Game Reports

The Battle of Prague a Practice game

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Mar 2023, 20:00

This past Saturday I was able to gather enough victims to stage a SYW game trying out some new rule concepts that I have been working on. I plan to run this game at the Annual Seven Years War Association convention which will be staged March 30, 31 and April 1st in South Bend Indiana here in the USA. For more details: http://sywconvention.blogspot.com
I try to run a game at the convention each year as it makes me feel like I am contributing in some form. Here in the USA, at our convention we actually play the game not just display it like they do in England. So it is helpful to have some functioning rules when you spring it on stragers who want to have a game. So here we go.

The following seven pictures I took were when I was setting up the battle. The scale of the game is that each infantry stand represents two battalions and each cavalry stand a regiment of cavalry. My 1/72 SYW armies are based for an old game Volley & Bayonet and I left them as is and developed my set to keep with the large scale of the game.

So the Battle of Prague, one of the larger SYW actions, fits on six foot by eight foot table. This next shot is behind the Austrian lines, more or less. The Austrian troops on the left of the picture will be deploying on the hills with the road on them just beyond them. They will be the only units to Start on the board on turn one. The rest of the Austrian army will be coming onto the table as the game progresses.

As promised here are the Austrians on the hill. I was in charge of this command for the Austrians and we did not know exactly where the Prussians would come on the table. The Prussian forces under King Frederick were free to enter along the entire table length you see them coming on from.

Thankfully I was quickly joined by some Austrian cavalry riding to my rescue.

The Prussian arrived to the Austrian front ,, this was actually King Fredericks flanking attack. The Prussians are pushing forward at break neck speed. Getting across the water obstacle quickly.

A smirking Prussian commander looks on as his Left Wing commander storms forward.

More Prussians of the Left Wing command deploying with ease!!

Good grief I am about to be attacked on two fronts by Prussian cavalry!

My Austrians on the hill were no match for the Prussians who cleaned them off the hill and prepare to advance on the open flank... Gulp..

Thankfully more Austrian forces are coming on to try and stablize the situation!

The center is having a massive troop build up!

A bit of a traffic jam for the Prussians. All three wing commands are now on the table.

Austrian cavalry trying to secure the Austrian left flank!

I was able to beat the Prussian cavalry thrown at me we are now awaiting the Prussian infantry attack.

This block of unstoppable Prussian infantry is about to put to flight my Austrian reserve infantry.

On the Austrian right flank our cavalry is attempting to organize a defense.

However the Prussians have come to contest this situation!

The reserve Austrian grenadiers did stand tall for several major actions but the end was coming.

The end has come. The Austrian have met there break point.

The following pictures were taking by other players and I will just drop these in for viewing pleasure. Fredericj directing the troops. Interesting hand sign.

So there you have it a Prussian victory but it was closer than it appeared. We actually made whole sale rule changes during the course of the game and much improvement on my system was made. Thanks fellas.

Also thanks for looking!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Mar 2023, 22:41

Impressive and colourful SYW armies, and a 'classic' mid 18th century battle too. A fine spectacle! And good luck with this game at the Convention.

I first read of the battle of Prague in the famous Christopher Duffy book, 'The Wild Goose and the Eagle', many years ago. It made me aware of just how wide and encompassing the Seven Years War was.

I am trying to identify the figures that make up your great table-top Austrian and Prussian armies, Paul. What make(s) are they?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Mar 2023, 00:13

Fantastic. Commiserations on your defeat but participating in such a great looking game must be compensation enough.

If possible, could you sketch out a breakdown of forces - number of infantry & cavalry units?
I'm always interested in how to scale down the bigger battles.

Also, what mechanism did you use to get troops on the table?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 02 Mar 2023, 00:27

Looks great Paul! Your photos do a great job of showing the scale of the battles-but it would be great to see some close ups next time so we can see the figures in more detail. Good luck at the convention.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Mar 2023, 16:40

Thanks for the kind comments Minuteman. The Prussian infantry is Hat, Revell, Zvezda and perhaps one metal unit I bought ages ago on EBAY no idea on Manufacture. Austrian infantry is Revell with some IMEX AWI fellows thrown in. The Grenzers are Airfix British grenadiers from AWI, they also are my hungarian infantry. Austrian artillery is Revell and the Prussians is IMEX AWI stuff again. All of my Dragoons are Revell Austrian dragoons, Zvezda and Revell hussars, Airfix Napoleonic hussars, some Italeri hussars for the Crimean war, and all of the cuirassiers on both sides are Napoleonic, from Airfix, Zvezda, Italeri and maybe some others I am forgetting. The command is from Hagen and Lancashire miniatures. Probably missing a few.

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Mar 2023, 16:41

Thanks for the kind comments Rich. My painting standard is the three foot type. No close ups allowed!! It would spoil the effect!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Mar 2023, 16:48

Thanks for the kind commenst Donald. I hope the pictures come out on the book I used for my force organization.

The map from the scenario book I used.

Prussian OB

Austrian OB

The scenario rules.

Posted by Minuteman on 04 Mar 2023, 11:26

PaulRPetri wrote:Thanks for the kind comments Minuteman. The Prussian infantry is Hat, Revell, Zvezda and perhaps one metal unit I bought ages ago on EBAY no idea on Manufacture. Austrian infantry is Revell with some IMEX AWI fellows thrown in. The Grenzers are Airfix British grenadiers from AWI, they also are my hungarian infantry. Austrian artillery is Revell and the Prussians is IMEX AWI stuff again. All of my Dragoons are Revell Austrian dragoons, Zvezda and Revell hussars, Airfix Napoleonic hussars, some Italeri hussars for the Crimean war, and all of the cuirassiers on both sides are Napoleonic, from Airfix, Zvezda, Italeri and maybe some others I am forgetting. The command is from Hagen and Lancashire miniatures. Probably missing a few.

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul. You have done a fine job mixing these different manufacturers' figures into some splendid looking units.

The diversity of sizes and sculpting styles for the plastic 1/72 figures available for the C18th does create challenges, and I always think that there has been a missed opportunity for the likes of Zvezda or (in the 'old and better days') HaT to create some really good SYW sets. Maybe one day, but no time soon it seems.

But, my compliments on your fine SYW armies. :yeah: :-D

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Mar 2023, 02:21

Thanks for the kind comments Minuteman! I assembled this army quite a few years ago. In fact all of the Revell kits were very hard to find and could be very pricey on Ebay. Hat was just releasing their Prussian figures so I had to work with with what I could find. In some respects I like my collection all the more because I basically created it out of thin air if you know what I mean. It has many faults but I like it all the same.

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Mar 2023, 10:18

PaulRPetri wrote:. In some respects I like my collection all the more because I basically created it out of thin air if you know what I mean. It has many faults but I like it all the same.

Exactly.

The bon mot to describe your eclectic collection is "unique".
I so much prefer that to armies composed of 300 identical marching figures from the same manufacturer.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 17 Mar 2023, 13:13

What a great battle report, very detailed with lots of lovely photos, looked like a great time! Would have loved to see it in person!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Mar 2023, 20:20

Ochoin wrote:
Exactly.

The bon mot to describe your eclectic collection is "unique".
I so much prefer that to armies composed of 300 identical marching figures from the same manufacturer.

donald

Absolutely donald! The joy and challenge of creating armies from a variety of 1/72 sets - some easier to use than others - is one of the main reasons that I have stayed with this scale.

Return to Game Reports