General Wargaming

Do you ever get told to grow up?

Posted by Harry Faversham on 21 Apr 2022, 12:47

Nearest and dearest often say...

"Isn't it about time you stopped being Peter Pan; the boy who never grew up... and grew up?"

Well can't speak for anyone else, but it's easier said than done...

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Apr 2022, 12:57

Told, tried .... and failed
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 21 Apr 2022, 14:30

All my family and friends are supportive. I've always been an oddball so this is par for the course so far as they're concerned. It keeps me at home and out of trouble so the wife has no issues with it either. If plastic prices go ballistic it may be up for reconsideration however.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 21 Apr 2022, 18:43

Many people have said to me many things over this three decade...That was one of it...But now they can-t complain...I did everything they expected me to do...I worked hard, went to school, studied and in end I wasted my time...Now it is relax time...In the end I learned the trick in life is to not think...That is why TV is better than internet it relax...
Emperor  

Posted by Emperor on 21 Apr 2022, 18:46

Beside ,,They can say we should grow up, but they can never take us away our figures...,,
Emperor  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Apr 2022, 19:22

The planning, creation, and display of miniature dioramas of the skill here displayed is a thoroughly adult activity well beyond the abilities and conception of children. That there are other items made of plastic that somewhat resemble authentic military figures, but are in fact toys, does in no way change this fact.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 21 Apr 2022, 22:49

I can not see the picture... :(
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 22 Apr 2022, 05:10

This any better Mabo?

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Apr 2022, 09:03

I can't see the picture either. Just read the words. :oops:
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by DerkleinePUC on 22 Apr 2022, 12:09

Hello,
the truth about this topic theme is: When you do what you are told, have been told and will be told: YOU WILL GET - for sure - BORING!

Greetings

Patrick
DerkleinePUC  Germany

Posted by DerkleinePUC on 22 Apr 2022, 12:14

The small figures from childhood to mankind are the connecting key between past, present and future. "Damn, I don't have enough pocket money for the Airfix paratroopers!" On to: why are 169 new sets coming onto the market in one year? And then 2022: Why didn't I buy the Airfix paratroopers back then, 1979 for 5,99 Deutsche Mark, now they cost 50 euros.
DerkleinePUC  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 22 Apr 2022, 12:37

Harry Faversham wrote:This any better Mabo?

When I tried to use the link you gave I got following message:

"You are not allowed to access this section"

I think that's why we cannot see it.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Apr 2022, 14:28

As for myself,i'm far to busy growing down to heed the free expressions of others that are ever determined to grow up in their minds. i mean just how much growing up does a body of thought need ?

Most of my family like my stuff,that has piled up high over the years. Many even remember making paper puppets as children, and a cardboard stage to play out scenes with other fluffy toys. i am lucky i can still see their honest hearted golden memories shine brightly in their eyes.

:coffee: However they often Bulk at the price of what i spend my money on in my daily hobby.Collecting large armies is highly compulsive behavour of veterans of toy soldier play. One has just got to have some,then a little more. A bit like collecting Tadpoles as a child,only to end up as adults with full grown Frogs!

To stay on topic of this Sub-Forum ,that we kindly saved from being removed many years ago. :thumbup: i was a General War Gamer at 5 years of age,i took a hammer to the table top display my big brother Ron, had set up. He being a massive 10, at that time and from then on marched his way through life,never asking me to ever play again.
:sst: a little bit of this is true. :mrgreen: As for that little bit ,we will leave you to ponder upon and decide. :eh: I bet it was the hammer?

:coffee: i hope sincerely this has found you all well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 22 Apr 2022, 16:21

I have always been of the opinion that growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

People who don't know me very well have said this, to which I usually reply - why? I harm no one, it's my time and my money.

But those who DO know me, know that I come from a creative family - my mother was incredibly artistic and skilled, she made bobbin, or pillow lace, one of my older sisters is a technical artist, and the older of the two is a talented seamstress (actually they both are, but sister no 1 makes a business out of it).

On the male side my father was a model maker making 1/6th scale model horse drawn vehicles in his spare time, and my younger brother just retired from being a professional model-maker/teacher-technician at Loughborough Uni.

It's in my blood, that I do this, unlike the rest of my family, however, I play with my toys as well.

As a side note, my wife and I watched a thing called "The Great Big Tiny Design Challenge", on Channel 4, the participants were building doll's house furniture, but with time constraints, and it was competitive. There were a range of backgrounds and some cool skills in the contestants, and some of them made design choices that I disagreed with, but at the end Mrs P, told me that she thought I could have held my own among them.

My dad used to tour the UK with his models, using the display to raise money for the charity Riding for the Disabled. Over the years a huge number of people just stood and gazed at his models, and they got great pleasure from seeing them. Everyone, from kids and parents to old farm hands who used to actually use that sort of vehicle.

I don't have his technical skills, but if people enjoy my models in a fraction of the same way, I am happy.

And that is why I don't give a wet slap at being told to grow up!
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by MABO on 23 Apr 2022, 05:44

Harry Faversham wrote:This any better Mabo?

No. Unfortunately not... :(
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 23 Apr 2022, 08:35

Right, well it's a piccys of this sticker on mi' Wargames Emporium door...

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 23 Apr 2022, 12:16

Simple answer: No! :xd:

And my collection is growing with old stuff almost every month, with things I played with and things I couldn't get when I was a young boy! :sst:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by santifernandez on 23 Apr 2022, 20:47

I wish wars were like the ones we do in our homes....this is an art and we are creative.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 23 Apr 2022, 21:36

I'm curious how many here help mentor those of lesser skill levels? We all do to some degree when we contribute here of course but I mean taking time with a person, watching them work and giving constructive criticism? Formal apprenticeships are becoming a rarity and skills are lost when not passed on.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Apr 2022, 03:39

Bessiere wrote:I'm curious how many here help mentor those of lesser skill levels? We all do to some degree when we contribute here of course but I mean taking time with a person, watching them work and giving constructive criticism? Formal apprenticeships are becoming a rarity and skills are lost when not passed on.

I would like to live in a shack in Udo's back yard for a few years. I don't think my sons or my boss or my wife would appreciate it too much, though.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Next page

Return to General Wargaming