General Wargaming

Emdorf - sort of

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Oct 2021, 07:45

Our re-fight of Emdorf (1760) provided a challenging & entertaining game.

The table was set up, ready for play, as he historical ambush : where the unwary French were surprised by an allied force of Hanoverians, Hessians & British (represented by Prussians in my game) just outside the village of Emdorf.

The Allied commander was brutal. Two French battalions were destroyed in the first two turns

Initially, the only unit that could oppose the allies were a unit of French light infantry:

The French, outnumbered & outclassed, retreated towards a river crossing that promised respite

but the Allies were determined to destroy them, pursuing aggressively:

The French perhaps foolishly, turned on the allies & inflicted casualties:

But cut-off from the bridge & surrounded, they surrendered.

As one of the French commanders, I can say although we were soundly beaten, we put up a spirited defence.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PhilC on 01 Oct 2021, 09:33

Among the most impressive armies I have ever seen regarding this period, can't believe my eyes :shock:
Congrats!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 01 Oct 2021, 09:55

I agree, magnificent spectacle on a large scale!

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Oct 2021, 14:52

Very good to see your fine SYW armies out on the tabletop again, for what looks like a spirited re-fight.

I'd always known this battle as Emsdorf (with an 's') but I'll accept that spelling and place names being what there were a few hundred years ago this might be spelt in several different ways....with or without the 's', with two 'ff's and so on.

Great stuff, well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Oct 2021, 20:52

Spelling! My real enemy!! It is Emsdorf. Thanks for picking this up.

The French were my first SYW army but they haven't seen the light of day for about 4 years or more.
They tend to have awful leaders, the infantry is second rate & the cavalry prone to run away but their flags are awesome.

My more recent creation of the Austrians put up better fights.

TBH outnumbered &surprised , in the re-fight of Em-s-dorf (!!) the French actually didn't do too badly.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Graeme on 02 Oct 2021, 03:40

People do say that one of the big draw cards of this period is the beautiful uniforms, but this is a staggering display of colour and variety; I'm struggling to see anything you might consider ordinary. A magnificent sight indeed.

If those are Airfix Hussars I wouldn't have believed they could look so good.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Oct 2021, 10:31

Re: The French army of the 1750s/60s and their mediocre performance in the European theatre of war in the Seven Years War: Yes, a disappointing showing, reflecting not only a demise in their military effectiveness, but also the quality of their opponents. It was their fate, after all, to fight against some of the best-drilled infantry of the 18th century in the Prussians and the British/Hanoverian forces they came up against.

But, no matter: Your French army looks magnificent. And the flags are nice too, I agree.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Oct 2021, 11:06

The trick (as an experienced wargamer you know this), is to set scenarios the French are capable of winning.

For example, Emsdorf. We lost badly but it should be noted, in the 11 Game Turns, we won Initiative twice- poor die rolls.

Initiative can give tremendous advantage and had we won even 50%, we might have put up a more coherent defence & covered an orderly withdrawal. That would have earned us a 'partial victory' at least.

The other way to game with the French is to give them, say, 25% more troops. They usually outnumbered the Reichsarmee so this is not unhistorical. I have a scenario in mind for the future for Corbach which is such a battle.

BTW we also dice for the competency of generals. The French get a lower range but still can get decent commanders. In this game I threw between 1-3 for each CO - so "Incompetent". for every one.
A '6' would have gotten a 'Skilled' & 4-5 "average" generals.
As for troop quality, the Line & most of the Etranger are Second Rate, but Guard & Grenadier regiments & some Etranger are average & above. In this game, we only fielded the Second Rate.

So I still think that against the odds, we did not do too badly.
I will also write - & I'm guessing your in this camp too- winning is good but being involved in a wargame is the real victory.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by blacksmith on 02 Oct 2021, 11:34

Eye candy fest. Awesome armies and battlefield.
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Oct 2021, 16:14

Nice realisation, especially as a war game .

This period is really taking off in people’s imagination.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Oct 2021, 02:01

Donald what a great set up!! Your armies inspire much awe in me! What figures did you use for your French? They look terrific!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Oct 2021, 09:32

PaulRPetri wrote:What figures did you use for your French? They look terrific!

The infantry, Paul?

They're all metal.

The white-coated infantry are a make called Wodensfield (I think).
The fellow who sculpted them (& a decent range of ACW infantry) passed away, I believe, before moving on to cavalry or artillery. You'll notice the many small differences between the pose of the figures, giving them great individuality? eg even the two flag bearers are different & there are 3 drummers etc.

The Etranger units (the rank & file) are all one figure. It was the work of a talented amateur who I don't think ever sculpted another figure.

I made this separation because I believe the French Line hung on to old-fashioned uniforms for much of the war whilst the 'foreign' regiments started wearing coats with turn-backs.

Both moulds are owned by one John Cunningham who will cheerfully sell you figures for very competitive prices. I can send you his email if you'd like.

The Arqubusier de Grassin figures were another private effort. The fellow who made both figures gave me about 20. Some are painted as the Chasseurs d' Grassin. I don't know of a source for them.

cheers, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 03 Oct 2021, 12:09

Graeme wrote:If those are Airfix Hussars I wouldn't have believed they could look so good.

Them's not Airfix Hussars, them's impostors!

:P
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Oct 2021, 13:14

OK, I'll see you Airfix Hussars :

and raise you:

Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 03 Oct 2021, 15:12

They look like the finest light cavalry in the world you have there old bean. Is that an Airfix Hussar kettle drummer I see banging away, third from right in the top piccy?

:notworthy:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Oct 2021, 19:44

Thanks for the info Donald. I have heard of the Woodensfeldt??? Line before. Unfortunatly if the company is not in the USA the shipping has become a real issue of late. So I would be hard press to order any. Things have really fallen apart the last year and a half.

Harry those hussars are Zvezda Prussian hussars and not Airfix, good catch! I would bet that kettle drummer is an Airfix as I have a few of those in my ranks.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General Wargaming