Wargaming Rules

A song of drums and shakos question

Posted by Erik-Jan on 08 Feb 2023, 13:25

I plan on using some of my 20mm 1/72 figures for the game a song of drums and shakos.

What would be a good base size for infantry snd cavalry figures?

Also round bases or square?

Please help me out here, as im new to wargaming.
Erik-Jan  Bulgaria
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 08 Feb 2023, 14:14

Erik-Jan wrote:I plan on using some of my 20mm 1/72 figures for the game a song of drums and shakos.

What would be a good base size for infantry snd cavalry figures?

When we tried it I kept my usual base sizes - 15mm frontage by 20mm depth for the foot figures - that way I could use them in the other system I use for Napoleonics. For the cavalry I used 20mm frontage by 40mm deep. It seemed to work out okay, no problems.

Erik-Jan wrote:Also round bases or square?

Initially we used rectangular but you could use the foot on 20mm by 20mm squares, though I would keep the horse on the rectangular bases.
However, today I would probably base the foot figures on 20mm diameter round bases - because these days, we use other systems that use round bases and they could probably fit in with those.
TBH I really don't think it matters that much.

Erik-Jan wrote:Please help me out here, as im new to wargaming.

It was a few years ago that we played Song Drums and Shakoes. We didn't play it a lot but I do recall it was a fun system, it didn't take a lot of learning, it was a free download from somewhere, and it gave an enjoyable game.
Currently I use the Osprey Publishing Rampant series - Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, Pikeman's Lament and so on. I fully expect a Napoleonic version in the near future. There may already be one, but we haven't started to look at the yet.

Enjoy your games and don't forget to post pictures with your After Action Reports
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Erik-Jan on 08 Feb 2023, 15:49

Thanks a lot for the good advice steve :yeah:

20 by 20 round bases it will be gorcthe infantry figures. Good point about cavalry bases.. think i’ll follow your advice on thise aswell and keep them square
Erik-Jan  Bulgaria
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Wargaming Rules