General Wargaming

Back on track.....

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Feb 2022, 12:10

It looks like, after a two year break, our local Train & Hobby show will be on again this July.
We've been invited to participate by the Train club who run the event.

The question is: what game to stage?

There are possibilities but I'm leaning towards SYW. In 1/72 & using our existing armies.
These are my French & Austrian armies- about 25 units each. There are two Prussian forces that together will be slightly smaller than this combination. So about 1400 figures in total.
This shot from our first Show SYW game in 2016(this year will be bigger):
Train guy on left me on the right; pontificating as usual.

Apart from Rossbach, I don't think there are any "combined" armies battles in the period?
I *do* prefer to re-create existing battles but this doesn't seem possible for this venture.
The game needs to be a spectacle with lots of figures on our gigantic Show game table. Ideally, we'd use everything.

So this looks like being a devised battle then with a Austrian-French force facing the Prussians. We do have rather a nice star-fort model available.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Feb 2022, 11:49

Nice to see that things are 'back on track', donald. The 'train guy' can surely only have been impressed by the layout that you are 'explaining' to him in the picture :-D :yeah:

Just a thought/suggestion, but how about the Battle of Prague (1757)? Might create interest as the mention of a major world city as the site of a battle in the past often does make people think 'Battle?? What, when, and why?'

Prague might allow you to use your French as 'Austrians', and the really impressive star fort might be the outer fortifcations of the city?? If you baulk at using French standards for 'Austrian units', you might simply run up a few extra Austrian command bases using the HaT figures and put these (temporarily) at the head of your white-coated French rank-and-file?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 15 Feb 2022, 12:27

Minuteman wrote:Nice to see that things are 'back on track', donald. The 'train guy' can surely only have been impressed by the layout that you are 'explaining' to him in the picture :-D :yeah:

The Train club run the annual event which we've attended since 2005. We're generally the only wargame though there have been Warhammer games in different years. The 'train guys' regarded us as....odd? for some years. However, we were keen to pick up some terrain tips from them, eager to talk & the games themselves sparked interest & we now are an accepted part of their annual show.

Prague is not a bad idea. I would expect 98% of the crowd will not know of the SYW & probably 75% be unaware of a city called "Prague' so a few incorrect flags will not matter much.

I need to make a case for the SYW with my pals & there's a strong AZW lobby forming, so we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 15 Feb 2022, 15:50

That star fort is truly impressive. As will be the ranks and ranks and ranks of colourful units.

The convention attendees will likely be far less particular about historical accuracy when compared to, let's say, the master modelers of a certain English language international figures forum.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to General Wargaming