Wargaming Rules

The "F" word

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Dec 2020, 06:13

Those who know me, know I tend to avoid profanity - nothing smug or superior about it: others can speak as they like. Just a personal preference.

However, circumstances bring me to the "F" word. Fantasy.

Next Friday, my home-groan Dark Ages rules will get their first run. It will pit Late Romans/Arthurians against Saxons. The rules, as written, are straight historical but even when writing them, it occurred to me that I could add a mild magic element.

Provided everything goes OK, I thought I might devise a few extra rules, a few extra figures? I am a complete tyro with regards to Fantasy. I've never had a game of anything in the genre. So, period-specific suggestions?

And how to apply them? Cards seem obvious but could a side get an arsenal of 2-3 powers they can apply at their preference?

I don't want to add legions of orcs etc but a few figures would be mandatory...a Merlin etc? Umm....who makes 20 mm Dark Age fantasy figures?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 05 Dec 2020, 07:41

Hello Donald,

If you ask me, I would use the Caesar Adventurers. There is a figure you can use as Merlin, I think:

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=39

And there are also female Characters. I am not sure, but I think there is also a compagnion for Mordred. So maybe you can use this women here:

And finally there is the big range of Dark and Light Alliance figs. There you can have a look on their Amazones maybe.

http://theredbox.com.ua/set/134.htm

I hope this is of any help?!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Fire at Will on 05 Dec 2020, 07:43

You could borrow some ideas from Dragon Rampant the Dan Mersey book by Osprey.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Dec 2020, 08:37

Not that I have anything against Fantasy: it's just it wasn't in my horizon & I've pretty well ignored everything in 1/72. At any rate, thanks chaps for the suggestions.

A "Lady of the Lake" might be any early medieval woman, Mabo, so that one might fit the bill. I have other Mersey rulebooks. they're cheap as French Fries.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 05 Dec 2020, 09:47

Might help at having a look at 'Song of Blades and Heroes'. The rules have simple and elegant ideas for spell casting and other fantasy type wotnot. They do a King Arthur rules supplement too.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Return to Wargaming Rules