Game Reports

Another Black Powder2 SYW fight

Posted by PaulRPetri on 14 Feb 2021, 17:38

I hope this over large battle report does not bore the Forum folks. I was lucky enough enough to have two brave friends battle the sub artic temperatures here in Illinois to have a game yesterday. I put on a small SYW battle using a scenario from the mid 1980's Seven Years War Association Journel "Strike Against Communication".
The first image shows a fordable stream and the road that extends along the entire length of board that we as the Austrians have to control. The Prussians are on a hill overlooking the road and can descend and attach our flank as we try to secure the cross roads.

The second shot shows my Austrian cavalry blazing the way up the road but the Prussians begin to come off of their hill. Uh Oh.

A view from the crossroads.

Looking over the stream where my battle partner is going to have to cross to face the Prussian hussars.

The Prussian cavalry has responded to my challenge.

My brave Austrian cavalry getting ready for the coming blow.

In my excitement I forgot to take pictures of the sea saw cavalry battle. I won the first clash wiping out a Prussian dragoon regiment but was battered in secondary actions.

Prussian dragoons racing up to attack me. The bastards.

This shot shows the angry Prussians advancing off the hill and blasting some of my cavalry and my Austrian grenadiers on the right.

My final attempt to break the Prussian dragoons.

My grenadiers trying in vain to shoot their way through the Prussian line.

My Austrian partner has finally crossed the stream with one battalion. He had very bad activation rolls.

The Prussian cavalry closing off my advance.

Bashed in by Prussian aggression.

My cavalry in nearly surrounded.

Game was called in favor of a Prussian win. My buddies swaped commands and I remained wth my cavalry and grenadiers. Unfortunatly my bold cavalry advance met with a siiliar fate as in game one.

My dragoons are battling at the top of the frame as Prussian hussars sweep past my left flank.

In this game we were able to get troops in strength across the stream, top of frame, and my grenadiers attempting to close in on the Prussian line.

Things looking up for the Austrians in game two but it didnt last that long.

My Shaken Disordered cavaly being attacked by the Prussian hussars. I did not fare well.

My final, final attempt to break the Prussian line was not succesful.

I was on the losing end in both games but it was still great fun. We played our little hearts out from 12:30-8:00pm. So much needed pearsonel morale was recovered by all of us.
Thanks for having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 14 Feb 2021, 23:10

Great battle review! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 15 Feb 2021, 07:07

"I hope this over large battle report does not bore the Forum folks."

Not even close, Paul. It has the beauty of the figures & terrain & the historically very accurate ebb & flow of a SYW battle.

Lost twice? I'm sure you'd agree that winning & losing aren't vital for a great game. Nice to win & nice to go down, swinging.

I'm intrigued by your huge field guns. I have more than enough little battalion pieces but woud love some "heavies" - especially a couple of Prussian brummers. These look the goods.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 15 Feb 2021, 16:02

Hello Donald,
Now keep in mind this is my 28mm SYW armies. The Austrian guns I got from Venture Miniatures https://www.ventureminiatures.com/produ ... vignettes/

The big Prussians come from Minden miniatures which is now Fife & Drum http://fifeanddrum-minis.com/index.html

For my 1/72 SYW armies I use these 25mm guns from DPC http://www.dpcltdcom.org/rsm95_007.htm
Which to me look the proper scale.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 Feb 2021, 10:00

Prussians v Austrians, what's not to like? Two excellent looking army's having at it twice on the day is a proper advert for great gaming!

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Rich W on 19 Feb 2021, 18:26

Thanks for sharing Paul. All looks great fun!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Game Reports