Game Reports

WWII 1/72 Fubar Market Garden

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Jun 2021, 22:55

I was lucky enough to organize a short 4 player game today. I have been working on some 1/72 scale WWII Operation Market Garden forces and decided to give the one page free rules Fubar a test. I have actually used the rules before for Star Wars and Starship Troopers games at conventions so I had a slight handle on them. It has been a number of years since I have run those convention games.
So we have two germnan players attempting to break through two players controlling the 82 airborne lines and sever Hells Highway.
I actually missed the first turn in my gaming excitment so we have a few US troops down in our first shot behind the American lines.

Close up some very silver washers!

The germans are massing on the US left flank. The index card on the left side of the shot was used for hidden and dummy units.

Germans hiding on the US right flank.

Same flank.

US right flank. The index cards are hidden or dummy US units.

Germans on the right flank with one figure down, suppressed in the rules.

The hidden US units on the left flank have been revealed and have blasted the Germans hidden by the town.

Germans trying to bring fire down on the hidden US positions.

Germans trying to screw their courage up to have a go at the American lines.

Germans using a short stone wall as protection from the buzz saw US fire.

Some US troops driven back from the hedge line. Naturally these are my guys!

My four brave fellows have recovered their wits and have just mowed down the distant Germans sheltering behind the stone wall.

More Airborne troops down in the center.

German troops caught in the open. Not good.

American left holding like a rock!

The above images actually represent two quick games we were able to play. Very hard to tell from all this is the Germans were shot down in droves and could get no where near the American lines. In the first game I had foolishly altered some rules causing some major game problems. We undid my foolish rules and had a second game, same scenario. The Germans had 6 squads to the US 4 and the US had one heavy 30cal machine gun. This unfortunatly was still not enough for the Germans. It would seem they need at least 2 more squads and a tank or a couple of halftracks. They are on the painting table for the next session.
This game has brought my wargaming experience full circle. As a kid I had Airfix figures for as long as I can remember. While in grade school, somewhere around 5th grade age 11, we built many American Revolution and Civil War dioramas for school projects. All with Airfix figures of course. As I moved into middle school age 12-14 I began building 1/35 tank models followed by 1/72 Airfix tank models. My school buddy Bruce and I began buying Airfix WWII figures and more tank models. I think we knew wargaming was out there we just didnt know exactly what it was. On a fateful day around 1978 or so we convinced Bruce's mother to drive us to the Squadron Model shop to buy more tank models. We were too young to drive at the time. As we walked into the shop we made it abot 5 steps when we discovered the Heritage Models Lord of the Rings lead miniatures. That was the end of WWII and model building. This lead into Dungeons and Dragons and many other projects as the years rolled by. Until this year. I am sure many of you have very strange wargaming odysseys much as I have had. Thanks for stopping by and having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 23:21

I like seeing those classic Airfix US Paras and ESCI German Infantry figures painted up and in action. Looks like there are a few conversions, too. Thanks for sharing.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 07 Jun 2021, 20:39

Thanks for sharing Paul! Great game! :thumbup:

Does "FUBAR" mean the same as in the movie Saving Private Ryan? "Fucked up beyond all recognition"?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Jun 2021, 00:25

Hello Peter
I was in the US Infantry and thats what it meant to us!!
So Yes!

Thanks for the kind comments!

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Jun 2021, 00:26

Here are the untampered with Fubar rules for those interested.

https://fubarwargames.wordpress.com/downloads/

Posted by Kekso on 12 Jul 2021, 10:49

cool report... thanks
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Game Reports