Wargaming Rules

Dark Ages Rule(s)!

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Dec 2020, 14:29

We gave my new home-groan Dark Ages rules their first trial tonight.

It was a simple battle between an invading Saxon force & a defending Romano-British army.

The layout (before troops were deployed):

I wanted a terrain with as much forest as I had trees for & some period eye-candy.

Sadly, we got so engrossed in the game I forget to take photos. These all come from after it was all over: a bloody draw.

The game was relatively quick (about 2+ hours) & the mechanisms worked surprisingly well. A few "tweaks" needed so another game in the New Year.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 11 Dec 2020, 15:31

Great stuff as usual Donald. I love that watch tower!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 11 Dec 2020, 15:41

i love the cataphractarii and the watch tower !!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Dec 2020, 23:35

Thanks.

I know but it's all a bit a bit w-i-p. There's a unit of Thracians from Alexander's time (destroyed & removed so they're not in the later photos)that need to get replaced by some Newline Goths (as foederati), I'd like more woods but that's all the trees I currently have, and I'd like some Saxon-ish Longhouses in place of the possibly unlikely roundhouses.

Arguably, there are other issues - the Saxon cavalry......I'd argue they had them later but probably not in the invasion-period & the cataphractii. Now they are an indulgence & quite dubious. My inclusion of them comes from actual inscriptions that record Sarmatians (who did have cataphracts) amongst some garrison troop & the speculation that Arthur's Knights of the Round table might have originally been them. Tenuous I know.

This period won't get much bigger in terms of figures but I would (& will) sharpen up what I have.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 12 Dec 2020, 04:38

I Like the look of that battlefield, must have been an eventful tussle to make you forget the piccys!
What rules were they please, if you don't mind me asking? At the moment me and Herself are getting to grips with a set called 'Ravenfeast'.

:-)
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Dec 2020, 14:06

Long story that started with the SAGA skirmish rules, several years ago. As you know, about 20 figs a side creates a Saga game.

Needless to say, I soon had 100+ L. Romans & more Saxons. So I decided to write my own Dark Age Battle rules.

Bit of borrowing from 2-3 existing sets & a bit of my own input. I'm happy with the result.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Jan 2021, 01:44

I've added a Foederati unit of Goths to replace the stop-gap unit of Alexander's Thracians used in the above game:

The L. Romans will get another battle in about a fortnight.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by ToneTW on 05 Apr 2021, 10:21

Cool looking battle your armies look amazing! Lots of great inspiration! Be interesting to learn more about your ruleset!
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Apr 2021, 12:41

ToneTW wrote:Cool looking battle your armies look amazing! Lots of great inspiration! Be interesting to learn more about your ruleset!

Thanks!

The rules are probably awful. :-) If you'd like a copy, you can be the judge.
PM me with your email address & I'd be happy to send a copy.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Wargaming Rules