg with Shako SYW version

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Jan 2022, 17:04

I am very happy to report that five of us were able to gather yesterday, January 22 for a full blown trial of my SYW version of the Shako rules. I decided to do my version of the Battle of Reichenberg which pitted the Duke of Bevern commanding the Prussians against FM Koneggsegg commanding the Austrians. One big change I made to the historical deployment was the removal of 5 Austrian battalions that lined the woods on the Prussian right flank and stood by and did nothing during the course of the battle. I replaced these with 3 battalions of Croats who were hidden and I added the 5 musketeer battalions to the Austrian main battle line. I was a little worried prior to the game that the Austrians would be in too strong a position with fortified works but I needn't have been. Since I was one of the commanders on the Austrian side victory was assurred for the Prussians...

I forgot to take a shot of the cardboard wall of secrecy but here is the Prussians as turn one starts. I had warned them that the woods were in enemy hands so they massed there deployment to the left of their position. This turned out to be a real battle winner strategy!

A view from behind the Austrian lines center.

A few shots showing the relative positions of both sideds before hostilities begin.

My fellow Austrian commander showing no concern about the Prussian masses forming in front of him!

My Brave cavalry on our left flank preparing for action!

Artillery fire has started, notice red 'pips' on several Prussian units, and the Prussian cavalry moving snartly off to the right to confront me.

The Prussian columns advance in stoic order.

During all of the hubbub of the game and learning new rules I forgot to take a few action shots of the Prussian host deploying into line formations and moving into the attack.

The tension was building as the distance closed and the decision of the battle was about to be resolved.

The cavalry lines up for a mass charge.

The decision is near! Hey that looks like a Prussian arm on the Austrian side of the table! What the heck!

The cavalrys final alignment prior to the charge!!

I quickly snuck behind the Prussians lines for a shot from their perspective. It was a horrifying experience!!

This looks quite scary for the Austrians. I better get back to my side of the table.

I thought for a fleeting moment that I had a chance in this cavalry duel. I was sadly mistaken...

The sad wreckage of the Austrian forces... and my liquid solice...

The Prussian victors!!!

The following shots show the aftermath of the Prussians storming our positions and flooding into our lines. Horrifying images so beware!

The grenadiers attempt to hold on!!

My Austrian forces holding the left of our line came under token attack which I was able to repel successfully. Shocking!

However the center was gone and the Prussians began rolling up the line.

So that was it we called the game the Prussians were clear winners. The game was completed in under 3 hours which is what we are aiming for.

On a side note my birthday is next week but I declared it early. Guess which one is me.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 23 Jan 2022, 17:13

Although I don't play this is nice report, thanks.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Jan 2022, 18:10

Wow what a fun setup. It is beautiful to see all the nicely painted units displayed. Sorry your Austrians did not have better dice.

As for the birthday boy, my guess is the striking gentleman of mature years seated at the head of the table and wearing a spectacular, and historically accurate, crown.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Jan 2022, 20:15

Bluefalchion you are the winner!!!!

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Jan 2022, 21:00

Spectacular!

I love a well-written battle report with photos. I think you've captured the lure of wargaming very well.

Personally, I mostly prefer playing defensively (much like the Austrians) but a strong offensive is hard to stop (much like Fred.'s Prussians). At a cost, though.

We've decided that for any battles set in 1760 & later, the Prussians lose their tactical flexibility (move & change formation in a turn etc) & become 'mere mortals' like their Austrian, French & Russian opponents.
This is to reflect the great losses of the Prussian veteran troops in the years prior.

Oh & happy birthday!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Jan 2022, 22:38

Thank you Donald.
I agree 100% that the Prussians should be down graded later in the war. Unfortunatly for me this is there first effort in the 1757 campaign and they are in peak form. The steamroller continues forward...

Paul

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Jan 2022, 07:05

I would like to know where your field guns are from.

Across my three armies, I have a dreadful mish-mash of whatever I could find. It is a pity that the excellent Revell SYW Austrian artillery set only comes with light pieces (which I use as battalion guns).

Your heavy guns have the authority they should have.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 26 Jan 2022, 00:35

Looks excellent again Paul. Great looking figures and all on the table together it looks like a good game. I feel sorry for your friend who has the bowl of salad whilst everyone else tucks in to their pizzas...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 26 Jan 2022, 01:37

Thanks Rich for your kind comments. The Salad Man gets an award for coming out to play he had his gallbladder out a few weeks back and is still on the mend. Besides he was on the Prussian side and plowed through our line like a hot knife through butter!

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Jan 2022, 10:44

Great report! And a happy birthday from me too! Love this kind of pics with lot of nicely painted figs!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 26 Jan 2022, 18:42

Congratulations Paul. So nice to see this backstage pic in the end. The battle report is great as well! Lovely painted figures.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Jan 2022, 17:32

Thank you Mabo the last picture is what wargaming is all about for me. Hanging out with my friends.

Return to Game Reports