General Wargaming

Airfix from Yesteryear... again!

Posted by Harry Faversham on 19 Dec 2022, 15:15

Remember getting this set in the early 60s for Crimbo!
Now it's King Richard the Lionfart's Castle!

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 19 Dec 2022, 15:23

That castle is very nice painted! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Dec 2022, 17:24

Oh, how I longed for that castle as a kid. And when they reissued it I bought Sahara and La Haye Sainte first. And then it was gone from the shelves. Nicely painted! And those knights aren't from King John!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 19 Dec 2022, 18:37

Super, a trip down memory lane indeed!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 10 Mar 2023, 14:06

Back in the day, 60s that is, you could build massive Napoleonic Armies, financed by the brass from yer paper round. In them days of yesteryear, you were a bit stumped in the Cavalry department. All you had were heavyweight Hussars on spindly legged horses, and even dafter dwarf Curryasars! How then, did you depict the Scots Greys charging to glory, like in the film? Major surgery and a dodgy paint job, that's how!

:( :oops: :(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Mar 2023, 21:35

Those were the days, and desperate days they were too with two Airfix Waterloo cavalry sets (small cuirassiers, large hussars) and of course a set of useful US cavalry as well.

However, until Esci, Italeri and HaT came to the rescue, ingenuity could produce passable bodies of Napoleonic cavalry through conversion and optimistic paint jobs.

My first conversion was French cuirassiers into Polish lancers, Simply cutting the horsehair mane to make a czapka, a pin through the sword hand, Sellotape penons on the lancers (which always came loose) and paintjob.

Cuirassiers also made Carabiniers (plastic wood Chenille), French line lancers, British Heavy Dragoons, British Life and Horse Guards, and Prussian cuirassiers. Thick card bases to compensate for lack of stature.

Waterloo British cavalry (hussars) as hussars of any nation.

US cavalry as Scots Greys (with Airfix AWI Grenadier heads of course), British and KGL light dragoons, and most forms of Prussian cavalry (with French shakos). The rolled up sleeves of the US troopers were covered up with several layers of thick enamel paint! And then a suitable paint job.

Valises, rolled blankets etc all plastic wood.

Lots of work but happy days :yeah: :-D

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 12 Mar 2023, 16:21

Minuteman wrote:Cuirassiers also made Carabiniers (plastic wood Chenille), French line lancers, British Heavy Dragoons, British Life and Horse Guards, and Prussian cuirassiers. Thick card bases to compensate for lack of stature.
Waterloo British cavalry (hussars) as hussars of any nation.

Yep, British Heavy Dragoons, and heavyweight Hussars!

:-D :oops: :-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 14 Mar 2023, 14:57

Splendid sight, Harry! A real throw-back to days gone by, and you have done wonders with these old Airfix figures, conversions and all.

My own Airfix Napoleonic conversions are tucked away in a box up in the loft somewhere. I'll have to get them down some time, will bring back some good memories of battles fought on the table-top all those decades ago!

PS: I also have some of those old plastic alder trees that feature in your pictures, just the thing to create woods for wargames back in the 1970s.

Posted by MABO on 14 Mar 2023, 15:46

I like very much to see your old Airfix Figs painted and based. I am younger, so I played with the figures and did not know much about historical facts. When I have more knowledge about it, I have not started collecting and painting. When I begin with the hobby the golden age of 1/72 scale plastic figures started. So no need for converting so many figures.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 15 Mar 2023, 09:26

Minuteman wrote:PS: I also have some of those old plastic alder trees that feature in your pictures, just the thing to create woods for wargames back in the 1970s.

Here's Quatre Bras, done in proper 'Old Skool'. Last year we took a visit to yesteryear with the Airfix Veterans!

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Mar 2023, 14:16

Yep, definitely 'old school'! A tablecloth (preferably green if available from your Mum) over the dining table, and a time limit on game moves driven by family mealtimes!

Posted by Peter on 15 Mar 2023, 17:57

Minuteman wrote:Yep, definitely 'old school'! A tablecloth (preferably green if available from your Mum) over the dining table, and a time limit on game moves driven by family mealtimes!

Luckely these figures are based. My figures weren't, and when my father passed by, knocked his fist on the table......... it was game over! Earthquake he said! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 16 Mar 2023, 06:56

Peter wrote:Luckely these figures are based. My figures weren't, and when my father passed by, knocked his fist on the table......... it was game over! Earthquake he said! :mrgreen:

But that isn't nice!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 Mar 2023, 09:47

Our first table was a couple of pasteboards painted green. They had legs even spindlier than an Airfix Curryasar's, one nudge, then an hour spent standing all the Sowjers back up!

:xd: :oops: :xd:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Mar 2023, 21:12

MABO wrote:
But that isn't nice!

Ah it was just teasing! I think he gave some help putting them back on their feet. ;-) :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 19 Mar 2023, 14:43

Peter wrote:Ah it was just teasing! I think he gave some help putting them back on their feet. ;-) :-D

As it should be. :yeah: :-D
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General Wargaming