The rules this time were:

The duel between two members.
- Each paint a different small gladiator
- set Pegasus 7100
- Sand colored round base
- 2 pictures
- White background

You have a week to choose your winner.
Once again gentlemen take your places and may the best painter win.
Please leave comments after the duel has finished

"There will be blood"

vs

"Favorite little Thraex"

Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Dad's Army on 24 Mar 2021, 10:06

Sorry you had to wait for the results, Daddy has been sick the last few days.
But now the result:
The winner is PhilC (Phil) who also successfully completed his 2nd game, maybe he would go against Mr. X must try.
His opponent was Bleufalchion (Aaron).
It was another fun game, thanks to all the members who took the trouble to cast their votes, congratulations Phil and Aaron better luck next time.
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 24 Mar 2021, 12:34

Great duel. I've voted for Aaron's shield.... although PhilC's skin is awesomely painted.

Dad's Army wrote:Daddy has been sick the last few days.

One does not simply eat ice cream on cold weather :xd: . Stay safe dear friend :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Mar 2021, 13:08

Another nice duel. Didn't remember these figures at all. But it was great to see them painted like this. Voted on Aaron (yes, you can send Remco's icecream to me (it will just melt on the way to the Netherlands)).
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 24 Mar 2021, 13:45

These are both giants of the art. I couldn't decide in time.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Mar 2021, 16:03

Wow what a fun duel! PhilC, you continue to amaze. Great job on your small gladiator and congrats on your win. Well deserved. This one was interesting enough for a write-up and some additional pics. I will post in gallery soon.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 24 Mar 2021, 22:14

Fantastic painted from both of you, but Phil was a little bit better as Aaron! :-D ;-) :thumbup:

@Remco: hope you're feeling better now. In the mean time I'm testing if your medicine is good enough for you! :mrgreen:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 25 Mar 2021, 05:21

Congrats PhilC, but also Aaron. A really unexpected topic for a duel. I really love the skin of the first one.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 26 Mar 2021, 10:20

You are spoiling us with all these unexpected duels, keep going, it's really entertaining. I used that figure and others from that Pegasus box to build my DBA Spartacus army. They are really nice.
Phil got my vote, though Aaron tempted me with his shield. Thanks to both!
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by PhilC on 26 Mar 2021, 21:43

Thank you for your votes and comments. I must admit that, at first, I was a bit reluctant at the idea of painting with rules and delay. Not that it is too much stress (I have my share at work, or on stage when playing music, I can say I am accustomed to it), but painting figures is maybe the only thing that can clear my mind, so I like that as a free hobby, without any constraint.
Bluefalchion's idea was unusual, but attractive. A gladiator dwarf is really a very small figure - it has more to do with 15mm than 1/72 ;-) So, how do you show your painting skill ? The best thing to do is to paint an attractive shield - an item that Bluefalchion did paint very very well. To say the truth, I don't how it is possible to paint something so small. I love painting shields, but this one was too small for me. So I focused on the skin. The result is not too bad, but could have been better with 2 or 3 more layers on it. And I added two bloody injuries, on the back and on the left leg, but my pictures are not that good, not sure it was too easy to see.
I'm also happy with the metallic parts of my figure, although there is a lack of dark brown in the holes of the front grid.
As a conclusion, i think that Bluefalchion could have won, thanks to his marvelous painting on the shield, so this was an interesting contest.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Mar 2021, 15:10

PhilC--

I am very glad you set aside your reservations and agreed to this duel. Now will you retire undefeated or duel again in a few weeks or months? I think I have learned my lesson, but there are other fantastic painters in this forum who might give you more of a challenge.

Some of my very best entries have got fewer votes than the opponent, and some of the contestants I struggled with the most won by 20, so outcomes are difficult to predict. This small gladiator is, in my opinion, one of my best.

Posted by PhilC on 27 Mar 2021, 16:20

A good aspect of a duel is to be compelled to paint something better than usual. Another aspect is to count the votes, but it's far less interesting, in my opinion :mrgreen:

I would be delighted to be involved in other duels, the first two helped me to go a step further. But I always need time to paint, not that I am particularly slow (I am, yes, but this dwarf took me about 2 hours), but because there are many other things to do in one day, and my job may be sometimes very time consuming - that's why it took me several days to answer this post :-D
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Mar 2021, 18:06

Uh...two hours? Then I won't mention how long I worked on my entry, to reduce further humiliation. But it was quite a bit longer...

Posted by PhilC on 29 Mar 2021, 08:02

Bluefalchion, don't forget that I didn't even try to paint anything on this tiny shield, when yours is a true example of craftsmanship ! I would guess that the shield alone needed more than two hours.

On my side, I would count 2 hours of active painting, in small sessions during about 2 weeks. Since I heavily rely on the wash technique, my figure spent several hours drying before the next layer.
PhilC  Europe

Posted by Kekso on 29 Mar 2021, 13:05

2 hours of painting and 5 hours of fixing in Photoshop :D :D :D

Just kidding. My respect to PhilC
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to The Duelling Field