Game Reports

Black Powder2 SYW Action

Posted by PaulRPetri on 31 Jan 2021, 18:01

Yesterday I was able to get another wargame in. It has been very hard year getting games going. I am very greatful that I was able to get a game in. I decided to pull out my SYW 28mm collection that I started in 1986 or so. To make things simple I decided to use Balck Powder2 as it is pretty easy to pick up. Although I made a few mistakes with Shaken units. Oh well.
The scenario had a Prussian force attempting to force an Austrian force from a town. This could be done by holding the hill in the middle right of the board, unoccupied at the start of the game, or storm the town.

Game start. View from behind the Prussian lines.

Looking along the Austrian left flank forces.

Prussian right flank force lead unfortunatly by me.

Austrian center holding the town. Yikes!

My infantry brigade in the right center.

My cavalry force moves into the attack. Things went well at the start...

The left flank Prussians attempt to advance but poor dice made things slow going.

Jagers attempt to flank the Austrians.

Now the Prussian left is on the move.

My Grand Battery trading shots with the Austrian guns in the town.

My initial Cavalry attack on the right flank had minor success.

My brave Prussian infantry has captured the hill!!

Left flank has halted again!! Oh no!

My brave cavalry starting to take it on the chin.

My ownership of the hill is being challenged!!

The Austrian right flank infantry has decided to advance to the attack!!

The Prussian right moves forward to accempt the Austrian challenge!!

The unorthodox placed Prussian cavalry in the center of the line is poised to allow a Prussian victory. On the left anyway.

The Austrian right has taken some hits from the Prussian Cavalry.

I am still holding the hill.... But my doom is on hand.

My Prussian cavalry has been defeated on my infantry was about to be assailed on it's right flank by the victories Austrian cavalry.

So in summary my total force was wiped out on the right flank while my Prussian counterpart knocked off the Austrian right. More or less a draw. But is was great fun!!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 31 Jan 2021, 20:21

Great game report with a nice table and lots of wonderfull painted figures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 31 Jan 2021, 20:33

This ticks all the boxes for me. I do like trying to identify which figures you've converted.

I have never used BP but I know it is a very popular rule set. Coincidentally, I'm working on some optional Command & Control rules for our own SYW rule set. These are for longer/bigger games & will use the time honoured written orders, carried by ADC figures from C-in-C to brigade commanders system. Such complexities add to the time taken for a game so will only be used for really big battles.

An indecisive result is, IMO, very much in keeping with the SYW where more often than not, one side is outmanoeuvred rather than annihilated. I'm sure a gentlemanly shake of hands followed the encounter.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Feb 2021, 18:36

An excellent visual feast for anyone with an interest in mid 18th century warfare. Great!!

I have the Black Powder 2 rules book but as a dormant/retired wargamer I'm afraid that I have never properly read through them and have never played them. I am intrigued by the significance of the orange and red markers - I assume casualties and/or morale, but perhaps you could provide an insight?

The figures are clearly very good sculpts and well-painted, but it would be interesting to know which manufacturer?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 02 Feb 2021, 01:23

Hello Minuteman.
The orange markers are to keep track of hits. The units with 3 orange puffs are Shaken and in real trouble. The red puff is a unit that is Disordered, anytime you roll a '6' when shooting or in Hand-To-Hand combat you Disorder the unit.
The figures are about 95% RSM which started life in the UK and were bought in 1994 by this company:
http://www.dpcltdcom.org
They are still available. The rest are Minden miniatures and a few Hinchcliffs. Both of those figure lines are still going strong.
Thank you for your very kind comments.
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Feb 2021, 20:10

Thank you for clarifying this Paul, and for the information on the miniatures used in your great-looking SYW armies.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Game Reports