General Wargaming

My First Game after 3 years

Posted by Bessiere on 20 Feb 2022, 18:58

In 2019 I got back in to model making after a 50 year hiatus with the intent of making Napoleonic armies to game with. Knowing most rule sets are too complex I did a lot of searching and found Live Free or Die; an AWI rule set made by Little Wars TV. I did what I could to adapt them over to Napoleonic warfare and lo and behold my youngest son and grandson came to over to indulge me in a game. It took 15 minutes for them to catch on and for 3 hours we had a great time. They even want to do it again next weekend!
If you have to invent your own rule set to get going, do it. I could never have taught or enticed them to learn Snappy Nappy or General d' Armee. If I can get all the issues resolved I will publish my own rules as an entry point for beginners like me and my family. I would have been happy to hang out and learn from seasoned gamers but in their absence we carry on. This marks a true milestone for me in the hobby. 3 years of nearly full time model building and I'm just now getting to the intended destination point. I feel a bit more complete.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 20 Feb 2022, 22:31

Well done.

There are lots of rules on the market but the basics of movement, fire and morale are constants.

I use my own, with good ideas pinched from others.

Keep it simple and have fun .

Best wishes .

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Return to General Wargaming