General Wargaming

From The City From The Plough... To Normandy.

Posted by Harry Faversham on 23 Mar 2021, 16:24

Yesteryear: I seem to be spending more time there than in the real world these days. Saturday night's swirling mist of Tetley's Best Bitter fumes revealed a vision, that takes me back again, maybe never to return!
Neil Thomas is a ruleriter who I believe was cloned from the DNA of Donald Featherstone and Charles Grant so his 'One Hour Wargames' rules are nailed on, for mi' next braynwave.
Using the book's unit stats, two units will be created, one British the other German. The units will all be Airfix models from the dawn of time, painted as we did in the sixties...

British

One Infantry Company (British Infantry Combat Group)

Two anti-tank guns (6pdr. and carrier)

One Artillery Battery of two guns (25pdr. and Quad)

Tank Troop (Churchill and Sherman)

German

One Infantry Company (*)

Two anti-tank guns (Stug 111 and SDKFz.234)

One Artillery Battery of two guns (88mm Gun and Tractor)

Tank Troop (Tiger and Panther)

(*) Them vintage Airfix Germans with the drainpipe bazooka thingy and that little anti-tank cannon?

That should make a nice collection of the crappest looking figures and vehicles still in existence. When they're done we'll fight all 30 OHW scenarios in order and find out who really did win WW2 in yesteryear!

D+1

British

3 Infantry Platoons

2 25pdr guns

1 Churchill tank

Germans

3 Infantry Platoons

1 88mm gun

2 Anti/tank guns

The opening moves saw the British Infantry probing forward to locate the Germans' positions, supported by both their FOO and armour. The gunners ready themselves...

The advancing British are engaged by dug in German Infantry, these too are supported by a forward observer for their 88mm gun. Two anti-tank teams begin to stalk the British armour...
A devastating barrage from the 88 drives the right flanking British Infantry to ground, killing their Company Commander. Equally accurate fire from the Panzerschreck teams put paid to the Churchill!

Heavy return fire from the quick firing 25pdrs kills one German anti-tank crew and force the other one to fall back, quickly switching fire the gunners target the supporting German Infantry with equally potent effect.

Driven to ground by accurate artillery fire, both sides lay low, digging in and exchanging sporadic small arms fire as dusk falls on D+1.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 02 Apr 2021, 10:21

D+2

British

3 Infantry Platoons
2 25pdr guns
1 Sherman tank

Germans
4 Infantry Platoons
1 88mm gun
1 Anti/tank gun

During the night the Germans pull back and dig in around Hill 99. Looking through his glasses in the dawn's early light the German Commander realises his men have pulled back a tad too far, leaving a road junction dangerously exposed. Looking through his glasses in the dawn's early light the British Commander realises his men are now being overlooked from Hill 99. This must be taken quickly before the Germans have time to fortify it too strongly. Leaving a small force to hold the nearby road junction, the advance begins...

The Germans make a determined push to retake the crossroads. Inflicting heavy casualties on the defending Tommies.

An East Riding Yeomanry Sherman moves up to give support, but is spotted by a cunningly concealed Stug, hit through the turret the Sherman does a 'Ronson'!

Once again very heavy Allied artillery support, directed by a FOO from the cover of a ruined building, blunts the German advance.

The Rifle Brigade come on in their Regiments finest tradition, routing the enemy gunners from their positions on Hill 99.

The two Platoons then execute a telling counter attack into the flank of the Germans assaulting the crossroads.

Pinned down by accurate artillery, and under increasingly telling small arms fire the Germans are thrown back to and beyond their start lines.

Dusk falls on another hard fought success for the Rifle Brigade.

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Apr 2021, 16:49

It all looks wonderfull! The gaming table, the figures, the tanks and buildings! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 02 Apr 2021, 19:06

Thanks Peter. I'm finding that using 'One Hour Wargames' rules, along with the 'chance' cards included, are giving me some exciting solo games. Had it not been for the splendid work of the Royal Artillery the Rifle Brigade would have been in trouble... pretty much mirrors history so far!

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Apr 2021, 07:36

D+3

British

4 Infantry Platoons (A Company 8th Rifle Brigade)

1 25pdr guns (A Battery 'Chestnut Troop' RHA)

1 6pdr anti-tank gun (Northumberland Hussars Anti-tank Regiment RA)

Germans

3 Infantry Platoons

1 Tiger Tank

1 Panther Tank

1 Stug 111

D+3 finds the Germans reinforced with heavy armour and sitting on an excellent defensive line covering two small river crossings.
A Tiger tank leads a strong force of Jerry Infantry over the bridge and into the flank of the advancing Rifle Brigade. The Hussars try desperately to bring their anti-tank gun into action, the Tiger wrecks it before it can deploy!

On the right flank the rifles assault the bridge with great dash, running slap bang into camouflaged German armour. Tank hunting teams let fly with a volley of PIAT bombs, but it's a very one sided, but grimly contested fight...

Two Rifle Brigade Platoons, sorely needed at the bridge fight, are redeployed to shore up the threatened left flank.

The fight to take the bridge is relegated to a holding action, the Rifles only staying north of the river thanks to sterling work from the RHA. The aggressive Panzer Grenadiers, with heavy tank support, break through on the left. The one sided fight north of the bridge comes to an end as the Rifle Brigade Platoon exhausts their supply of PIAT bombs.

