General Wargaming

The Vikings are coming!

Posted by Harry Faversham on 03 Jan 2022, 23:22

Here's the coastline along the Humber Estuary, a small, navigable river, leads inland to the pokey little village of Klee. It's a bit of a dump but may offer up some loot, slaves and livestock. Close by is an edifice anything but pokey... the church of the Good Bishop Bonk, crammed to the rafters with goodies. I'm hoping that some helpful wanna-be Norseman, will write a Saga as to where his three Longships would land. Crew these three Longships up and go A-Viking!
The Longships can beach anywhere you choose, the river inland can be navigated by the shallow draft Dragonships, if so desired. Divide this motley crew between the ships and away we go.

His Nibs the Jarl

2 Berserker Champions

2 Archers

3 Units of Huscarls

2 Units of Hird

Here's an overview of the Estuary. The glittering prize of Bishop Bonk's pile of riches. Two postcards of Klee, showing the long way round, and the direct but swampy approach over the bridge...
see you on the beach!

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 05 Jan 2022, 10:23

Great set-up. But I can not see the sails of longboats, maybe tomorrow after the storm in the northern sea? :shock:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 05 Jan 2022, 12:02

Mabo, maybe you can help with that? My mate, who was coming over for this game, has caught the plague, so the game's being played solo. I was hoping somebody would read this below and make up crews for three Dragonships...

His Nibs the Jarl

2 Units of Berserker Champions

2 Units of Archers

3 Units of Huscarls

2 Units of Hird

The Longships can beach anywhere you choose, the river inland can be navigated by the shallow draft Dragonships, all the way up to the Klee Bridge. if you would be kind enough to fill the boats and tell me where they're landing...
A-Viking we will go!

:-)
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jan 2022, 12:50

Nice set up harry. i like your rhetoric too. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 05 Jan 2022, 13:02

I would land the ships here on the right. Then you have open field to develop your army put the bowmen on the hill and storm the village.

MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 05 Jan 2022, 13:12

MABO wrote:I would land the ships here on the right. Then you have open field to develop your army put the bowmen on the hill and storm the village.

No good tactic! Obelix is defending that village! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 05 Jan 2022, 17:28

Thanks chaps, your kind comments, and input is muchly appreciated.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 08 Jan 2022, 03:08

In the dawn's early light, Longships ghost onto the beach near Klee. One disgorges it's crew west shore, keen to loot and pillage their way to the Church they've spied among the trees...

A second Longship beaches to the east, it's crew taking the direct route to the village of Klee, they are led by the redoubtable Bok the Berserker...

A third Longship, this one crewed by Queen Gobetha, renowned Shield Maiden, and her bodyguard of Veteran Huscarls headed up the River Klee in support of Bok the Berserker and his men...

Fortunately for the wretched peasants of Klee, a unit of Lord Putrid son of Putrid's warriors have turned up. They're on the way to Bishop Bonk's Church carrying their Lord's dispatch finalising his daughter's up coming nuptials, to be held next week in the good Bishop's Church...
Their commander sends a message back to Putrid's Great Hall telling him of the oncoming storm. He then takes his helmet off and scratches his head. He's torn between rushing to the village to protect the little Milkmaid he's sweet on, or making sure the Godless heathens don't ransack the church and make off with the Kingdom's treasure!

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 08 Jan 2022, 08:05

Splitting their forces is a tricky option for battle-scarred warriors of the North. I did not even consider that the Vikings could field such a large force. Hopefully Putrid's warriors will arrive in time to rescue the poor peasents.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 12 Jan 2022, 11:43

The Northmen storm ashore and the raid is on!

The Leader of the Saxon Warband finds duty calls, more than his milkmaid! Scattering fleeing peasants the column reaches Bishop Bonk's Church. The good Bishop, once a fearsome Warrior himself before taking Holy Orders, takes charge and prepares to defend both his flock and his Church's dosh!

First blood to the Vikings, Olaf the Woodsman is overtaken and butchered!

Meanwhile, Queen Gobathe's flagship, Long Serpent, continues it's early morning voyage along the River Klee...

:eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 17 Jan 2022, 21:10

There is more to come, as it seems to me...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Harry Faversham on 18 Jan 2022, 09:21

Much more to come. Sadly though at the moment, real life's reared it's ugly head.

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 29 Jan 2022, 17:27

Egged on by Bishop Bonk's exhortations, The Saxons draw first blood with a spirited assault on the Northmen!

Over on the far shore Bok the Berserker has reached the bridge over the river Klee. Seeing Saxon Warriors approaching he begins to roar a challenge and capers about a bit. A nondescript looking little Saxon, armed with a bow, takes a very dim view of this carry on, first thing in the morning. He is one, Digoth, the parish's most accomplished hunter...

Without further ado Digoth sends two shafts thudding into Bok's whistlepipe, giving the giant Viking a one way ticket over the Rainbow Bridge!

Harry Faversham  England

Return to General Wargaming