Game Reports

Blackpowder Prague-ish 28mm report

Posted by PaulRPetri on 24 Aug 2021, 01:44

I was very fortunate to schedule a game for Sunday August 22 and have 6 brave wargamers turn up! Include me in the mix and we had a mini convention! We set up this largest game to impress a fantasy gamer who decided to give a large historical game a try. I believe he said this was his largest game he had ever played in.
So I decided to use a scenario more or less based on the Prussian attack on the Austrian right flank at Prague. The first picture captures the Prussians already on the move for a turn. I forgot to take pictures right away! Silly me! The Prussians mission was to take the hill. A fairly daunting task.
The stoic Prussians advance.
Dave the fellow with the hat drove over two hours one way to make it to the game. What a guy!
The Prussian left was the cavalry force that was seperated from the main battle line by a stream and the village of Sterbohl. If you look on the left side near the top you see a series of ponds. The Prussian hussars were offered to chance to arrive at the start of turn 4 on the flank of the Austrians above the ponds. They accepted!
I failed to take a picture of it but there were 6 spots marked on the table which would randomly represent the carp ponds the Prussians ran into. This was done after deployment. The green fields represent this. Cost double to move through.
A series of action shots.
The gold coins on the units was there first fire bonus dice.
The Austrian grand battery had given the Prussians a bloody nose and the Austrian grenadiers and some musketeers rushed from the hill to fall on the disorganized Prussians.
A big cavalry dust up were ultimatly the Prussian came out on top. Very hard fought.
Slugging it out.
It was at this point we remembered there was brigade morale rules. With this realization the Austrian grenadiers were removed from the field along with two Prussian brigades including one of there grenadier brigades.
A very anitclamatic ending to my pictures but the Prussian cavalry had won the action on the left but every Prussian infantry brigade had broken and the hill remained in Austrian hands. A joyous time was had by all. I have a Kolin scenario up next.
Thanks for stopping by for a look. Blackpowder are not the greatest rules invented but we can toss together a large game and play through it with the new guy Mike knowing the rules better than me by games end. He can read I have trouble in that area...
You know you have a great gaming group when I didn't have to pull out my musket not onceto settle gaming dispute!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Aug 2021, 07:41

A very nice looking game bringing back memories of Black Powder battles with my late friend Peter.

A fine looking pair of armies.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 24 Aug 2021, 14:26

Thanks Chris. I have been painting them off and on since 1987 or so.

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Aug 2021, 17:39

Why is It still smoking? BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 24 Aug 2021, 21:57

oops.... You caught me BB.. :-D

Posted by Rich W on 25 Aug 2021, 22:42

Looks like good fun, thanks for sharing!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 26 Aug 2021, 01:36

It was a great game Rich. It really recharged my mental batteries!

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Aug 2021, 04:11

Impressive board and armies.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 26 Aug 2021, 21:24

PaulRPetri wrote:oops.... You caught me BB.. :-D

So you lost? :mrgreen:

Great report and pictures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 27 Aug 2021, 01:19

Thanks Bluefalchion!!

Peter surprisingly I was on the winning side. I wonder if weilding a musket during the game had anything to do with it?

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Aug 2021, 08:03

A smoking rifle on the game table and you won? Do you have find new friends to game with now? Terrific report! It's always fun to see stuff like this!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 27 Aug 2021, 15:30

PaulRPetri wrote:Thanks Bluefalchion!!

Peter surprisingly I was on the winning side. I wonder if weilding a musket during the game had anything to do with it?

It sure can help you to win! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Game Reports