Tutorials

Tips and tricks for painting barding please...

Posted by Harry Faversham on 10 Oct 2021, 15:28

Anyone got any? I'm on with King Richard the Lionheart and am dreading having a go at the three lions. I once saw a 'how to' on fleur de Lys and wondered if any of our experten know of one on how to do a passable lion!?

:(
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 13 Oct 2021, 12:47

Mission = catastroffic disaster!!!

:(

Lion number one turned out like a Lowry painting cat, lion number two out like a Lowry painting dog, lion number three turned out like one of them ACW picket fence thingys.
Morale test went well into the minus side of the scale... so I've ordered some transfers!

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Michael Robert on 13 Oct 2021, 18:15

Hello Harry,
seems you obtained the answer by yourself :-)
Personally, I like to paint my own flags and crests, etc. It seems not dominant among most gamers who prefer highly detailed printed flags, but in my case I want to do the painting part and I like the non-perfect look.

So when I paint a lion or alike I follow some rules - these will not assure you success. Only trial and error and then try again and again will.
So here my few penny's worth:
- when you paint a crest you need to "insert" it into its surroundings. So the lions have to "fill" the entire space. It is good to subdividein your mind beforehand
- paint the main elements with as little strokes as possible. The finer details can come later. First you need the general lay-out and the famous "space filling"
- painting tiny miniatures means that you need a fine-tipped brush. Doesn't need to be a tiny brush, but a very fine tip
- put only very little paint onto the tip to avoid drowning and apply with small movement with the tip
- for tiny details I use a magnifying glass on my nose and I search a relaxed seated position with both, model and painting hand, well supported and stabilized
I think that's about it. Ah yeah. Having a good model to copy always helps
... and then it's all about trying

Have fun... and show us the result :-)
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 18 Oct 2021, 11:08

King Harry the Lionfart, most gallant and noble Knight, in the Realm of the Oblong Table...

Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Oct 2021, 15:07

No white feather for you this time harry!
Excellent repetitive Lion painting. :thumbup:
As for the galloping rest,they all look pretty darn cool. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 18 Oct 2021, 15:15

Yep, hand steady as a rock and the minces of a hunting Eagle...
all those skills failed me miserably...
them's transfers!!!

Harry Faversham  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Harry Faversham on 19 Oct 2021, 12:12

King Harry will be leading his Knights of the Oblong Table, this Wednesday afternoon, on a raid to punish Ser Barrington-Bonehead for dastardlies committed!

:shock:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Nov 2021, 17:53

I love the setting, not only because I have the same castle at home. And it might not help anybody, but my lions are also more cubism...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by AdrusBarba on 24 Mar 2022, 09:37

Something must kill a man
AdrusBarba  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 24 Mar 2022, 15:36

Gorgeous table Harry. The castle looks to be scratch built - is it? Have a fantastic game.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 24 Mar 2022, 15:41

For me it was helpful in making a Bavarian flag to prime it white then sketch out the design using a very soft 2 -6b pencil sharpened to a fine tip taking care not to scratch the primer off as you draw. For engraving I used to use a mix of tallow and beeswax which was applied to the surface then fine white powder of any kind would stick to it creating your drawing surface.
Bessiere  United States of America

Return to Tutorials