Wargaming Rules

Rules for Napoleonics

Posted by Adam on 10 Apr 2008, 17:04

Hey, its a forum, we're all discussing here so it's not my thread!

Sounds like we are after the same thing anyway!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by rpardo on 10 Apr 2008, 19:13

Hi
I think that command-control is the central point. I play solo so I don't like to know the exact move each side will make the next turn, however the options in war are limited so I don't want a fully random world. IMHO the best option is to assign occurrence probabilities to the posible options (in percentage) and then draw two decimal dice. :horse:
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Adam on 10 Apr 2008, 21:33

I think havign looked quite fulyl at the website it does seem to have that "random, but within a defined/bracketed probability of occurance" which you speak of rafa.

There seem to be several sets of the rules. You bought the fields of fire pack, but they seem to have the rules with the "les grognards" pack. Any reason why? Is it better? all it seems to insunuate is that FOB is a "quick play" version, but have you tried the other and is it thast different?
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Blicero on 11 Apr 2008, 04:02

I have only played a few games of FoB but I will try to answer your questions.

-“Do you think they could be modified to accommodate larger unit sizes (say 6-8 bases per battalion, purely for aesthetics?).”

Yes, in fact the author addresses this issue.

-Skirmishers

Some units can be deployed in Skirmish/loose order formation but only those that fought exclusively in that manner. IE dismounted cavalry, Guerrillas, “native” units etc…

-“would you mind expanding on the card idea?”

Each army has a “sequence deck” the composition of which is determined by the skill rating of its Commander and Chief. A good deck will have a higher number of movement and maneuver cards, while a poor deck will have more lull cards which allow no action to take place (or the enemy to steal initiative!) At the start of the turn, both commanders roll their leadership die and the winner determines who acts first. The difference in die rolls equals the number of cards that may be drawn randomly from the “sequence deck.” These cards are played one at a time and units may or may not act on the card. All movement, formation/facing changes, melee initiation, and rallying can only be performed with the appropriate card. As I said in my earlier post, units may fire at any time but cannot fire again until a firepower card is played. It sounds more complicated than it is; the system is in fact quite elegant and in my mind appropriately models the “friction” of the battlefield.

-“i don´t want little units, and i think i don´t have to refight a big battle to have fun.”

There is a recommended basing scheme, but no required base/unit sizes. I base my 20mm infantry 4 on 1.5 inch square with four bases to a battalion. This gives a unit frontage of 6 inches, with a regiment in line taking up 12-24 inches of table top. I play on a 4 foot by 8 foot table so I don’t refight “big” battles either!

-“FOB is a "quick play" version, but have you tried the other and is it that different?”

I have only played FoB. In “standard” Piquet the players do not get equal opportunities to act, and units must spend initiative points (the difference in leadership die rolls) to act on cards individually. This can result in one player marching up and down the table in one turn and the other may only act once! I like this idea…I understand Les Grognards has more “chrome” or period specific rules as well. I will probably look into it eventually, one rule set at a time!

I hope I have been helpful, as I said I have only played a few games. Check out this site for some good AAR’s using the rules:

http://web.mac.com/nataliendpeter/Site/PM_SYW001-1.html
Captain Blicero  

Posted by Adam on 11 Apr 2008, 08:54

Thank you very much Sir... you have been most kind in allowing us to waste your time with all these questions! It does indeed sound like the kind of ethos I have been looking for behind some rules.

I shall be purchashing next time the bank manager stops scowling at me! I think you are right, one rules set at a time, and it sounds like FOB is the slightly cheaper and gentler intro to this rule sets philosophy!

Again thanks very much, and thank you Rafa and everyone else for all your help,
it's much appreciated as I have been unsure of what to try as an alternative and all your input has help focus my thoughts
cheers
Adam
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by davbenbak on 22 Jun 2011, 16:19

I realize this post is a few years old but for the benifit of those of us new to the site...There is a new computer generated rule set called "Carnage and GloryII" that works great for keeping track of all the little things like casulties, fatigue, ammo etc. and lets you concentrate of gaming. Great for solo play! Available for several eras.
davbenbak  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Sho on 01 Dec 2011, 03:07

First question here was about Shako.
At first view it seems do be very good ruleset, but after testing it by year long internet game with FOG and real commanding..
http://www.boki.ee/Wargame/Borodino2010/Borodino.htm
I found, that there are some few but decisive outbacks.

I love gigabattles like Wagram, Borodino, Waterloo.. commanded at top level but consisting brigade level maneuvres on relatively small table.. with (as possible) few (exellent painted) figures.. so I decided write my own rules, called "Emperor". I write and test it almost half year now.
Here are one earlier simple and small testgame.. many principles there are changed for now.
By this rules OOB for Waterloo looks like this.. (without commanders and artillery)
Sho  Estonia

Previous page

Return to Wargaming Rules