General Wargaming

Battle of Reichenberg - SYW

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Mar 2021, 10:22

Although the game is tomorrow, I'm already set up (I'm so organised!).

The historical battle was in 1757. The Austrians, under Konigsegg, were tasked with slowing down Bevern's Prussians.
The Austrians, although out numbered, had good positions, utilising villages & redoubts along their line.

The Prussians will be placed on the table by my opponents, tomorrow, after they view the Austrian positions.

What will make this battle different is that historically a number of Austrian line battalions retreated seemingly for no purpose.

To simulate this, I will throw percentage dice every turn, and if/when a score of 90% or more is made, a brigade of 4 battalions will be removed from the table; creating a rather large hole.

My opponents don't know this or the significance of my dice rolling each game turn. I'm hoping it makes them nervous.

Hopefully more photos etc tomorrow if I remember to take them.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Emperor on 13 Mar 2021, 10:38

Interesting wargame...And nice painted figures...
Emperor  

Posted by Minuteman on 13 Mar 2021, 11:43

All set for an interesting confrontation by the looks of things, donald.

Will be interesting to see the Prussians as they appear on the field of battle. The Austrians look to be quite strong defensively, with the occupation of the fortified town, village and field defences, plus holding the hill, and with the further plus of a good-sized cavalry reserve...but the unpredictable nature of the Austrian infantry and their 'retreating' may make things difficult for the Austrian commander to manage.

All in all, I feel on 'safer' ground with this one than with 'Durnford'. :-D

PS: Presumably your opponents will not be reading your thread here before battle tomorrow, re: their possible nervousness at your mysterious dice rolling....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Mar 2021, 12:41

They don't attend here so I'm safe.

The game will revolve around which turn the Austrian brigade scarpers. Early on, I'll be in hot water. Later, I may get some cavalry into the gap & save things*. The Austrians must hold out the dastardly Prussians for 10 game turns to win.**

donald
* Of course, I know they may run away but as a good and honourable player, I won't react until it happens.
** one reason I love the SYW is that it's not all about annihilating your opponent's army. Manoeuvre, holding a position or just staying on the field of battle can win games.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 13 Mar 2021, 13:43

Pandours in the wood:
The dreaded wolf pits:
The not-so-dreaded Reichsarmee allies:
Defending the village of Franzendorf:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Mar 2021, 15:01

Very nice indeed.

Interesting about whole sections clearing off.

That will make an for apprehensive afternoon !

Enjoy.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 13 Mar 2021, 16:42

I like the paintconversions from the good old Airfix figures! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Mar 2021, 21:10

Excellent stuff Donald. I have actually studied this battle a little bit. I was going to run it awhile back but never did. I had a hard time figuring out how to handle the 5 Austrian battalions in the wood line on the Prussian right flank. The were too sluggish to respond. The Prussians just march right past them and storm the redoubts! Classic stuff.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Mar 2021, 22:54

A real neat table display Donald. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Mar 2021, 07:51

Game over. The Austrians were doing well until in Game Turn #4, a brigade retreated from Franzdorff, leaving an ufillable gap.
Let it be said, they fought gallantly.

Set-up- Prussians:

The Prussians first attacked the Croats defending the wooded hills, on the Austrian flank.
Then advanced against the village of Rosenthal:
The redoubts faced a series of attacks:

First one was captured:
Then the village of Franzdorff occupied.
Then another redoubt fell:

The Austrians tried to plug the gaps with cavalry:

But eventually faced the inevitable & began to retreat:

It was a lovely way to spend a Sunday autumn in Brisbane.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 14 Mar 2021, 09:02

Wonderful armies and display. A pleasure to look at!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 14 Mar 2021, 11:07

Thanks for sharing Donald, looks great fun. Some nice looking units on the table! How long did the game take?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Mar 2021, 11:53

Rich W wrote:Thanks for sharing Donald, looks great fun. Some nice looking units on the table! How long did the game take?

Started at 10 am & finished by 3 30. I should add there was a 90 minute break for lunch with home made ravioli, chicken scallopini, a walnut & blue cheese salad, followed by home-made merengues. And two bottles of red wine. My wife, Italian, likes cooking for the boys who are appreciative.

It's a tough life......

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 14 Mar 2021, 15:06

Ochoin wrote:Started at 10 am & finished by 3 30. I should add there was a 90 minute break for lunch with home made ravioli, chicken scallopini, a walnut & blue cheese salad, followed by home-made merengues. And two bottles of red wine. My wife, Italian, likes cooking for the boys who are appreciative.

It's a tough life......

donald

Excellent photos of the Prussians, thanks! Your SYW armies are looking most excellent.

It sounds also as if you dine in the style of the Archduke Charles, donald. :-D Surely King Frederick would have made do with a roast chicken leg and a hefty swig of fine French brandy, taken in the saddle? As an amateur chef myself, your wife's board of fare sounds most impressive.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 14 Mar 2021, 16:07

Boy I wish I could have been at that game Donald. That looked fantastic plus that lunch!! WOW!

I'm feeling a bit shame faced as I am hosting a game today and the most the men can look forward to is delivered pizza at games end!! Yikes!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 14 Mar 2021, 17:17

The Austrians may have been less than successful, but I believe your wife should possibly be declared the MVP of the whole entire endevour!

Thanks for setting up this scenario, playing it out, and sharing the story and photos with us. Now I am going to dream of home-made ravioli...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 14 Mar 2021, 21:10

Great work Donald...
Emperor  

Posted by Peter on 17 Mar 2021, 17:35

Another great game, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to General Wargaming