Ordering smoke from the Gunners the Rifles Company CO falls back, leaving both bridges firmly in German hands!

"Red Leader, Red Two, target spotted!

"Red Leader, got 'em Red Two!

"OK Red Section follow me. Here we go!"

:-)
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Apr 2021, 05:16

Dramatic stuff !! The Rifles are in a tight corner here, with heavy (Airfix) armour about to roll over them. But somehow I had a feeling that a Hawker Typhoon might appear to fly to the rescue.....I guess the Germans are now wishing that Airfix had made a light Flak model to help combat this new Allied menace. Just think how good a 20mm with a light truck to pull it and, say, an Sdkfz 250 as well would have been in a single boxed set.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 09 Apr 2021, 09:22

Next mission for the Rifle Brigade will be galloping to the rescue of the Paras fighting in the Orne Bridgehead, let's hope the Cavalry arrive in the nick of time!

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Apr 2021, 09:59

Sounds like a great scenario Harry!

Let's hope The Rifles have some extra reinforcement and beefed up anti-tank support to take on those formidable Airfix Germans.

It's not Airfix, but maybe the Matchbox 17pdr and tractor...a nice kit, small and very fiddly, but still of the 'yesteryear' period. That should give the Airfix Tiger and Panther something to think about...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 10 Apr 2021, 00:27

Good thinking there old bean. Trouble is, anti-tank guns don't seem to last very long in our games...

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Apr 2021, 07:53

A pure tragedy
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Apr 2021, 08:14

MABO wrote:A pure tragedy

Yes, clearly being an anti-tank gunner is a dangerous occupation. Give those Riflemen some extra PIATs and plenty of ammunition.....and hope!!

Posted by Peter on 10 Apr 2021, 12:49

Minuteman wrote:
Yes, clearly being an anti-tank gunner is a dangerous occupation. Give those Riflemen some extra PIATs and plenty of ammunition.....and hope!!

And he has to paint more soldiers! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 May 2021, 10:16

D+5

British

3 Infantry Platoons (A Company 8th Rifle Brigade)
1 Infantry Platoon B Company 12th (Yorkshire) Parachute Battalion)
1 6pdr anti-tank gun (12th Parachute Battalion)
1 FOO 1st Airlanding Light Battery RA

Germans
4 Infantry Platoons
1 Tiger Tank
1 88mm Gun

D+5 To the west of Ranville runs a small tributary of the River Orne. On D-Day a Platoon from B Company 12th (Yorkshire) Parachute Battalion captured the bridge, finding it substantial enough to take the weight of heavy armour they were tasked with holding it until relieved. Of course Jerry already knows all about the bridge and has plans to oust the Paras and take it back...

The Airborne man enter the woodland west of the bridge as Jerry Infantry move into the attack, a close range firefight ensues. The 1st Airlanding Light Battery RA FOO has spotted the Jerry's advancing in the open and whistles up his guns...

Jerry Infantry reel under the onslaught...

The Germans pour in more Infantry and bring up a gun of their own, the feared 88, to bolster the fight against the Paras. These units deploy further north using the wood to mask them from the British Artillery fire. Relief for the hard pressed Paratroops is forthcoming as Infantry and anti-tank guns push up the Ranville road and begin to deploy. They are only just in time as Jerry tanks and Infantry pour over the nearby Hill 76 and push hard for the bridge. Accurate fire from the Tiger and Flak 88 quickly knock out the 6pdr. and pin down the British Infantry...

The fighting among the hedgerows is at close quarters, casualties on both sides mount quickly. After an epic stand in the woods, against odds of four to one, the Infantry Platoon of B Company 12th (Yorkshire) Parachute Battalion) are finally overwhelmed...

The capture of the woods, although late in the day, allows the Germans to put flanking fire into the Infantry of A Company 8th Rifle Brigade. The weight of which forces them back over the bridge and back down the Ranville Road.

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 16 May 2021, 12:06

Nice game with those old figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 May 2021, 12:17

Hard pounding for the Paras and Rifles at the hands of Veterans of the Russian Front!

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 May 2021, 18:27

My goodness those figures take me back a long time.

I do not think I have ever seen them look so good, even the Paras.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 16 May 2021, 20:20

Harry Faversham wrote:Hard pounding for the Paras and Rifles at the hands of Veterans of the Russian Front!

I'm liking the simplicity of these D+ scenarios, with fairly small forces but vigorous action. 'Jerry' seems to have the upper hand, how will the Rifles and Paras hold out...?

As for the 'Veterans of the Russian Front'; my Airfix Mark 1 Germans fought every other box of Airfix Allied infantry going - including Commandos (of course), US Marines and probably even my friend's Japanese. Well, the latter were moulded in non-German grey, even though they were nominally 'on the same side'.

Posted by Harry Faversham on 17 May 2021, 01:12

C M Dodson wrote:My goodness those figures take me back a long time.

I do not think I have ever seen them look so good, even the Paras.

Best wishes,

Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Susofrick on 17 May 2021, 10:03

Drool time for old men!!!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by ironzentaur on 17 May 2021, 20:42

Yes! I like the old airfix figures very much! Seeing them proper painted is pure joy. And although i am not a really wargamer, i like these battle reports. I have preserved my childish mind and so, - my imagination is inspired again. Thanks for it!!! And please go on...!
ironzentaur  Germany

Next page

Return to General Wargaming