Tutorials

Normandie houses and interiors

Posted by Michael Robert on 25 Apr 2021, 17:52

Hello,
well, my contribution is not really a tutorial, but I hope it will find some interest. I want to show typical Normandie houses and some interiors, too.
Quite often, I see dioramas or even commercialized model houses with the term "Norman house". Very rarely, it corresponds to one. The description "Normandie house" simply creates a link to '44 invasion. Otherwise, such houses correspond to indistinct Western European houses - absolutely indistinct and featureless.
That is a shame because there are some very characteristic and typical types of houses in Normandy, and these actually even correspond to a majority of houses. Just like the landscape is very distinct.
First of all, Normandy is characteristic of quite a lot lone-standing houses scattered in the countryside (a bit like southern England). Everything is somewhat hidden, roads, houses, fields behind scrubs, hays and small woods. Small hamlets are encountered everywhere.
Two types of houses really stand out. First, the houses with logs or timbers apparent ("maison à colombages"). These exist as small farm houses everywhere. They are usually with one level even to the ground and a further level under the roof. Reet roofing is very typical and a real Normandy classic ("chaumière"). Other roofing is from black shingles ("ardoises"). These timbered houses are also found in towns. In that case they have 2 storeys.
The other type of houses is the land-owner type house called "maison de maître". These exist in different sizes and can be found lone-standing in the countryside (with farm depencies in form of half-timbered granges nearby). These houses always have minimum 2 levels and are made from red brick which - at least in the countryside - is left apparent. In towns such houses are usually covered with plaster (?).
This maison de maître type is always highly symetrical and has at least 4 rooms. Variants exist in all sizes, some reaching the style of a small palace. Some are tiny (always to today's standards).

Interiors of Norman houses are small. Rooms and chambers are realy small to toay's standards making classic Norman houses not so popular to live in. Very often people convert old granges to modern houses (with apparent timber) or recreate "Norman style" houses, but with modern sizes.
Insides, have apparent timber, clay-tiled floor and an open fore space (open chimney). All rooms communicate - you have to pass one room to reach the next (no corridors), in French "enfilade".
Hope you find this useful
Michael

Maison à colombages et chaumières

Maisons de maître

Intérieurs Normands

Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 25 Apr 2021, 18:43

Holiday feeling!!!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 25 Apr 2021, 19:00

Michael Robert wrote:Hello,
well, my contribution is not really a tutorial, but I hope it will find some interest. I want to show typical Normandie houses and some interiors, too.
Quite often, I see dioramas or even commercialized model houses with the term "Norman house". Very rarely, it corresponds to one. The description "Normandie house" simply creates a link to '44 invasion. Otherwise, such houses correspond to indistinct Western European houses - absolutely indistinct and featureless.
That is a shame because there are some very characteristic and typical types of houses in Normandy, and these actually even correspond to a majority of houses. Just like the landscape is very distinct.
First of all, Normandy is characteristic of quite a lot lone-standing houses scattered in the countryside (a bit like southern England). Everything is somewhat hidden, roads, houses, fields behind scrubs, hays and small woods. Small hamlets are encountered everywhere.

Thank you for these. They are a beautiful and very useful reference for the area's traditional vernacular architecture. I'm downloading them to my computer for future reference.

I think a lot of the models available are modern, non-vernacular so that can be used across a wider area than just Normandy. However, I agree there should be more buildings like this scattered about. I may have to have a go at some of these.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 26 Apr 2021, 16:17

Thanks for the info and pics Michael. Are you aware of any folk museums in the Normandie area by the way?
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 26 Apr 2021, 17:09

Real nice houses! I like them a lot! :thumbup:

Are they for sale? I'm looking for something small for the misses and me! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 27 Apr 2021, 11:59

Thank you Michael!
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Michael Robert on 28 Apr 2021, 17:25

Thanks for the replies - so some interest :-)
Dear Hobbyinnovator, to my knowledge there is no museum as such for these. However, these houses are abundant. 100 years ago all houses were like that. Now most of them tend to be abandoned with exception of the bigger ones which become secondary flats or holiday flats. There are some areas where there are really many and the countryside is particularly noteworthy, i e. Les marais Vernier close to Seine eStuary.

Peter some of these houses you can buy real cheap, i e 60 k. They have even the possibility to connect electricity and running water :-)
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by Peter on 28 Apr 2021, 22:03

:-D I think I stay in my cave! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Apr 2021, 17:17

Open your mind and make your little boxes. That's what i used to say to my students on day one. Why so? Well that is a jolly good question, it is because to me everything seems to be some kind of box shape and design. i hope good hobby days lay ahead for you. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Tutorials