General Wargaming

Yesteryear...

Posted by Peter on 19 Mar 2021, 08:59

Harry, don't know why you use this :( smiley, because I like what I see. I know those figures are not the best, but they are old (1961!). As said I like it and they fit well in this topic! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 19 Mar 2021, 12:35

Thanks for that Peter, much appreciated. Actually it makes me smile ( :-D ) to think of some of our young whippersnapper wargamers looking at the models and figures and thinking...
is that wot they had to play with last century!

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 29 Mar 2021, 11:08

The Germans get a bit of firepower. The Airfix Panther is a mysterious looking big cat, all we know for certain is that it's the mark/version, without a rear hatch!

Next up is an Airfix classic... The venerable Stug!!!

:-)
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Minuteman on 29 Mar 2021, 22:38

The Germans are all looking pretty good! I'd have been proud to have owned these Airfix models painted in this style back in the 1970s. Back then, I found the 88mm gun a bit 'fiddly' to build...and I couldn't understand why the painting guide for the Panther specified sand yellow: and Airfix 'sand' or whatever the colour was was definitely not dunkelgelb.

A great shame that Airfix didn't put some crew in with the 88mm (and ditched the awful passenger half-track figures). Your converted infantry -> gun crew don't look half bad Harry.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 29 Mar 2021, 23:37

Bang on About the 88, but it was the Tractor that stumped me... again!!!
Despite the advantage of half a century's experience since building the previous one, I still finished up with one wheel left over!

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 03 Apr 2021, 05:23

An Airfix classic the 88mm gun's tractor...

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Apr 2021, 11:30

A fine looking 88mm tractor!

The first time I attempted to build one of these I lost one of the tiny headlights, the front end was covered in Airfix glue, and a kept the canvas tilt detachable, so that I could stash a couple of Airfix first generation German Afrika Korps riflemen lying on their side underneath, for 'transport' purposes. I was about 9 or 10 at the time, and I thought at that early stage in my wargaming career that this would make sense. Inevitably, I lost the canvas tilt!

I have about a dozen of these venerable half-tracks in my collection, but this one looks super Harry. Just right for a charabanc outing to Mortain, Villers Bocage or wherever.

Posted by Graeme on 03 Apr 2021, 15:47

WWII modeling is not really my thing but I've enjoyed watching this and the battle report on the other thread. Your table top is terrific and those old Airfix tanks and guns are looking very fine.

As for the Combat Infantry Group well, they looked dodgy to me in the sixties. :xd:

Fire at Will wrote:The other fun is the character armed with a Panzerfaust, which everyone assumed was the loader for the Panzershreck

Never mind mistaking the panzerfaust for a panzershrek round (which I did); I've been looking at those last two pics with the haystack in the background and wondering why there's a giant, golden, seated Budda in N.W. Europe. :oops:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Harry Faversham on 03 Apr 2021, 17:18

Graeme wrote:Never mind mistaking the panzerfaust for a panzershrek round (which I did); I've been looking at those last two pics with the haystack in the background and wondering why there's a giant, golden, seated Budda in N.W. Europe. :oops:

It's for that bloke with the giant lollipop/panzerfaust thingy to hide in till a Sherman trundles into range!

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 04 Apr 2021, 07:20

I have all these sets at home as well. First for building my collection, but also to hold on to the old times. So I love this topic. And I hope I find the time to build them all like you did.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 10 Apr 2021, 07:12

People of a certain age will really need their rose tinted glasses on for these lads... Airfix Paratroopers!
Back in the day there was a film called 'The Red Berets' starring Alan Ladd, we saw it at the fliks one Saturday afternoon, and the 'Red Devils' became our new Heroes! Trapped in a minefield our Hero blasted a way out with a Bazooka and one the day for good old Blighty.
Compared to the pygmy sized Airfix British Infantry, the Paras were proper sized men, festooned with grenades and special equipment, we loved 'em... Private Alan Ladd was there with his Bazooka and trusty loader, and the prone Tommy-Gunner was who I wanted to be when I grew up...

:eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Apr 2021, 07:45

I have them also in an original box after all these years. Good paintjob. Makes me immediately wish I had painted them too.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Apr 2021, 08:07

Ah, those Airfix Paratroops, what a strange set....an assortment of weaponry that bears little resemblance to Lee Enfields Mk 4 and Stens, not a Bren Gun or PIAT in sight, and a few chaps with Thompsons trying to shoot down their own transport aircraft??

But you've done as good a job as anyone could with the 'useful' poses from the set here, Harry.

Posted by Peter on 10 Apr 2021, 12:45

These are childhood memories. Never painted them, and I have a lot of them, loose figures! ;-)

Real nice paintjob on these figures Harry! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Harry Faversham on 11 Apr 2021, 10:50

In a set full of very strange poses this chap takes the prize...
Paratrooper about to do a cartwheel over his drop container!!!

:eh:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Michael Robert on 11 Apr 2021, 13:11

Hello Harry,
oh yes, I remember these too, including the old Airfix Germans. All mine died heorically in the sandbox at the time. The paratrooper pose struck me as well, but we didn't think abot it much. Since the guy is not really warring he didn't have an important role to play. That's it.
Yesteryear - true
Cheerio
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 02 May 2021, 08:58

I'm rambling on about 'yesteryear' again, so might be forgiven for a tad of forgetfulness?
When I finished the German's infamous all rounder I completely forgot it came with wheels, an oversight that's now been rectified!
88 skulking in a hedgerow...

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Previous page

Return to General Wargaming