General Wargaming

Mollwitz

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Sep 2022, 22:55

All set up & raring to go:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Sep 2022, 05:18

3 hours saw the game come to a conclusion. Much like the historical battle, the Prussians triumphed but only just. It could have gone either way, right up the last game turn. The excellent Austrian cavalry crushed their poor Prussian counterparts whilst the Austrian infantry were as chaff before the wind of the Prussians. That Prussian infantry!

This was possibly one of the best wargames I've been involved in. Enthralling. The rules (Tricorne) worked well, The table & figures looked good. Companionship was very pleasant.

One little joke of mine was to place a very much needed Prussian cavalry brigade in an obscure corner of the table - wedged in by an impassable river. It took 5 Game turns for an ADC to reach them with orders to return.....too late to have an impact.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Sep 2022, 14:19

Very impressive and a visual feast to boot.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 22 Sep 2022, 19:55

Looks like a great game! And you did cut the grass before you started! I like that! :mrgreen: :joker: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Sep 2022, 10:29

Peter wrote: And you did cut the grass before you started! I like that! :mrgreen: :joker: :thumbup:

Those blasted Prussian infantrymen certainly mowed down my poor, hapless Austrians!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Sep 2022, 15:46

Those are great armies Donald! But wait no hints of an April snow on the field of battle?? I'm kidding!
I have been lucky enough to get to the actual battlefield twice, very hard to see much of battlefield and put it into some sort of perspective due to modern progress, but was still very cool to be there in person.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Sep 2022, 20:48

PaulRPetri wrote:I have been lucky enough to get to the actual battlefield twice, very hard to see much of battlefield and put it into some sort of perspective due to modern progress, but was still very cool to be there in person.

Lucky you! Not many battlefields to walk in OZ.....I was going to put "sadly" but on reflection, I'll put "luckily". I have walked a few in Europe & it's an educative experience.

BTW I'm pleased with 'Tricorne' but I'm going to look at changing it to a D10 vehicle based on your version.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 24 Sep 2022, 16:52

PaulRPetri wrote:Those are great armies Donald! But wait no hints of an April snow on the field of battle?? I'm kidding!
I have been lucky enough to get to the actual battlefield twice, very hard to see much of battlefield and put it into some sort of perspective due to modern progress, but was still very cool to be there in person.

More fine photographs of your impressive SYW forces, well done donald!

I have not walked the battlefield of Mollwitz, but I do recall that in the late Charles Grant (senior) book 'The Wargame', the big demonstration game is indeed Mollwitz...and from memory the Prussians won that time too! The Grant version was played using 30mm Spencer Smith 'old school' figures, and these were moved one by one - in the days before basing figures as units was fashionable. Given that there were several hundred figures involved in this Grant wargame, this must have been quite an effort.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Sep 2022, 01:53

Minuteman wrote: The Grant version was played using 30mm Spencer Smith 'old school' figures, and these were moved one by one - in the days before basing figures as units was fashionable. Given that there were several hundred figures involved in this Grant wargame, this must have been quite an effort.

Co-incidentally, we've had discussions on this topic recently.

We use movement trays for individually mounted figures in several periods. eg:

For our last Show game, we decided not to remove individual casualties because of the chore of restoring them to their correct unit. I even blu-tacked mine in for the game. Thus units may as well been ALL the figures stuck to a unit base.

So, discussing our Lion Rampant project, the topic of movement trays arose. I don't want to use movement trays. There's only a relative handful of figures to move (my retinue will be 60 figures) and I think this will emphasise that they represent individuals not some abstract mass all stuck together.
I will move them, one figure at a time.

One Man's meat, however.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming